User Tag List

First 34567 Last

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    The ones big enough to hit the ground but small enough not to cause global devistation they just watch. It's the global killers they want to be worried about because if it's course can be adjusted then they'd wrather do that instead of let us all die.
    Awww... it'll be so much fun if you get a really big meteorite... then they can test the dinosaur extinction hypothesis again. We'll all be dead afterwards but that's a separate issue.

MBTI
    INTJ

One is going to pass by us tomorrow. It will be 1.5 times further from us than the moon, but it will be close enough to see with a medium sized amature telescope. The scare with the one passing by Mars is that alignment is going to prevent us from seeing where it's going once Mars messes with its path gravitationally. The one passing by us is going to be easier to track and thus allow us to get an idea of the next time it decides on a flyby.
    What's the name of that one?

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    So... uh, how would they plan to adjust its course exactly?
    Can we shoot it with our Reagan-era "star wars" stuff?
    I would think we might be able to change its curse, kind of like billiards.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    What's the name of that one?
    Corrections from NASA website: 2007 TU24 is the one coming close to us today, 2007 WD5 will be passing by Mars tomorrow.

Asteroid headed by us

Asteroid headed by Mars

I've been watching news on these for weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Awww... it'll be so much fun if you get a really big meteorite... then they can test the dinosaur extinction hypothesis again. We'll all be dead afterwards but that's a separate issue.
    It can be done, just set up a base on the moon to watch it from.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    So... uh, how would they plan to adjust its course exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I was reading a piece by Bill Bryson on it, who pointed out that if we hit it with a nuclear arsenal (put to one side for a moment the fact that we don't have any space propelled rockets...)... we would turn an asteroid into a number of pieces, with the added bonus that they were all now radioactive, but still going in the same direction. Good evidence for whether being in smaller pieces makes any difference is the damage Shoemaker-Levy did to Jupiter.. in pieces it still did Earth sized damage..
    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Can we shoot it with our Reagan-era "star wars" stuff?
    I would think we might be able to change its curse, kind of like billiards.
    Geoff is closest, but I think his error is more out of cynicism for the idea. The two I remember best are below:

Nuclear Warhead
    This was mostly to be used on more structurally sound asteroids to give them a nudge out of the way. The pros to this is that it can be done the quickest; the cons is the possible fragmentation of the asteroid.

Mass Ejection
    This is basically the use of a small mining robot that lands on the asteroid and fires pieces of the asteroid off into space over an extended period of time to gradually change it's trajectory. Pros are that you don't have to be as concerned about the structural integrity of the asteroid; the con is that it takes a long damn time.

I know there was also the thought of attatching a rocket to it and controling it into an orbit around the sun that would allow us access to it and mine it for resources; but that had a fuel problem.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    OMNi

I imagine if we caught a NEO on a collision course soon enough we could probably save our butts by speeding the thing up with rockets or exploding nuclear weapons behind it. We are a moving target, so the key would be getting it to move too fast so it shoots in front of us instead of directly into us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INFP

It would be an awesome, coincidental honor be alive when the planet is destroyed..

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I imagine if we caught a NEO on a collision course soon enough we could probably save our butts by speeding the thing up with rockets or exploding nuclear weapons behind it. We are a moving target, so the key would be getting it to move too fast so it shoots in front of us instead of directly into us.
    That's basically what most of the ideas out there are based around: trajectory modification.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    It would be an awesome, coincidental honor be alive when the planet is destroyed..
    The actual planet will be fine, it's just what ever is living on it that will have issues.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INXP

Geoff is closest, but I think his error is more out of cynicism for the idea. The two I remember best are below:
    Yes, and also grounded in the reality that we as a species have no manned space going vessels. We can't even go to the moon anymore. I know the rumours about whether NASA destroyed the Saturn 5 plans may turn out to be false.. but that doesn't really matter.. it was all so long ago most of the parts are no longer available.

Point is, if we see an asteroid coming, we won't have enough time to engineer a solution, or use an existing one because the development cycle is too long.

Unless someone stumps up the billions to get another spacegoing rocket always available to counter threats from space.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Yes, and also grounded in the reality that we as a species have no manned space going vessels. We can't even go to the moon anymore. I know the rumours about whether NASA destroyed the Saturn 5 plans may turn out to be false.. but that doesn't really matter.. it was all so long ago most of the parts are no longer available.

Point is, if we see an asteroid coming, we won't have enough time to engineer a solution, or use an existing one because the development cycle is too long.

Unless someone stumps up the billions to get another spacegoing rocket always available to counter threats from space.
    Thankfully not every NEO we find is on its way to kill us right then and there, and how the hell do you think they're getting other spacecraft up there other than the spaceshuttle. Gallileo, Cassini, MESENGER... look those up, they weren't put out there with the shuttle. Please also remember that these objects are in orbit around the sun; it may not hit us now, but if we can get an acurate idea of if an when it will we can do something about it. Please don't take what I know as point blank optimism; I'm just stating what's there and what ideas are floating around. I fully understand and accept the probability of one of these things ass fucking us blind sided.

EDIT: by the way, who said these need to be manned?

INFP, 6w7, IEI

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INXP

Thankfully not every NEO we find is on its way to kill us right then and there, and how the hell do you think they're getting other spacecraft up there other than the spaceshuttle. Gallileo, Cassini, MESENGER... look those up, they weren't put out there with the shuttle. Please also remember that these objects are in orbit around the sun; it may not hit us now, but if we can get an acurate idea of if an when it will we can do something about it. Please don't take what I know as point blank optimism; I'm just stating what's there and what ideas are floating around. I fully understand and accept the probability of one of these things ass fucking us blind sided.

EDIT: by the way, who said these need to be manned?
    I'm talking about us spotting one coming from 6 months away. With a manned space rocket and some nukes.. we might have a plan. With an orbiter? Bit too close to launch nukes... that's what I was getting at.