User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 88

  1. #11
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Hey, I was going to write a novel about that a few months before Stephen King came out to say that. He stole his idea from me with his goddamn telepathic powers!
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  2. #12
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Edit: You forgot the Stephen Hawking warning about being friendly to hostile aliens who wanted to mine our planet for minerals/resources. Very weird and out of character. Maybe you're onto something.
    Found it:
    Don't talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking - Times Online

    Yeah, if aliens will treat us like Conquistadors treated the Incas... well, then we better keep a low profile.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  3. #13
    DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    Hype
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    I refuse to believe this based on one simple premise -

    This would make "the day the earth stood still" with Keanu Reeves probably the most prescient and well-timed movie/story in history.

    Therefor, Logically.... it cannot go down like this. NOT LIKE THIS

  4. #14
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Common u gaiz

    Is this entire thread Ni paranoia or an excuse to use an adorable duckie meme?

    Were you abducted Edgar? Do tell....

  5. #15
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    If there are aliens who have mastered intergalactic travel, chances are, they won't treat us with any more empathy than we do chimps or monkeys.

  6. #16
    shadow boxer strawberries's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ----
    Posts
    950

    Default

    i nominate edgar for the probing.

  7. #17
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,526

    Unhappy

    The problem is that the speed of light is so slow and the universe is so big, and we have only been here for about 100,000 years, so the chance of intelligent life visiting us is about the same as our chance of visiting them. And that chance is almost zero.

    When the Gods disappeared, we thought they went up into the sky, so how natural to think they will come back from the sky to visit us.

    Not so long ago we literally heard the Gods through the bicameral mind, but when the Gods fell silent, we missed them and long to hear them again, and so we keep looking up into the sky for their return.

    But we are in fact orphaned children and we will never hear our Gods again. But this is too much to bear so we imagine future visits by ET, the Mahdi or Christ.

  8. #18
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The problem is that the speed of light is so slow and the universe is so big, and we have only been here for about 100,000 years, so the chance of intelligent life visiting us is about the same as our chance of visiting them. And that chance is almost zero.

    When the Gods disappeared, we thought they went up into the sky, so how natural to think they will come back from the sky to visit us.

    Not so long ago we literally heard the Gods through the bicameral mind, but when the Gods fell silent, we missed them and long to hear them again, and so we keep looking up into the sky for their return.

    But we are in fact orphaned children and we will never hear our Gods again. But this is too much to bear so we imagine future visits by ET, the Mahdi or Christ.
    I dunno man, the universe is fucking huge. It's almost irrational to think that other life could not exist.

  9. #19
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,526

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I dunno man, the universe is fucking huge. It's almost irrational to think that other life could not exist.
    It is likely that other life does exist. But it is unlikely we will ever meet intelligent life from other planets.

    However we have a need to believe the Gods will return one day. And as we now find the Gods implausible, we have transferred our longing onto ET.

    ET is simply a God in modern disguise.

    Have you not noticed the intense emotion surrounding the very idea of extra terrestrial visits. They have a religious intensity.

  10. #20
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    However we have a need to believe the Gods will return one day. And as we now find the Gods implausible, we have transferred our longing onto ET.

    ET is simply a God in modern disguise.

    Have you not noticed the intense emotion surrounding the very idea of extra terrestrial visits. They have a religious intensity.
    that movie made me cry so hard when I was a kid


Similar Threads

  1. What is the purpose of your life?
    By foolish heart in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 05-04-2011, 04:35 PM
  2. Life is what you make of it ?
    By vince in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-05-2010, 01:22 PM
  3. The Story of Your Life: What is the Title?
    By Synarch in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 12-15-2008, 05:49 PM
  4. New Findings Expose Flaws in Old-Earth TheoryThe age of the earth is a pivotal topic
    By RansomedbyFire in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 05:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO