User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 93

  1. #71
    The Eighth Colour Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    "Report: Replacing $1 Bills with $1 Coins Could Save America Billions"

    I think this is based on a fallacious assumption. The assumption that people will still be using coins or paper money in 30 years. Secondly, plastic notes as used in Australia are certainly durable enough. Just because the USA uses poor quality paper money doesn't mean that paper money cannot last.

    I have an excellent idea for the USA to save money - abolish all coins below a dime. Australia abolished 1c, 2c coins almost 20 years ago and the result has only been positive.

  2. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    "Report: Replacing $1 Bills with $1 Coins Could Save America Billions"

    I think this is based on a fallacious assumption. The assumption that people will still be using coins or paper money in 30 years. Secondly, plastic notes as used in Australia are certainly durable enough. Just because the USA uses poor quality paper money doesn't mean that paper money cannot last.

    I have an excellent idea for the USA to save money - abolish all coins below a dime. Australia abolished 1c, 2c coins almost 20 years ago and the result has only been positive.
    Its to do with forgery, coins are harder to forge, forgery is one of the many tactics which is used by hostile business or political interests to undermine or destablise an economy, they could be foreign or domestic.

  3. #73
    triple nerd score poppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    2,220

    Default

    I am totally pro bright colors and MLK dollars.

    I am a little puzzled by the Amelia Earhart thing. I mean she was a cool woman, but really, I think there have been more influential ladies in American history if we're making an effort to honor people who aren't white men.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

  4. #74
    The Eighth Colour Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its to do with forgery, coins are harder to forge, forgery is one of the many tactics which is used by hostile business or political interests to undermine or destablise an economy, they could be foreign or domestic.
    If forgery was a big deal, why does the USA still insist on banknotes that are based on obsolete paper technology? Modern banknotes are much more difficult to forge.

  5. #75
    Senior Member Perch420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Wow, those pictures fucking suck. I could design better currency.

  6. #76
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    "Report: Replacing $1 Bills with $1 Coins Could Save America Billions"

    I think this is based on a fallacious assumption. The assumption that people will still be using coins or paper money in 30 years. Secondly, plastic notes as used in Australia are certainly durable enough. Just because the USA uses poor quality paper money doesn't mean that paper money cannot last.

    I have an excellent idea for the USA to save money - abolish all coins below a dime. Australia abolished 1c, 2c coins almost 20 years ago and the result has only been positive.
    People will still use coins and paper money, because black markets will still exist, and people will have a psychological need for tangible liquid assets. E-money won't take its place, because it can disappear easily. Though I agree on the removal of lower denomination coins, it's probably impossible because of metals industry lobbies.

  7. #77
    The Eighth Colour Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    A lot can happen in 30-40 years....

  8. #78
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    A lot can happen in 30-40 years....
    True, but what's more interesting are the large-scale changes that go entirely unnoticed. For example, what happens to money, period, if we really have hit peak oil?

  9. #79
    The Eighth Colour Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    Peak oil is not peak energy. But I'm guessing your point is considering the fact that an inflationary shock would certainly have an impact on our use of physical currency.

  10. #80
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    I have an excellent idea for the USA to save money - abolish all coins below a dime. Australia abolished 1c, 2c coins almost 20 years ago and the result has only been positive.
    I'm in favor of this.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




Similar Threads

  1. Americans + backpacking
    By JivinJeffJones in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-14-2012, 12:19 PM
  2. American Chopper: Sr & jr
    By alcea rosea in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-21-2009, 07:22 AM
  3. Vote Match quiz (american presidential election)
    By tovlo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-20-2008, 06:44 AM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-27-2007, 08:30 PM
  5. North American Union: How Would You Feel/Think About It?
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 08-24-2007, 04:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO