User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

You seem to think that nihilism cannot be taken seriously. That is where we disagree. It means to switch tracks in order to end a pointless and arduous journey. To leave a note of it means to describe the way or, if you will, where not to depart.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Maybe someone already mentioned this, but my only thoughts about it are... Even if he sounds a bit deranged in the writings, at least he thought about it for a long time. You don't write a 1,900 page suicide note because you're having a 'rough patch'. He took a long time to think good and hard about suicide.

In some twisted way I find that more commendable than someone who does in on a whim. Not saying I condone it in any way. Just find it 'less terrible' I suppose.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Smile Meaning Creating Animals

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    You seem to think that nihilism cannot be taken seriously. That is where we disagree. It means to switch tracks in order to end a pointless and arduous journey. To leave a note of it means to describe the way or, if you will, where not to depart.
    We are meaning creating animals. For instance, we will suffer the worst conditions if they have meaning, but once we loose meaning, we have no reason to live.

Thank you for your contribution, Mr. Frankl.

Thumbs up Viktor Frankl

Thank you for your contribution, Mr. Frankl.
    No worries mate. Just call me Viktor.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I never said that. I said it should not be taken at its purest form.

Please explain the parts where I placed bold print because I would like to comment with what I think you mean but I want you to break down that sentence so that I fully understand your view and do not misconstrue it.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I never said that. I said it should not be taken at its purest form.
    Of course you did not say that. Why should it not be taken at its purest form?

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Please explain the parts where I placed bold print because I would like to comment with what I think you mean but I want you to break down that sentence so that I fully understand your view and do not misconstrue it.
    I think it is pretty obvious. To switch tracks is to leave the ordinary, natural way of living, that is, life itself - by embarking on nihilism. Life is the pointless journey, because it has no purpose yet is full of arduous misery. Why take the pain if it is unnecessary and can be avoided? The note, finally, is the chronicle of someone who departs from said ordinary way, to be used however one pleases: some might follow in the steps of that person, being prepared what to expect if they do; some might learn which thoughts and insights to eschew.

Thumbs down An Emotional Delusion

Life is the pointless journey...
    If life is pointless misery, it is because it has no meaning.

And it is just as meaningless to say that life is pointless joy.

But strangely enough those who experience joy never feel it is pointless.

It is only the clinically depressed from whom joy has fled, who feel life is pointless.

And this is an emotional delusion.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And in particular their emotions are out of touch with reality. And so they rationalise their psychotic emotions.
    What reality? Reality from your perspective?

I don't understand this guy and I have no intention of reading his writings, but it would be ironic for you to judge the guy based on your own reductionistic ignorance.

When people commit suicide, they are not merely beings who have gone against their programming.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It suggests that people will rather ignore the book based on a 'crazy guy, killed himself' view of the author than, instead, regard it as intriguing that someone spends years to write a book and then, after having finished it, commits suicide, leaving nothing but that book. The fact alone that he was not interested in how it (and his final act) would be received is remarkable. People read books about such characters, but apparenty they do not read books by such characters. Maybe it is a distaste for 'the morbid', maybe a fear of becoming gloomy oneself.
    I think that's a bit of a false dichotomy. I do regard it as intriguing that someone spent years writing a book and then commits suicide and sends everyone he knows a link to the tome which he has uploaded somewhere that won't take it down. I do wonder what it meant to him, and what his brainspace was like in his last days/weeks/months. I suspect I find the circumstances far more intriguing than I would find the actual book itself, though. It's very long. I may skim parts of it at some point, but I doubt I'll ever read the whole thing. There are many, many books higher up on my "to read" list. Even posts on TypoC are higher up on my "to read" list. Even posts on TypoC ABOUT THIS GUY are higher up on my "to read" list.

But I do find it all very intriguing. I have a tendency to fixate on the macabre and gloomy from time to time, though.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii