Thread: Oppression

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Oppression

Oppression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This topic interests me since studying so called anti-oppressive practice at university and seeing the mixed reception it had had academically and with professionals.

In this theory there are personal, cultural and structural oppression and the range of responses professionals can take in this context branch from doing no harm, by refraining from action or ommission of action which reinforces existing oppression or creates new oppression, to interventions, campaigning and challenging oppression. It tends to assume that oppression is an objective and agreed upon idea, generally as extolled or constructed by various liberation theorists, ie black liberation, womens liberation, gay liberation, class struggles.

That bothered me because I dont believe there is consensus about oppression and sometimes the seeking to reduce oppression only creates new oppression or dysfunction, substituting one set of wrongs for another.

On the other hand I think its useful to have a concept of oppression and its something I think people should aim to identify, manage and eradicate where possible. So I go on trying to identify what it is and conceptualise it.

So do you think its possible for there to be an objective definition, the wiki link is one such attempt to provide one, do you feel you've encountered it or fought it or benefit from it? What does it look like if you where to depict it in a picture? If it exists do you think it ever exists unresisted? Conversely do you just try to ignore it and get by? Does the idea just depress you and exist as something you'd prefer not to think about?

Oberon

Looks to me like Marxist theory dressed up in new terminology.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    In what sense?

It could be pretty neutral, for instance you could be a hardcore neo-liberal and still have a theory of oppression, similarly its likely to breakdown into the personal, cultural and structural.

I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just interested in an elaboration of your point.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Oh, come on! Is there anything outside your own personal beliefs that isn't some kind of Marxism?

This is just a general discussion of oppression. How did that get immediately associated with Marxism?

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    In what sense?

It could be pretty neutral, for instance you could be a hardcore neo-liberal and still have a theory of oppression, similarly its likely to breakdown into the personal, cultural and structural.
    Yeah, no kidding, hence libertarians often struggling to put forward an absolute concept of oppression.
    Go to sleep, iguana.