User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Immigration and culture

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    So how about legislating against immigrating or new cultures from causing chaos? Is that counter evolutionary?
    I'm not sure I understand the question. I wasn't implying immigration caused chaos. I don't think there's a need to make laws directed at specific cultures, but neither should they be exempt from laws.
    But then are you not discriminating against non english/ french speaking countries? (few though there may be)
    Anytime you hire someone, you're discriminating against everything they aren't. I don't think the language is really a big deal intrinsically as long as they're able to get a job, unlikely as that seems. Other factors like interview skills, social skills etc would also be important of course.

We're a pretty charitable country which is nice and all but it's possible to go too far. While I am actually in favour of the welfare system (imperfect though it always will be) I don't like seeing recent immigrants hopping straight to welfare and never leaving...not very politically correct of me, I know.
    -end of thread-

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    No they didn't! They arrived in the 19th century.
    My ancestors lived in Sweden nearly four hundred years, in the Tornea Valley. Many of their neighbours emigrated to America in the 17th and the 18th Century. Some of them were among the first immigrants to settle the banks of Lake Superior. I have read their history in Finnish, in Internet. I have also read stories in Finnish magazines and newspapers about the subject.
    Finland was created as a Grand Duchy of Russia in 1809. Also in America many Finnish speaking Swedes began to call themselves Finns. But not all of them.

The first Europeans to explore and settle in the Great Lakes area were the French. Swedes did not arrive in the area untill the 19th century. End of story. :rolli:

When I look at some of the most successful countries, I notice that they usually consist of one main ethnic group. Take Japan, it is approximately 98.5% Japanese. When there are two main ethnic groups in a country, there are often huge clashes between the cultures. This is why I think immigrants should learn the language, and try to adhere to some of the most important aspects of their host country's culture. Immigrants should not try to force their culture on their host country. You left your country for a reason, so why are you trying to bring your country here?

This is why it bothers me that the US is catering to Mexican immigrants. The Japanese, the Irish, Africans, Puerto Ricans and everyone other ethnic group had/have to learn English. But now they want everyone else to speak Spanish? It's like the Spanish are silently taking the USA back.

7w6 sx/sp
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    To what degree, if any, should a host country expect immigrants to adopt their way of living, language and culture?
    100%, and immigrants who are not closely compatible with the host culture should, generally speaking, not be accepted to begin with. It breeds ethnic conflict.

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole