User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australia parents sold girl as sex slave

only bites when provoked Array

Sadly, most of these stories reflect what happens when you allow multiculturalism through nearly-free immigration of people that have completely incompatible cultures with those in the country accepting them. This has been an ongoing problem in much of the upper midwest where large groups of refugees were settled, happens regularly in areas with self-segregated immigrant populations, etc.

A country can only accept and convert a certain number of people at a time, otherwise they will isolate themselves from the locals and never assimilate the culture of their new country.

I'm happy with immigrants that assimilate, because without them I wouldn't have all the things I have now. I eat a variety of foods from all over the world, have expert chopstick skills, etc, etc, etc. The really quality immigrants to this country want to bring the best of their cultures and blend it with the culture of their new country. What's sad is when the natives wander into a place, everything is written in a foreign language, and all the other patrons look at them with disgust as if they don't belong there anymore.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The first two are easily defined. With the story in the OP, we're not even talking about another culture. They were Westerners, through and through. These people knew that society would punish them if they were caught.
    Well, good, in a way. That means my comments about culture don't apply. I'm glad.

`~~Philosoflying~~` Array SillySapienne's Avatar

Child abuse exists amongst all human populations, and occurs throughout each and every society found on earth, (though the frequency of occurence is largely dependent on the given society).

One would think that it would be merely instinctual for a parent to protect and nurture its offspring, but sadly, such is not always the case found amongst mankind.

A parent is still nothing more than a human being, and as history, as well as our experience has shown, human beings can be terrible things.

I was unfortunate to have experienced having one such terrible parent. Stories like this fail to shock me. Terrible people exist, and more often than not, these terrible people have kids.

heart on fire Array

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    What is a parent? What is a child? Where is the Universal Parental Code that parents are supposed to follow?
    The child abuse laws of the country where they live is probably a good place to start.

Protocol Droid Array Athenian200's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Parents sold girl as sex slave | The Courier-Mail

I don't think I'll ever understand how a parent could justify doing this to their child.
    I think it's awful. What I don't understand is how they could get away with it for so long. You'd think someone would notice something unusual in the child's behavior, or some weird pattern in their parent's behavior, etc.

But it really disgusts me that they could do this anyway. They must be sociopaths or something to be able to do that to their children... they'd have to be almost without compassion. I hope they get the maximum sentence, and I half wish it were the death penalty. You know?

6w7 sx/so

I'm with CaptainChick about this one, I had a mother who probably would have been glad to exchange the effort of raising me for money. That is, as long as she has a way to still look good or escape the social backlash.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.