123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Redesigned American Currency

Interesting slideshow on some current redesigns appearing in Dollar ReDe$ign Project project:

15 Amazing New Designs For The Dollar Bill (PHOTOS)

Some of the concepts are drastic, yet pretty cool looking.
    Opinions?
    Good idea? Bad?
    Should a redesigned paper currency resemble the old currency in some way, or is it fine/valuable to start completely fresh? Why or why not?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFJ

I do not like the concept of US money looking like European/Canadian money. They have great ideas on some things, but the last thing we need is to take their money ideas.

Vertical money would be cool though. I wonder if we'd get vertical wallets?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ

Those pictures were dreadful, and frankly the idea of Obama on our currency is utterly pathetic. He would replace Washington on the 1 dollar bill... seriously?

Also most of those horrid looking things looked like stamps, Amelia Earhart? huh? Isnt she famous for crashing somewhere and never being found? What idiot designed these?
    Ground control to Major Tom

MBTI
    ENFJ

I was under the impression that Obama wouldn't be on the currency because he's not dead (yet), but it was just to show off the design of the guy who would really be on there.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I was under the impression that Obama wouldn't be on the currency because he's not dead (yet), but it was just to show off the design of the guy who would really be on there.
    I think it looked more like wishful thinking, but guessing the artists motives is moot, we can all probably agree it was a stupid decision though, especially since he replaced an actual dead, and historical and more relevant person with someone with really great media appeal today who will likely never be more famous for anything but his skin tone.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

The only thing I support is changing the sizes of the bills so that it isn't impossible for the blind to determine what is what. Thats not a personal preference, as I like how neatly the bills stack. But there is necessity for it.

Those designs aren't all that impressive to me though.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    I think it looked more like wishful thinking, but guessing the artists motives is moot, we can all probably agree it was a stupid decision though, especially since he replaced an actual dead, and historical and more relevant person with someone with really great media appeal today who will likely never be more famous for anything but his skin tone.
    Yeah, I think there was one with FDR on the hundred, I kinda liked that one.

If you had to pick people besides presidents to put on money, who would you pick? I'd probably pick people who were important to money... cuz, then, you know, it's like recursive.

Some of those looked like fair tickets, though! Don't make our money look like fun fair tickets.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

@Billy. These are just artistic explorations. I don't think this is endorsed by the Fed Gov, although I think they'd like to offer a proposal to the feds, based on currency that is being used in other countries.

I think the reasoning for the choices in the series you are criticizing was also spelled out: The artist in question was looking at America's rich ethnic and cultural heritage and just tossing in various important reps of different groups. Obama was probably chosen because he was the nation's first black president, after decades of slavery in this country and the need to create anti-race laws within the last fifty years. Whether or not you agree with his politics, he's representative of a large shift in American thought, and I think that was what was being highlighted. Chances are it could be changed to someone else; but I think that particular series wanted to avoid showing only a bunch of middle/aristocratic rich white guys who have been dead for a century or two and only represent a fraction of our culture.

@Patches: What would be impressive to you, if these weren't? What do you think would have been better?

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    If you had to pick people besides presidents to put on money, who would you pick?
    Good question. Anyone else want to describe who they would pick, and why?

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    @Billy. These are just artistic explorations. I don't think this is endorsed by the Fed Gov, although I think they'd like to offer a proposal to the feds, based on currency that is being used in other countries.

I think the reasoning for the choices in the series you are criticizing was also spelled out: The artist in question was looking at America's rich ethnic and cultural heritage and just tossing in various important reps of different groups. Obama was probably chosen because he was the nation's first black president, after decades of slavery in this country and the need to create anti-race laws within the last fifty years. Whether or not you agree with his politics, he's representative of a large shift in American thought, and I think that was what was being highlighted. Chances are it could be changed to someone else; but I think that particular series wanted to avoid showing only a bunch of middle/aristocratic rich white guys who have been dead for a century or two and only represent a fraction of our culture.

@Patches: What would be impressive to you, if these weren't? What do you think would have been better?

Good question. Anyone else want to describe who they would pick, and why?
    Obama is the son of an African citizen and a white woman, if we are going to put someone on the 1 DOLLAR BILL ( a place usually held for Washington) then we should at least put someone on there who deserves it, and if its for the reasons you ascribe then I say lets put Jesse Jackson on there or some other black guy who did more in the name of Civil Rights because comparatively Obama did nothing for civil rights and yet is reaping all the rewards for the struggles of black americans who's families actually suffered through this countries fucked up past.

And I never said these notes were endorsed by the Fed, I said that the artist who ejected Washington for Obama is clearly a dumbass. At least thats what I was insinuating.

As for who or what I would put on the notes, I wouldnt put humans on them at all. I would put national landmarks or something. Humans have checkered pasts and as such one can always find a reason to bicker about specific persons, so lets just avoid that whole mess and put US-centric national landmarks and symbolism. The eagle is a good standby, maybe do it by region like they did with quarters.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Obama is the son of an African citizen and a white woman, if we are going to put someone on the 1 DOLLAR BILL ( a place usually held for Washington) then we should at least put someone on there who deserves it, and if its for the reasons you ascribe then I say lets put Jesse Jackson on there or some other black guy who did more in the name of Civil Rights because comparatively Obama did nothing for civil rights and yet is reaping all the rewards for the struggles of black americans who's families actually suffered through this countries fucked up past.
    Well, I think Jackson might even be more controversial, honestly. Any other choices you can think of as a black representative?

And I never said these notes were endorsed by the Fed, I said that the artist who ejected Washington for Obama is clearly a dumbass. At least thats what I was insinuating.
    I couldn't tell from your writing, so I was clarifying in order to make sure you weren't misunderstanding. Thanks for explaining.

As for who or what I would put on the notes, I wouldnt put humans on them at all. I would put national landmarks or something. Humans have checkered pasts and as such one can always find a reason to bicker about specific persons, so lets just avoid that whole mess and put US-centric national landmarks and symbolism. The eagle is a good standby, maybe do it by region like they did with quarters.
    That's a good point. A lot of the current currency does have buildings and such... but usually on the backs rather than the "face" of the bill. How many other countries don't put faces on their bills? I'm having trouble thinking of any right now, but I admit my knowledge of foreign currency is limited.