User Tag List

First 111920212223 Last

And I already thought this thread were dead.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Everything except theological literature gets that chance. Maybe you can direct me to a passage that teaches the quintessence of 'the frame'?
    I'd recommend starting with Book 1.

You could also check out this video:

[YOUTUBE="PAJPdenxVlw"][/YOUTUBE]

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Not only is that not being ignored, it's been stated repeatedly. This is the nature of moral relativism.
    Morgan, would you say that all morals are relative?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Not only is that not being ignored, it's been stated repeatedly. This is the nature of moral relativism.
    You are ignoring it. "X is 20 degrees centigrade" is a fact, a relative fact, but it is inherently true or inherently false in some sense. Trying to get from a relative fact to nihilism of that fact cannot be done.

He doesn't value them.
    Exactly. His argument is based on his own arbitrary values.

He also recognises that moral relativism leads inexorably to moral nihilism. Something which seems to have escaped your notice.
    Moral nihilism is not equivalent to moral relativism. Hopefully it's obvious if I point out that Velocity exists, despite being relative. Denying that it exists, and saying it relatively exists are never equivalent. Again though, you might just ignore relativism and equate it to nihilism yet again.

I would move on to talking about moral relativism, but it's kind of besides the point at the moment.

Ginkgo

The problem I have with moral relativism is that it's paradoxical. It defines an essential, overarching, and absolute part of morality, yet claims that all morals are unique and relative to the individual and culture. Of course, if all morals were unique, we would not call all of them morals.

For some non sequential reason, moral relativists fall into a fatalistic state of moral nihilism. "Because morals vary... there must be no morals!", they say. Totally illogical, since the premise posits the existence of morals and the conclusion somehow arrives at the non-existence of them.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    And I already thought this thread were dead.
    Don't you think that about everything?

No.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    You are ignoring it. "X is 20 degrees centigrade" is a fact, a relative fact, but it is inherently true or inherently false in some sense. Trying to get from a relative fact to nihilism of that fact cannot be done.
    I hate this fucking thread and I don't know why I'm resurrecting it.

"X is 20 degrees centigrade" is not a "relative fact" (wth is a relative fact?). It's a falsifiable statement.
    Don't you know the difference between statements that are falsifiable and ones that are not? Because this conversation can't go anywhere unless you accept that there is such a distinction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Ginkgo

I hate this fucking thread and I don't know why I'm resurrecting it.

"X is 20 degrees centigrade" is not a "relative fact" (wth is a relative fact?). It's a falsifiable statement.
    Don't you know the difference between statements that are falsifiable and ones that are not? Because this conversation can't go anywhere unless you accept that there is such a distinction.
    Facts are absolute. Statements like that are falsifiable. However, the way they are conveyed is relative. Maybe that's what he meant, but I'm not sure. Or perhaps he meant that some absolute facts are discarded/adopted variously and in a relative way.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Facts are absolute. Statements like that are falsifiable. However, the way they are conveyed is relative. Maybe that's what he meant, but I'm not sure. Or perhaps he meant that some absolute facts are discarded/adopted variously and in a relative way.
    What?
    Facts are falsifiable. Look it up. And probably best not to speak for someone else. That's falsifiable too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.