User Tag List

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Default U.S. Law Enforcement Out of Hand?

I'm not sure if the law enforcement of other developed countries has dealt with the same problem, or that the problem is just becoming relevant today, but it seems that how the police force in the U.S. deals with certain situations has declined in terms of efficiency in who they target and how they keep order.

What are your thoughts on this? Should they be trained differently, should they be more selective of who applies for a law enforcement job, should there be better supervision, or should nothing be done at all?

Discuss.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Police officers are not immune to the hightened anxiety brought on by economic hard times. During such times, people tend to act out.
    A grandmother near Seattle this week gunned down several members of her family, then herself. I see this on a continuum with police violence. They are both motivated by frustration.

Sniffles

What exact issues are you referring to?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    I'm not sure if the law enforcement of other developed countries has dealt with the same problem, or that the problem is just becoming relevant today, but it seems that how the police force in the U.S. deals with certain situations has declined in terms of efficiency in who they target and how they keep order.

What are your thoughts on this? Should they be trained differently, should they be more selective of who applies for a law enforcement job, should there be better supervision, or should nothing be done at all?

Discuss.
    Has something actually changed or are problems simply easier to see? Excluding the War on Drugs, it seems likely that law enforcement is more restrained now than they ever have been because of greater transparency.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Has something actually changed or are problems simply easier to see? Excluding the War on Drugs, it seems likely that law enforcement is more restrained now than they ever have been because of greater transparency.
    The funding for the war on drugs has been eroded by terrorism.

That has to be why the connections between Al Qaeda and Afghan heroin producers have been so widely publicized.

By linking the war on drugs to the war on terror, a conduit of crossfunctional Federal funding for law enforcement and military activities was created.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

...the police force in the U.S. deals with certain situations has declined in terms of efficiency in who they target and how they keep order.
    I am too drunk right now too write much but its elsewhere the same. We have drug dealers at our front door doing business on the street intersection for one year now. Still they rather pick guys up in the streets who totally look normal but then arguement with rules to make this guys some troubles.

It's sometimes a very subjective and dirty world and it makes me sick thinking about it. If you aint clever you, you're lost
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ISTP

Overall, I don't have a great deal of complaints about US Law Enforcement, it's improving in my opinion, all the news is just because of the proliferation of cameras making it far easier to prove police brutality instead of the old "word of the police vs word of the suspect".

I do have complaints about the State Police forces. Overall, they seem to be very...useless, with their only functions to be speeding tickets and patrolling small towns. I'd like to see them devote the massive amount of $$$ that is spent having them ticket people doing 80MPH on the highway, (Which, quite frankly, 90% of cars can do comfortably and safely on a typical interstate), and actually either do something useful, or be disbanded and let that money go to the municipalities for more local cops instead.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post

Discuss.
    Doesn't make much sense to attack "US police" when there is no national police force, unless you count the FBI. It doesn't sound to me like you're referring to the FBI.

You may say this is a meaningless point, but it's not. Problems that police have in one state do not necessarily apply to others. I have nothing but respect for the officers I've seen in my home state.

The greater problem isn't the police but the legislators. You can't blame cops for upholding the law, you can blame congresspeople for creating the stupid laws in the first place. Citizens can also blame themselves in states with the initiative process.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window