User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 32

  1. #21
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    This kind of scare-tactic rhetoric not only doesn't achieve anything, but it continues to prove that YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.
    You are clearly having difficulty controlling your emotions. I must have struck a nerve.

    "Gay marriage and abortion would be outlawed in seconds"??? First of all, "gay marriage" is an oxymoron by the already established federal definition of marriage. It's sad that we even needed a federal definition of marriage, because it's one of those "duh" things that even kindergarteners could tell you, but one was finally officially provided by the Defense of Marriage Act that was signed into law by...a right-wing fundamentalist?? No! By Democrat President Bill Clinton! So, there is no possible way that a theoretical Evil Christian Party could "outlaw gay marriage" when there already IS NO SUCH THING TO OUTLAW.
    "Gay marriage" is not an oxymoron, you just want to believe it is because you think that is somehow a logical argument in your favor. That argument just makes you look unnecessarily rigid in an attempt to score points. Christian fundamentalists have supported constitutional amendments banning same sex marriage and they would, without a doubt, pass such an amendment if they have had the power. They would do this to undermine the sovereignty of places like Washington DC (a den of iniquity, like Sodom) which, not only recognize same sex marriages, but allows them to be performed.

    As for abortion, the supreme court has a little something to say about the subject, which is why when the Republicans controlled the presidency and both houses of Congress, abortion was not outlawed, and even if such a bill had passed, it would still have likely been struck down almost immediately by the courts, and take several years for a monumental Roe vs Wade type decision to be reached.
    Which is why Christian fundamentalists would try to simply change the Constitution. If they had the votes, they would pass a constitutional amendment banning abortion.

    So, on those two subjects alone you prove either your complete ignorance, or just your insistence on using ridiculous assertions as rhetoric for the sake of argument. The sad thing is, that idiots believe your kind of assanine assertions and vote accordingly, continuing to make me wish we had election tests that people had to take to prove they have a bloomin clue about anything related to government before they're allowed to vote.
    I make no asinine assertions. I make no assertions at all. I'm coming right out and saying, Christian fundamentalists would do these things if they had the power. Christine O'Donnell is a member of that group.

    Fine, continuing to be narrow-minded and failing to actually learn or engage someone in a discussion is certainly your right, but it's sad that you'd rather just make me a instead of actually discussing issues. It's possible we might actually agree on more than we disagree on, but we can't get to that because you'd rather just demonize groups and jump to conclusions about everything. If your kind of rhetoric represents "intellectual" then I am PROUD to be "anti-intellectual", though I'd term it as "Anti-pompous arrogant ignorant ass" instead.
    I've never read a post of yours that would make me believe you are any different than any random stereotypical Christian fundamentalist. Your final sentence serves as a good demonstration.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  2. #22
    Vaguely Precise Seymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    So, I don't like Christine O'Donnell for several reasons. I don't think she's well-informed on the realities of economics and governing and I don't think she's making herself available to answer questions about her positions and statements. I fear the Palin-esque trend of only speaking from a podium and never having to answer tough questions about what, exactly, one believes and what one meant by certain statements. Listening to the more adversarial style of other countries' interviews of politicians makes it clear how the media in this country treat politicians with kid gloves. And now some politicians are opting out of even that.

    On the flip side, I think making fun of her "whacky" statements is counter-productive, because many of them reflect what some Christian conservatives actually believe. By making fun of O'Donnell, one is feeding into their persecution complex and making them feel like a misunderstood minority. When you actually look at numbers, the story is more complicated than that:



    I'd much rather challenge people like Christine O'Donnell on their fitness to hold office, their knowledge of understanding of the issues and their ability to treat people of differing beliefs fairly. I think challenging them is appropriate when they want to make their religious beliefs law solely for religious reasons. I'd like to hear O'Donnell's answer questions for how her religious beliefs would affect her voting, and how she would represent her constituents who don't share her religious beliefs. I'm fine with one's religious beliefs giving rise to values that inform one's ethics, but that's a far cry from seeking to enshrine religious rules legally.

    Meanwhile, merely ridiculing her "whacky" statements seems counter-productive to me. If she thinks masturbation is a sin, that's her business unless she tries to impose her view legally.

