User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Trentham View Post
    The question of logistics with the local fire departments is pretty simple really - the county in question doesn't set aside tax money to fund a rural fire department, so residents outside city limits rely on the protection of the City of South Fulton fire department in exchange for the aforementioned $75 per year fee. The fee is basically a de facto tax paid in exchange for fire services, except that unlike a tax, it is voluntary.

The City fire chief was within his rights to refuse service. I don't believe the insurance company would have much of a liability case against the department. I'm guessing they would hold the homeowner at fault for refusing to pay the fee. I also understand the precedent that would be set if they'd gone ahead and put out the fire - it would be a slap in the face of all the homeowners who had paid the $75. Ideally, the homeowner could have reimbursed the department for the full monetary cost to extinguish the fire, although this would seem unlikely.
    This, pretty much. I don't think enough attention has been paid to the fact that this guy does not live in South Fulton and that his own municipality has decided not to provide a fire department. I feel bad for the guy, but what he did is like deciding not to have homeowner's insurance. You take your chances. If the firemen had put out the fire, that would be a tacit message that you don't really have to pay the fee. I bet everyone will pay the fee next year.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

The just thing to do would be to let it burn

The logical thing to do would be to put it out

What a strange predicament...

MBTI
    ENFJ

OR they can just make the $75 an actual tax next year.

Lesson #1 of American Independence -- voluntary taxes are a shitty idea.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    OR they can just make the $75 an actual tax next year.

Lesson #1 of American Independence -- voluntary taxes are a shitty idea.
    The problem is that the city of South Fulton has no right to assess tax on people who don't live in the city. That's why it has to be voluntary.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    The problem is that the city of South Fulton has no right to assess tax on people who don't live in the city. That's why it has to be voluntary.
    One could expand the authority of that entity, but I imagine this would be more complicated and costly than keeping the current system in place. Freedom is a curse for those that lack wisdom but even the most foolish can see the merits of it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Are they in the same county?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I feel bad for the guy, but what he did is like deciding not to have homeowner's insurance.
    Precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Are they in the same county?
    Yes, but rural residents of the county are subject to a different governing body (Obion County) than residents of the individual cities (South Fulton, et al). South Fulton's fire department basically provides its fire service as a favor to nearby residents outside city limits.
    83% I 70% N 64% T 73% P | 5w4 sp/so/sx | Chaotic Good

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Trentham View Post
    Yes, but rural residents of the county are subject to a different governing body (Obion County) than residents of the individual cities (South Fulton, et al). South Fulton's fire department basically provides its fire service as a favor to nearby residents outside city limits.
    Thanks for the civics lesson.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP

I get the whole "setting a precedent" thing, and I agree in principle, but it just seems like such a heartless thing to do to watch as someone's house burns down. What if someone had been trapped inside? What if a child had died as a result? Would the firefighters be able to live with themselves, knowing it was over $75? I wouldn't.

I say, put out the fire, and then bill the guy for the expenses. You don't get to turn away an uninsured gunshot wound victim from the ER.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    You don't get to turn away an uninsured gunshot wound victim from the ER.
    Exactly. This level of expectation is made for other public servants and I don't understand how a firefighter could think he/she is different. The fire even spread to the property of someone who did pay.

The firefighters here just acted retarded, on a very basic level. A housefire is an EMERGENCY and lives and property can be lost. It is NOT the time to be getting butthurt about politics.