123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Default Immigration and culture

To what degree, if any, should a host country expect immigrants to adopt their way of living, language and culture?

Should it be litigated as much as protection of these emerging minorities is?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I think immigrants should definitely learn the language.

Culture is trickier though, and very subjective. I've lived as an immigrant or student in a number of different countries, and from my experience, the more east you go, the more likely the culture is to expect immigrants to stick to their original culture and not actually mix very much with the local people except for business/professional interactions. Not that they aren't open to making friends on an individual basis but as a whole the different cultures are just expected to be more segregated and they don't expect you to adopt their way of living. The down side is you as an immigrant can feel rather isolated.

I find the more Western the country, the more outsiders are expected to adapt to or adopt the country's cultural habits and more judged the more they do not.

As for litigation, that depends on what you have in mind. Generally, I'd be careful about that.
    the shoheen ho of the wind of the west and the lulla lo of the soft sea billow - Alfred Graves

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbah View Post
    Culture is trickier though, and very subjective. I've lived as an immigrant or student in a number of different countries, and from my experience, the more east you go, the more likely the culture is to expect immigrants to stick to their original culture and not actually mix very much with the local people except for business/professional interactions. Not that they aren't open to making friends on an individual basis but as a whole the different cultures are just expected to be more segregated and they don't expect you to adopt their way of living. The down side is you as an immigrant can feel rather isolated.
    I'd not considered the whole facet of the country culturally not wanting integration.

What do they do with second generation and so forth?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbah View Post
    As for litigation, that depends on what you have in mind. Generally, I'd be careful about that.
    Without litigation surely it any guidelines would be applied in an unbalanced manner leading to cases and accusations of discrimination? Admittedly it's a hot topic but that should not dissuade law makers imo.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Oberon

Teddy Roosevelt was of the firm opinion that anyone and everyone should be welcome to come be an American... provided they were willing to be an American.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I'd not considered the whole facet of the country culturally not wanting integration.

What do they do with second generation and so forth?
    In some such countries you have a kind of airport immigrant group who stay for a number years and then leave. If the second generation remains, from people I've known like that, they still identify with the original country and culture of the parents. It just doesn't bother anybody that they are different. They are not bothered and the native people are not bothered, though they might actually be a very small minority in comparison to the much larger number of immigrants. I find there is also a certain feeling among the natives that they are anyway superior to certain other races, and even their close neighbouring countries, and they get certain privileges that immigrants do not.
    the shoheen ho of the wind of the west and the lulla lo of the soft sea billow - Alfred Graves

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    To what degree, if any, should a host country expect immigrants to adopt their way of living, language and culture?

Should it be litigated as much as protection of these emerging minorities is?
    It was more free in the old days. The Roma came to Europe hundreds of years ago. They still have their own ways. Are our ways better? No.
    Why should they adapt to our ways then?
    The citizens of Sweden settled the shores of the Lake Superior hundreds of years ago.
    The streets of their towns still bear Finnish names. They go to sauna every Saturday, like they used to do in the old country. And indeed, why not?

What is this new hate against immigrants?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    It was more free in the old days. The Roma came to Europe hundreds of years ago. They still have their own ways. Are our ways better? No.
    Does that 'no' represent a considered opinion, or merely an assumption borne of an intrinsic cultural egalitarianism?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Does that 'no' represent a considered opinion, or merely an assumption borne of an intrinsic cultural egalitarianism?
    I vote for the first choice.

Oberon

I suppose it's arguable that our systematic theft and deception are largely the domain of our major institutions, such as businesses, banks, and government, rather than individuals.

That hardly equates to us holding the moral high ground, I guess.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Immigrants should learn the language and follow the laws of the land. Other than that I say they can do what they want, but the existing culture shouldn't be expected to conform to the immigrants either.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com