  3. #23
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Listening to the more adversarial style of other countries' interviews of politicians makes it clear how the media in this country treat politicians with kid gloves. And now some politicians are opting out of even that.
    You know I noticed something funny about myself a couple of days ago related to this. I was watching Tony Blair on the Daily Show. I found myself having a lot of respect for him. Ironically I loathe Bush for getting us into Iraq. And yet Blair has had essentially the same stance as Bush on Iraq. So I'm not entirely sure why I respect Blair and hate Bush. (Anyone else experience this?)

    Although I think US media and foreign media have something to do with it. I've seen Tony Blair have to answer tough questions publicly (several times in fact), while I've rarely seen Bush have to do this.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  4. #24
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I WISH Christian fundamentalists were in charge of the party, but they're clearly not.
    Damn, that was the most frightening thing I've read all week!

    Only thing worse would be fundamentalist Muslims.

  5. #25
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    You know I noticed something funny about myself a couple of days ago related to this. I was watching Tony Blair on the Daily Show. I found myself having a lot of respect for him. Ironically I loathe Bush for getting us into Iraq. And yet Blair has had essentially the same stance as Bush on Iraq. So I'm not entirely sure why I respect Blair and hate Bush. (Anyone else experience this?)

    Although I think US media and foreign media have something to do with it. I've seen Tony Blair have to answer tough questions publicly (several times in fact), while I've rarely seen Bush have to do this.
    That's part of it, plus there is the sneaking suspicion from the American side that the administration purposely misled (or were willfully ignorant about analysis that said the opposite) the U.S. into the war in Iraq.

  6. #26
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    That's part of it, plus there is the sneaking suspicion from the American side that the administration purposely misled (or were willfully ignorant about analysis that said the opposite) the U.S. into the war in Iraq.
    Well this is the sort of thing that should be all over the media. If the government is trying to mislead people, then the media should be bringing that to light. Instead a lot of Americans think Iraq is somehow linked to 9/11. The media is not really holding the government accountable, which makes me think the flaw is really in the media rather than in the government.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  7. #27
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Well this is the sort of thing that should be all over the media. If the government is trying to mislead people, then the media should be bringing that to light. Instead a lot of Americans think Iraq is somehow linked to 9/11. The media is not really holding the government accountable, which makes me think the flaw is really in the media rather than in the government.
    "You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think."
    -Dorothy Parker

  8. #28
    veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You are clearly having difficulty controlling your emotions. I must have struck a nerve.
    Perception fail. I just like to emphasize things sometimes.


    "Gay marriage" is not an oxymoron, you just want to believe it is because you think that is somehow a logical argument in your favor. That argument just makes you look unnecessarily rigid in an attempt to score points. Christian fundamentalists have supported constitutional amendments banning same sex marriage and they would, without a doubt, pass such an amendment if they have had the power. They would do this to undermine the sovereignty of places like Washington DC (a den of iniquity, like Sodom) which, not only recognize same sex marriages, but allows them to be performed.
    Once again, you're wrong. You cannot BAN something that isn't legal in the first place. That's like saying the amendment that changed voting age was a "ban on 16-year old voting." It doesn't make any sense. There is no "gay marriage" to ban.

    I make no asinine assertions. I make no assertions at all. I'm coming right out and saying, Christian fundamentalists would do these things if they had the power. Christine O'Donnell is a member of that group.
    Sorry, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. Let me rephrase. You state incorrect facts and misleading rhetoric as facts with no basis or evidence but your own statements themselves, you constantly make assumptions with little or not evidence and back up nothing you say ever with anything but more of your own narrow-minded, ignorant propaganda.


    I've never read a post of yours that would make me believe you are any different than any random stereotypical Christian fundamentalist. Your final sentence serves as a good demonstration.
    Then, you have not read any of my posts or you have a severe reading comprehension problem. Judging by your inability or unwillingness to engage anyone with anything but strawman attack rhetoric, I'm going to guess it's a combination of both.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

    "I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

    The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

  9. #29
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    You know, many people are talking about the Tea Party losing its way by getting in bed with the Republican establishment. I understand the sentinment, but the bigger issues facing the Tea Partiers are letting every "anti-Washington" goofball into their ranks and then pimping candidates who appeal to them. The more they go off their small-government message, the more foolish they appear.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  10. #30
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    She sounds like she'd be entertaining.
    Entertainment today is politics.

Similar Threads

  1. Video: Meet Christine, the INFP!
    By highlander in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-03-2017, 12:37 PM
  2. Would you vote Rosie O' Donnell in 2020?
    By ilikeitlikethat in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-19-2017, 11:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO