User Tag List

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Default Secessionist tendencies in northern Sweden

These ideas have started to break out here and there.
    It used to be a joke that we should cut Norrland (the northern half of Sweden) off from Sweden at Dalälven (the valley river).

The above body of water has served as a natural border for Norrland for a long time.
    Anyway, the jokes have started to have a more serious tone as things have started to deteriorate in an even more rapid pace than before.

The reasons for secession are many.
    Most of the country's wealth in iron ore as well as other mining and lumber comes from here.
    The great rivers produce vast amounts of electrical energy.
    Yet, the government in Stockholm, regardless of Left or Right, has been under the illusion that they can take without giving anything in return for a long time.
    Cutting the social security net and public sector, making employment a very insecure matter, imposing huge taxes on gasoline, moving manufacturing and other job opportunities down south...
    The list is quite long. It's been a slow trickle for decades now, but when you sum it all up, it is not exactly anything heartwarming.
    People up here have been very discontent for quite some time now.

They take the jobs away from us and expect the people to move away from their villages, towns and cities.
    Away from their families and relatives, friends and loved ones.
    This has resulted in widespread unemployment, as you might understand.
    Then both politicians and people down south has started criticizing the people up here for being lazy.
    They wonder why so many people are sick.
    People who worry about having their jobs taken away, who doesn't receive sufficient preventive healthcare will eventually get sick.
    Those already unemployed with no opportunity for work, they will also become sick if not saved from it.
    For a long time, big companies and state alike pay lesser salaries to the people working and living up here.
    That sets the trend, so smaller businesses also do it.
    We make less money despite having the same prices for our stuff.
    This results in that people like me work too much in order to amass a bit of wealth.
    Down south, you get the same amount of money for a regular 8 hour workday, five days a week.

What the secessionist movement wants to do is to save the natural resources and production of Norrland for the people of Norrland.
    We're just 1.1 million people, on 59% of the country's total land area.
    We produce and export this country's lifeblood, and we get nothing for it.

Why should we up here support the ridiculous notion of a "service economy" that they have down south?
    The 8 million people living down there doesn't have a clue about how important we are, and how little they matter to us.
    They take our resources for granted, they see it as theirs.
    That's funny, because they sure like to alienate us and see us as separate in the negative matters...
    Politicians and people down there are all very oblivious about a lot of things.

The matter is still partly a joke, but as I said, the climate is getting harsher by the day right now.
    Facebook groups have started to pop up, and people are talking about it privately.
    Music promoting the idea has been played and widely listened to for a long time, now.
    We're not yet in the situation of civil war or ETA/IRA-style warfare, but we very well might be if things continue to escalate.
    Especially if they decide to suppress us with military if we decide to split.
    I don't think that the government would hold an election on this at all.
    It's not at all in their best interest.

This might be avoided if the greedy politicians down there start giving a few things back.
    Post offices, hospitals, jobs, processing and manufacturing industry etc.
    The damn state could also quit selling out our mines to foreign companies.
    In my opinion, we should at the very least be autonomous with regional right to our own resources.

There is no doubt in anyones mind that there is even a huge cultural difference between us and the southerners.
    We're just as different as Russians and Finns or Norwegians and Danes.
    Our regional dialects are, at their root, much different from neutral swedish spoken in media.
    Just a couple of generations ago, they spoke dialects that the southerners couldn't even understand.
    We've been so forcefully standardized that young people like me might understand the old dialects, but we don't speak them.
    The same goes for our culture. This is also why we are deprived of a general love of our country.
    What we have is an involuntary union with an ultimately foreign and not very benign power.

People from Texas would feel like home, culturally, up here. Southerners are more like New Yorkers.
    Imagine that New York ran everything from New York. That your states couldn't have their own laws.
    Imagine that the states couldn't dictate what they wanted for themselves.

Our cultural stereotype is much different from the rest of the country.
    We're viewed as very practical-minded, outspoken, no-nonsense and rough around the edges.
    You've probably noticed this about me. I'm sort of normal here where I live.
    It's a general mindset and an integral part of our culture, even if I take it a tiny bit further than most.

I don't know why I wrote this, really.
    Maybe to make you guys out there aware of a situation that gets no media attention whatsoever.
    Voice your opinions, if you'd like.

Anyway... Up the republic!

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I could copy and paste pretty much your whole post, switch North and South and it would apply equally well (although less serious) to the sentiment in the South Island of New Zealand, even down to the exact same cultural stereotypes.

History of Southern Self-Determination | Facebook

The Cook Strait power cable, which was laid in 1965, to provide the North Island with its electricity power, has served to arouse the "Mainlanders' " latent resentment of the North and various calls to “Cut the Cable “ have been made over the years.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

^ Lol, yeah. I know a guy from Christchurch, and a foreman at my old job at a shipyard in Norway was also from the South Island, but I don't know from exactly where.
    Hadn't read up on New Zealand back in 2007, did my reading in 2008/2009.

Both have talked a bit about this, though.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENFJ

Secede!
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Secede!
    Besides having a ridiculously high standard of living, we'd also have liberal gun laws, I reckon.
    Everyone up here hunt, or want to but doesn't have enough cash to prioritize it.
    Well, we have NFPs who can't kill stuff, too, but you know. Most people.

Edit: the point of it being that it'd be a hell of a place to visit after it has had time to recuperate from exploitation.

MBTI
    INTJ

I propose that the northern part will called Sweden, and the southern part will be called the Islamic Republic of Swedastan.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

This is the reason why the western part of Virginia (West Virginia) seceded from Virginia... then we joined the Union. (Civil War)
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Can't fool me. The only reason a region would want to secede would be to keep its system of slavery in place. Norrland's slavery must be abolished.

You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Can't fool me. The only reason a region would want to secede would be to keep its system of slavery in place. Norrland's slavery must be abolished.

Haha It's more like us being black.
    Now we must tell them...

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleRiver View Post
    This is the reason why the western part of Virginia (West Virginia) seceded from Virginia... then we joined the Union. (Civil War)
    Yeah, that's a funny story. Secession because you didn't want to secede! I think Norrland would only need to do it once though.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge