User Tag List

First 6789 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

I've researched it enough to know you've not read his book on flying saucers, its pretty comprehensive and not as simple as archetype theorising, there's a lot about culture, myth formation, projection and identification.
    Forgive me for not providing a complete synopsis of the theory. I have a basic idea, and the basic idea is that they're a (mass) hallucination. Mass hallucinations don't show up on photographs and cameras, though. You don't need to read the entire book to find a way to dispute Jung's thesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Says the UFOer.

Watch the skies dude watch the skies
    Ex-UFOer. I'm really just open to the idea. I was into it in high school. Not really anymore, so I don't profess a strong belief at the moment. I wouldn't say it can be proven, but I would say it can't be dismissed that easily anymore.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post

But you know, intelligent extraterrestrials, who found us first, and are unnukeable doesn't sit right with me.
    Me neither, uh-uh.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    ENFJ

You know, if we think about aliens, even if they are intelligent, and they technically could get there, we are making huge assumptions about their psychological makeup. For example, if they were hiveminded creatures like sci-fi writers seem so fond of, they probably wouldn't even have concepts like war, or diplomacy, and they would probably not think communication outside of their species as possible or even just plain not important. It's not a requirement for them to have human curiosity and be interested in us. If they grew up in a completely alien environment, they might not think we even have any valuable resources because they see no use for the ones we have, etc.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Forgive me for not providing a complete synopsis of the theory. I have a basic idea, and the basic idea is that they're a (mass) hallucination. Mass hallucinations don't show up on photographs and cameras, though. You don't need to read the entire book to find a way to dispute Jung's thesis.
    There's a protracted discussion about physical evidence in the book and it deals with the point as to whether or not they have any physical reality very well, in a sense which corresponds to his other writings about soul and spirituality and all that metaphysical stuff you dont really want to talk about and prefer to dismiss as nonsense compared to your photos and camera evidenced topics. To describe it as hallucinatory is reductionist, misleading and pretty much wrong. Jung considered that they could have physical basis, just that it wasnt the most important point about them.

Ex-UFOer. I'm really just open to the idea. I was into it in high school. Not really anymore, so I don't profess a strong belief at the moment. I wouldn't say it can be proven, but I would say it can't be dismissed that easily anymore.

Unlike God. Right. Well, good luck with that.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

There are alternative explanations for UFOs than attributing them to being extraterrestial in origin, what about the theories that they are linked to an advanced civilisation which is earthly in origin but concealed?

There's a lot of "civilisation one" theorising which while I'll say can require some suspending of disbelief is as interesting or amusing as the alternative. Lay lines and global grids appear to mirror some of Tesla's energy fields and other theories. The unexplained phenomenon from around the world which suggests an earlier high tech civilisation, at least in its machine capacity and that's even before you get on to the quirky left field ideas about the burmuda triangle being either a gateway to an out of phase earth or a weapon reactivated after long sleep by technological advances made by our civilisation.

I'd be much more convinced by the emergence of a group of terrestrial uber mensch than extraterrestrials, it could have the same result though "Childhood's End Muthafu**kas!"

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Oh come on, of course there is life out there....
    I havn't followed the links but i have seen an article on a planet which has conditions in which life is possible. IMO life is out there somewhere, i just hope i get to know of it in my life time, that would be fantastic!
    I'm certainly not worried about green beings rampaging across the globe raping and pillaging. Thats just moronic.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I have read stuff, rational accounts by rational people...it's hard not to believe some of it when you look into it. Amongst all the wacko accounts and psychotic ramblings, there is a lot of stuff that makes you pause for thought. There is life out there.That thought actually fills me with terror. It's hard to believe this planet is some strange anomaly.
    And lets face it, world governments have neither confirmed or denied alien contact, have they?
    It wouldn't surprise me if there was a good deal of suppression...not necessarily a complete stonewalling, because that wouldn't serve the powers that be purposes. The human race historically tends to accept the obvious answer (i.e. the sun rotates around the earth) rather choosing to dig deeper. Those that do get tarred with the wacko brush. Media leakage, and marginilising those who may or may not have evidence, combined with the human herd mentality does the job nicely of keeping evidence under wraps. People don't want to known and they aren't curious to know.
    I'm also willing to bet it's all already out there, in an unofficial format....again, humans (the general population, not the outliers) tend to ignore things unless it's officially stamped and approve by some authority. It's like a lot of things, not every one believes that the swine flu epidemic originated in a lab....but, if you read expansively, you can't help but have doubts.
    Enough of my paranoid ramblings though, I do love a conspiracy theory.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    I have read stuff, rational accounts by rational people...it's hard not to believe some of it when you look into it. Amongst all the wacko accounts and psychotic ramblings, there is a lot of stuff that makes you pause for thought. There is life out there.That thought actually fills me with terror. It's hard to believe this planet is some strange anomaly.
    And lets face it, world governments have neither confirmed or denied alien contact, have they?
    It wouldn't surprise me if there was a good deal of suppression...not necessarily a complete stonewalling, because that wouldn't serve the powers that be purposes. The human race historically tends to accept the obvious answer (i.e. the sun rotates around the earth) rather choosing to dig deeper. Those that do get tarred with the wacko brush. Media leakage, and marginilising those who may or may not have evidence, combined with the human herd mentality does the job nicely of keeping evidence under wraps. People don't want to known and they aren't curious to know.
    I'm also willing to bet it's all already out there, in an unofficial format....again, humans (the general population, not the outliers) tend to ignore things unless it's officially stamped and approve by some authority. It's like a lot of things, not every one believes that the swine flu epidemic originated in a lab....but, if you read expansively, you can't help but have doubts.
    Enough of my paranoid ramblings though, I do love a conspiracy theory.
    The bolded sums it up.... and also made me chuckle.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    You know, if we think about aliens, even if they are intelligent, and they technically could get there, we are making huge assumptions about their psychological makeup. For example, if they were hiveminded creatures like sci-fi writers seem so fond of, they probably wouldn't even have concepts like war, or diplomacy, and they would probably not think communication outside of their species as possible or even just plain not important. It's not a requirement for them to have human curiosity and be interested in us. If they grew up in a completely alien environment, they might not think we even have any valuable resources because they see no use for the ones we have, etc.
    I’ve though about the possibility that sapient aliens think nothing like us but revisiting the point, I decided that there’s a pretty good chance that they do. Humans, on our own, are rather unique in that we can be classified as “tool users”. We excel in the same thinking style as the Egyptian vulture, which uses rocks to crush the eggs that it eats, rats, which are surprisingly ingenious, and the other great apes such as chimpanzees. We’re physically weak and have thus evolved to manipulate the laws of nature to our greatest advantage. Any alien species capable of interstellar travel is likely to be of the same “class” as us and to think in a similar scientific fashion.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Edg I agree with you.