User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 62

  1. #51
    will make your day Carebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Good evidence for whether being in smaller pieces makes any difference is the damage Shoemaker-Levy did to Jupiter.. in pieces it still did Earth sized damage..
    Wouldn't the relatively small size of TU24 and earth's atmosphere change the equation somewhat? Smaller fragments burn quicker and if the rock was shattered I'd imagine most would burn up before reaching the ground. What am I missing?
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

  2. #52
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    Wouldn't the relatively small size of TU24 and earth's atmosphere change the equation somewhat? Smaller fragments burn quicker and if the rock was shattered I'd imagine most would burn up before reaching the ground. What am I missing?
    Who knows? If you have a 10,000 tonne asteroid, and turn it into 10 scattered radioactive 1000 tonne pieces.. it might be an improvement! Might be?

  3. #53
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I'm talking about us spotting one coming from 6 months away. With a manned space rocket and some nukes.. we might have a plan. With an orbiter? Bit too close to launch nukes... that's what I was getting at.
    Dude, we've landed robots on comets and asteroids before. Spotting them 6 months out though is pretty rough, though that limit is more along the lines of how many telescopes we have looking for them.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #54
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Dude, we've landed robots on comets and asteroids before. Spotting them 6 months out though is pretty rough, though that limit is more along the lines of how many telescopes we have looking for them.
    Yes.. I see your point. Didn't we crash something into a comet too just for kicks?

    I just think a mission like oncoming asteroid.. that needs a bunch of guys in a space rocket with a variety of nukes and other tools for the job.

    Landing a 1kg robot is one thing, priming a bunch of nukes to affect or destroy a spinning asteroid is another!

    Still, would make a great movie. Wait.. did someone already make it?

  5. #55
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Yes.. I see your point. Didn't we crash something into a comet too just for kicks?

    I just think a mission like oncoming asteroid.. that needs a bunch of guys in a space rocket with a variety of nukes and other tools for the job.

    Landing a 1kg robot is one thing, priming a bunch of nukes to affect or destroy a spinning asteroid is another!

    Still, would make a great movie. Wait.. did someone already make it?
    Two, one was an asteroid, the other was a comet; but both used nukes brought there by people. The problem with getting people out there is that it results in the requirement for extra propellant for the extra payload. Running people out to deflect an asteroid right now is more a flight of fantasy that is best left to the guys on strike in Hollywood. At least untill we work out a better presence out there and are closer to FTL technology.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  6. #56
    will make your day Carebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    1,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Who knows? If you have a 10,000 tonne asteroid, and turn it into 10 scattered radioactive 1000 tonne pieces.. it might be an improvement! Might be?
    Ok, too many unknowns I see. Was it actually 10,000 tonnes? Would it turn into 10 scattered 1000 ton pieces or 10,000 scattered 1 tonne pieces? Would some of the pieces be deflected? How much mass can be burned in the atmosphere with different densities/surfaces.

    I'm starting to see that the results would be disastrous in most scenarios however.

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Still, would make a great movie. Wait.. did someone already make it?
    At least two come to think of it. One where nothing worked, one where shattering it yielded favourable results. I'm starting to see that Deep Impact was more realistic than Armageddon.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

  7. #57
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    Deep Impact was slightly more realistic, but it's really hard to know how a thing will fracture unless you have some really good details on it's structure and composition.

    I just know that you really don't want pieces if you can help it and if there are any you want them to be smaller than your office printer.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  8. #58
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    Ok, too many unknowns I see. Was it actually 10,000 tonnes? Would it turn into 10 scattered 1000 ton pieces or 10,000 scattered 1 tonne pieces? Would some of the pieces be deflected? How much mass can be burned in the atmosphere with different densities/surfaces.

    I'm starting to see that the results would be disastrous in most scenarios however.
    Nah, don't worry it isn't 10,000 tonnes.

    Estimate on wikipedia is 24 million tonnes. (at least if I understand 2.4 e^10 kg correctly...)

    I presume that'd made a dent, even in 1000 pieces

  9. #59
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    The size of the pieces shouldn't be so much of a concern as the number of fragments that ends up orbiting earth no?

  10. #60
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    The size of the pieces shouldn't be so much of a concern as the number of fragments that ends up orbiting earth no?
    They'll eventually fall and burn up... ^^;;
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Similar Threads

  1. Mining Asteroids
    By darlets in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-13-2008, 12:57 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-20-2008, 08:21 PM
  3. eyebyte II: eyebyte strikes back - 2008
    By eyebyte in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 12:28 PM
  4. 2008, Bring it!
    By Tigerlily in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 05:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO