User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Hey, I was going to write a novel about that a few months before Stephen King came out to say that. He stole his idea from me with his goddamn telepathic powers!
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Edit: You forgot the Stephen Hawking warning about being friendly to hostile aliens who wanted to mine our planet for minerals/resources. Very weird and out of character. Maybe you're onto something.
    Found it:
    Don't talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking - Times Online

Yeah, if aliens will treat us like Conquistadors treated the Incas... well, then we better keep a low profile.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I refuse to believe this based on one simple premise -

This would make "the day the earth stood still" with Keanu Reeves probably the most prescient and well-timed movie/story in history.

Therefor, Logically.... it cannot go down like this. NOT LIKE THIS

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Common u gaiz

Is this entire thread Ni paranoia or an excuse to use an adorable duckie meme?

Were you abducted Edgar? Do tell....

Ginkgo

If there are aliens who have mastered intergalactic travel, chances are, they won't treat us with any more empathy than we do chimps or monkeys.

MBTI
    ----

i nominate edgar for the probing.

Unhappy

The problem is that the speed of light is so slow and the universe is so big, and we have only been here for about 100,000 years, so the chance of intelligent life visiting us is about the same as our chance of visiting them. And that chance is almost zero.

When the Gods disappeared, we thought they went up into the sky, so how natural to think they will come back from the sky to visit us.

Not so long ago we literally heard the Gods through the bicameral mind, but when the Gods fell silent, we missed them and long to hear them again, and so we keep looking up into the sky for their return.

But we are in fact orphaned children and we will never hear our Gods again. But this is too much to bear so we imagine future visits by ET, the Mahdi or Christ.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The problem is that the speed of light is so slow and the universe is so big, and we have only been here for about 100,000 years, so the chance of intelligent life visiting us is about the same as our chance of visiting them. And that chance is almost zero.

When the Gods disappeared, we thought they went up into the sky, so how natural to think they will come back from the sky to visit us.

Not so long ago we literally heard the Gods through the bicameral mind, but when the Gods fell silent, we missed them and long to hear them again, and so we keep looking up into the sky for their return.

But we are in fact orphaned children and we will never hear our Gods again. But this is too much to bear so we imagine future visits by ET, the Mahdi or Christ.
    I dunno man, the universe is fucking huge. It's almost irrational to think that other life could not exist.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I dunno man, the universe is fucking huge. It's almost irrational to think that other life could not exist.
    It is likely that other life does exist. But it is unlikely we will ever meet intelligent life from other planets.

However we have a need to believe the Gods will return one day. And as we now find the Gods implausible, we have transferred our longing onto ET.

ET is simply a God in modern disguise.

Have you not noticed the intense emotion surrounding the very idea of extra terrestrial visits. They have a religious intensity.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    However we have a need to believe the Gods will return one day. And as we now find the Gods implausible, we have transferred our longing onto ET.

ET is simply a God in modern disguise.

Have you not noticed the intense emotion surrounding the very idea of extra terrestrial visits. They have a religious intensity.
    that movie made me cry so hard when I was a kid