User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

My neighborhood is a giant crater of smoldering ashes and I'm posting from heaven, could that be related?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    My neighborhood is a giant crater of smoldering ashes and I'm posting from heaven, could that be related?
    Heaven?

You?

I doubt it.

(Okay, of course I don't, but it was too big an opening to pass up.)

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I don't really understand why people think it's going to hit the Earth if it's more likely to hit Mars.
    Because we are ethnocentrically biased against Martians, so we aren't as concerned about them?

...just an unrelated coincidence probably.

And since you're posting from heaven, maybe you could chime in on some of those does God exist threads!

MBTI
    INXP

Message from :

You appear to have taken a wrong turning, please take the set of stairs marked and remember, this is a Smoking area.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

One is going to pass by us tomorrow. It will be 1.5 times further from us than the moon, but it will be close enough to see with a medium sized amature telescope. The scare with the one passing by Mars is that alignment is going to prevent us from seeing where it's going once Mars messes with its path gravitationally. The one passing by us is going to be easier to track and thus allow us to get an idea of the next time it decides on a flyby.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I don't understand why people are so concern... if it's going to cause a major disaster of unknown proportions, it's going to do that regardless of whether we know about it or not. There's nothing we can do... precautionary measures or otherwise. So let's just sit back and enjoy the show.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    I don't understand why people are so concern... if it's going to cause a major disaster of unknown proportions, it's going to do that regardless of whether we know about it or not. There's nothing we can do... precautionary measures or otherwise. So let's just sit back and enjoy the show.
    The ones big enough to hit the ground but small enough not to cause global devistation they just watch. It's the global killers they want to be worried about because if it's course can be adjusted then they'd wrather do that instead of let us all die.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    The ones big enough to hit the ground but small enough not to cause global devistation they just watch. It's the global killers they want to be worried about because if it's course can be adjusted then they'd wrather do that instead of let us all die.
    So... uh, how would they plan to adjust its course exactly?

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    So... uh, how would they plan to adjust its course exactly?
    I was reading a piece by Bill Bryson on it, who pointed out that if we hit it with a nuclear arsenal (put to one side for a moment the fact that we don't have any space propelled rockets...)... we would turn an asteroid into a number of pieces, with the added bonus that they were all now radioactive, but still going in the same direction. Good evidence for whether being in smaller pieces makes any difference is the damage Shoemaker-Levy did to Jupiter.. in pieces it still did Earth sized damage..