User Tag List

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Default Media and the effects on politics?

I'm currently in a class that explores the relationship of 'news media' (however you wish to define that, feel free to) and the effects that it has on the representative democracy in the United States. This is specifically in reference to the advancements of technology and the effects on the profession of journalism -- for example...

Twitter, Facebook, and Blogs: How has this, in your opinion, changed how the media is effecting certain aspects of the field of journalism?

Although I don't know much about journalism, I do feel as though the media is obsessed with giving the public what it wants. People thrive off conflict, it seems for some unknown reason, and therefore wish to see such across every magazine, newspaper, and webblog. The media is often biased such as seen from CNN and Fox News -- only broadcasting news with a partisan spin on such.

I feel as though this has become a disgusting fact of life -- and finding object journalism seems to be harder and harder to do. Does anyone else feel this way? That media is simply become a subjective medium to control the voters and how they perceive politics, rather than allowing them to take facts and come to their own conclusions?

Do you like the fact that the media is generally partisan, or do you feel this is ruining politics? I'm curious to see what others think, as I only know the opinion of several college students. I'm wondering what people of various ages and educational backgrounds feel.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by vieamemusique View Post
    I'm currently in a class that explores the relationship of 'news media' (however you wish to define that, feel free to) and the effects that it has on the representative democracy in the United States. This is specifically in reference to the advancements of technology and the effects on the profession of journalism -- for example...

Twitter, Facebook, and Blogs: How has this, in your opinion, changed how the media is effecting certain aspects of the field of journalism?

Although I don't know much about journalism, I do feel as though the media is obsessed with giving the public what it wants. People thrive off conflict, it seems for some unknown reason, and therefore wish to see such across every magazine, newspaper, and webblog. The media is often biased such as seen from CNN and Fox News -- only broadcasting news with a partisan spin on such.

I feel as though this has become a disgusting fact of life -- and finding object journalism seems to be harder and harder to do. Does anyone else feel this way? That media is simply become a subjective medium to control the voters and how they perceive politics, rather than allowing them to take facts and come to their own conclusions?

Do you like the fact that the media is generally partisan, or do you feel this is ruining politics? I'm curious to see what others think, as I only know the opinion of several college students. I'm wondering what people of various ages and educational backgrounds feel.

Any thoughts much appreciated!
    Advancements in technology make it easier to deliver content to users and that is the most significant detail.

I would not say that people, specifically, seek conflict, but rather that most organisms have contingencies in place to deal with competition, which for a species considered by most to be the apex predator of this planet, means competition with other people. Given our capacity to persuade or otherwise influence the actions of other people, I would not say that conflict being channeled through a relatively painless medium is surprising.

I do not believe that humans have a definitive organization or structure by which our productivity can be optimally channeled, but conflict and the triumphs and failures that follow it can give us some frame to work with. I am relieved that we can settle a majority of disputes without violent conflict, so in a way I applaud the media for giving us a fairly toothless method of applying pressure on our competitors (other humans).

I also fail to see the recent trends in media and technological advancement as a negative. It could be considered dis-unifying, but I would say that complacency or a lack of conflict would only lead to stagnation in a culture or nation.

22 year-old biology student's perspective

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

The media is partisan but conservatives have been very clever, in adopting an even more right wing position they have created a public which the media wishing to appeal to will try and please, never daring to be that left wing or break from the norm.

Although its not just the media, there's a partisan bias in politics too, all the parties are centre right or further right and that's not changing, whatever tricks and games the left have played trying to move the centre ground left have all failed. Even if they had succeeded I would suggest that they'd still be pretty centrist or centre right, politicians are in an income bracket and elite community which makes them extremely unlikely to favour anything other than centrist or right wing politics.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Makes democracy and "populism" easier to use, build, maintain, etc.? I think that effect was already there, but maybe these new forms of media accelerate it, advancing democracy and populism with each step forward in rapid global communication.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

ummmm, it has no relationship because it doesn't exist in its own right. PEOPLE have effect on politics because we are a "morbidly social" species. We are constantly scanning and probing our own, and we've done that since before professional journalism. people affect politics.

with or without the media as presented here, people will still have the same concerns, doubts, fears, hopes and dreams. The real relationship is about the politics of man, not "media vs whatever".

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

This is a good book that partially touches on the subject (worth reading for many reasons): Civic Literacy: How Informed Citizens Make Democracy Work

The author puts forward a definition of civic literacy, and then through various research draws some conclusions on how the nature of media in a country affects its population's level of civic literacy. The USA's civic literacy, for the record, is scored very lowly.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Unhappy The Print Medium and the Electronic Medium

The print medium creates the individual while the electronic medium creates the tribe.

The world is changing under our feet yet we are anaesthetised to change. We are the patient anaesthetised upon the table, being operated on and forever changed by the electronic media.

I shout and shout at you but you dream on with a silly smile on your face. I never tire of telling you that we are driving forward looking in the rear vision mirror, but you won't look through the windscreen at the electric medium rushing towards us.

God help us, you prize your individuality, you insist on your individuality, in a world where individuality and privacy are over. We live in the tribal village.

And so all that is left of the individual world of print is a neurotic narcissism catered to by MBTI.