User Tag List

First 78910 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    I have an excellent idea for the USA to save money - abolish all coins below a dime. Australia abolished 1c, 2c coins almost 20 years ago and the result has only been positive.
    Seems to me that the absence of smaller value coins would make combined federal, state, and local sales taxes (and by association the spending policies of the same) rather problematic...especially where sales taxes are less than ten cents on the dollar. There is also the potential impact on the market, where businesses will occasionally be forced to settle on economically inefficient prices and salaries...

Getting rid of pennies is far more trouble than its worth.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm kind of amused that people even still USE cash for anything... last time I got cash involved going to an ATM to get money for a tip for my hairdresser
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Re: lowtech redneck

We have sales taxes too. It simply isn't a problem. Overall you come out pretty even in terms of rounding.

For that matter, why don't you guys advertise prices INCLUDING the tax, so you don't have to do stupid mental calculations whenever you buy something? Most other countries do, and again it is much better that way.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP

These were beautiful! I'm all for carrying pretty things! The colors, the designs, the people on them! And the lack of dead white men on them. GObama! :3
    a cat is fine too

MBTI
    INTP

Re: lowtech redneck

We have sales taxes too. It simply isn't a problem. Overall you come out pretty even in terms of rounding.

For that matter, why don't you guys advertise prices INCLUDING the tax, so you don't have to do stupid mental calculations whenever you buy something? Most other countries do, and again it is much better that way.
    1.) In terms of taxes and spending, the localities I've lived in have often included moderately robust political debates about increasing the sales tax by one or two cents: make it so any taxes have to be changed on the basis of ten cent intervals and a whole host of predictable problems can arise just at the local level. Now add the cumulative effect of other layers of government independently changing the sales tax by ten cent intervals....you'll either starve government of funds because smaller (and therefore more palatable) tax increases are not an option, or greatly increase the revenue that government takes in beyond what is needed for its intended purpose, leading to a larger and more intrusive government. Basically, people of either political tendency would have reason to be nervous about this.

As for the private sphere, I suspect that the impact is substantial but hidden; a market with less versatile money can function, but not as efficiently as ones which give economic agents greater leeway in terms of determining prices and setting salaries.

2.) As for the second paragraph, two reasons come to mind: Stores like to play psychological games with consumer minds, and it conveniently reminds people just how high sales taxes are.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

The rounding happens at the sum-total, not at the individual price level. If you are taxing one cent in a dollar, it would only be an issue for purchases totalling less than $10. But the overall effect of rounding is close to neutral for the business and for the customer, well, it depends on their purchasing behaviour.

I'm not sure if playing games with your customers minds is a great policy. If only half of the stores did it, you would quickly find that the others would change too.

MBTI
    INTP

The rounding happens at the sum-total, not at the individual price level. If you are taxing one cent in a dollar, it would only be an issue for purchases totalling less than $10. But the overall effect of rounding is close to neutral for the business and for the customer, well, it depends on their purchasing behaviour.

I'm not sure if playing games with your customers minds is a great policy. If only half of the stores did it, you would quickly find that the others would change too.
    1.) And the same with salaries too, I suppose? That would work much better than the way I envisioned it, but it still seems like somewhat unwieldy and potentially problematic system to me. I wouldn't go for it, but I can see why reasonable people would disagree.

2.) The problem is that consumers/voters also benefit from this game (i.e. always knowing what sales taxes are, thereby giving them knowledge against the interests of both businesses and government).

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Peak oil is not peak energy. But I'm guessing your point is considering the fact that an inflationary shock would certainly have an impact on our use of physical currency.
    More that petroleum is the functional base of the global currency system.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    More that petroleum is the functional base of the global currency system.
    It is certainly a part, but definitely not the base. There are a lot of resources used in an economy you know..

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5

You can't put lipstick on a pig.
    Type 6w5 sp/so/sx I think..I have not fully explored this and just discovered it.