User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 40

  1. #21
    PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    How about making immigration easier for immigrants rather than deporting illegal ones; instead of deportation which I think is cruel and unnessecary, we could simply grant them citizenship.
    Good idea. First let's shut down welfare, though, and allow private charities to take the rein again, so your average joe isn't weighed down by government mandated expenses.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!


    Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

  2. #22
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    I think that it shouldnt be revoked, I think the abuses of immigration should not be confused with legitimate immigration.

    Likewise I've always marvelled at the extent to which we have created a world in which capital and capital flight is positively enabled and equated with freedom but the free movement of people or population flight is something different altogether.

    That said I'm not a rooted individual, I dont feel a strong attachment to people or place that would deter me just moving if it was possible.

  3. #23
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Capital, labor, and ideas should all flow freely around the world.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  4. #24
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think that it shouldnt be revoked, I think the abuses of immigration should not be confused with legitimate immigration.

    Likewise I've always marvelled at the extent to which we have created a world in which capital and capital flight is positively enabled and equated with freedom but the free movement of people or population flight is something different altogether.
    The world's a lot more zero-sum than we'd like to admit.

  5. #25
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    The original intent of the 14th Ammendment was to grant citizenship to former slaves, not immigrants. The common rule in most countries is you're a citizen if you're born to a citizen of that country, ie at least one of your parents is a legal citizen.

  6. #26
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    The original intent of the 14th Ammendment was to grant citizenship to former slaves, not immigrants. The common rule in most countries is you're a citizen if you're born to a citizen of that country, ie at least one of your parents is a legal citizen.

    Original intent arguments are pretty weak compared to textualist/original meaning arguments. The language is quite clear.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  7. #27
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Original intent arguments are pretty weak compared to textualist/original meaning arguments. The language is quite clear.
    Dude, stick with the economics. It's a stronger argument than textualism (which is why Posner goes with it)

  8. #28
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Dude, stick with the economics. It's a stronger argument than textualism (which is why Posner goes with it)
    Why stick with Econ? I am taking the LSAT in December, and I am strongly considering the JD/MBA. I am actually doing poorly by my standards in Managerial Econ right now (not into the game theory and junk). Why argue from original intent, especially in this case?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  9. #29
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Original intent arguments are pretty weak compared to textualist/original meaning arguments. The language is quite clear.
    Original intent and original meaning are pretty much the same thing.

  10. #30
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Why stick with Econ? I am taking the LSAT in December, and I am strongly considering the JD/MBA. I am actually doing poorly by my standards in Managerial Econ right now (not into the game theory and junk). Why argue from original intent, especially in this case?
    You shouldn't. Policy arguments are much better, compared to more formalistic arguments such as original intent or textualism. It's just that people like formalism as a means of philosophical thinking, and will do anything to conceive of an objective form of law. Problem is that no such thing exists, and in the end, we just want to settle a dispute (in this case, what to do with children of undocumented immigrants).

Similar Threads

  1. Amendments that should be added to the Constitution
    By Elfboy in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 02:29 PM
  2. 14th Verse of the Tao Te Ching
    By Saslou in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-29-2010, 03:35 AM
  3. 2nd Amendment: ripe for selective incorporation to the states
    By Vizconde in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-03-2010, 09:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO