User Tag List

First 1234 Last

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    How about making immigration easier for immigrants rather than deporting illegal ones; instead of deportation which I think is cruel and unnessecary, we could simply grant them citizenship.
    Good idea. First let's shut down welfare, though, and allow private charities to take the rein again, so your average joe isn't weighed down by government mandated expenses.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I think that it shouldnt be revoked, I think the abuses of immigration should not be confused with legitimate immigration.

Likewise I've always marvelled at the extent to which we have created a world in which capital and capital flight is positively enabled and equated with freedom but the free movement of people or population flight is something different altogether.

That said I'm not a rooted individual, I dont feel a strong attachment to people or place that would deter me just moving if it was possible.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Capital, labor, and ideas should all flow freely around the world.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think that it shouldnt be revoked, I think the abuses of immigration should not be confused with legitimate immigration.

Likewise I've always marvelled at the extent to which we have created a world in which capital and capital flight is positively enabled and equated with freedom but the free movement of people or population flight is something different altogether.
    The world's a lot more zero-sum than we'd like to admit.

Sniffles

The original intent of the 14th Ammendment was to grant citizenship to former slaves, not immigrants. The common rule in most countries is you're a citizen if you're born to a citizen of that country, ie at least one of your parents is a legal citizen.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    The original intent of the 14th Ammendment was to grant citizenship to former slaves, not immigrants. The common rule in most countries is you're a citizen if you're born to a citizen of that country, ie at least one of your parents is a legal citizen.

Original intent arguments are pretty weak compared to textualist/original meaning arguments. The language is quite clear.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Original intent arguments are pretty weak compared to textualist/original meaning arguments. The language is quite clear.
    Dude, stick with the economics. It's a stronger argument than textualism (which is why Posner goes with it)

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Dude, stick with the economics. It's a stronger argument than textualism (which is why Posner goes with it)
    Why stick with Econ? I am taking the LSAT in December, and I am strongly considering the JD/MBA. I am actually doing poorly by my standards in Managerial Econ right now (not into the game theory and junk). Why argue from original intent, especially in this case?

Sniffles

Original intent and original meaning are pretty much the same thing.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Why stick with Econ? I am taking the LSAT in December, and I am strongly considering the JD/MBA. I am actually doing poorly by my standards in Managerial Econ right now (not into the game theory and junk). Why argue from original intent, especially in this case?
    You shouldn't. Policy arguments are much better, compared to more formalistic arguments such as original intent or textualism. It's just that people like formalism as a means of philosophical thinking, and will do anything to conceive of an objective form of law. Problem is that no such thing exists, and in the end, we just want to settle a dispute (in this case, what to do with children of undocumented immigrants).