User Tag List

First 12345 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

We've have way too many problems here on earth to be going crazy whenever an asteroid comes by.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    Well, if the world is going to end, there's nothing you could do to stop it, so the paranoia is useless energy wasted... perhaps refocus your daughter on managing the here and now, and what's real?
    My daughter is an ISTJ, so she's pretty concrete that way anyway.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    I read somewhere that asteroids mainly burn up on entering our atmosphere actually.

It's the first time I've heard this version, it's lovely. The Sting version was the one I'd said was good for making happy-happy with (pardon the euphemism, this isn't the maturity sextion.)
    Oh dear, libido giving you gyp is it? I only wondered what the music was.. perhaps a cold shower would help !

-Geoff

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    We've have way too many problems here on earth to be going crazy whenever an asteroid comes by.
    Asteroids are legitimate threats to our existence, just not this one.

I don't really see how the comparison of this asteroid to Tunguska applies. Tunguska entered our atmosphere and exploded over Siberia. TU24 will miss us by hundreds of thousands of miles. The hypothesis about the asteroid being negatively charged is interesting, but that's the first I've heard of anything like that. I'm thinking it's probably BS.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I would suggest sending her this link..

Bad Astronomy Blog

That pretty much covers it for me...

-Geoff
    Yeah, I saw that yesterday and sent it to her.

I sent her some other links, too.

I had to do some research for my own piece of mind.
    I posted here right after I got her email and saw the youtube video, then I went hunting around for more "authoritative" information.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Asteroids are legitimate threats to our existence, just not this one.

I don't really see how the comparison of this asteroid to Tunguska applies. Tunguska entered our atmosphere and exploded over Siberia. TU24 will miss us by hundreds of thousands of miles. The hypothesis about the asteroid being negatively charged is interesting, but that's the first I've heard of anything like that. I'm thinking it's probably BS.
    Thanks for the reassurance. Much appreciated!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Thanks for the reassurance. Much appreciated!
    After a little research, my hunch was confirmed. Large celestial bodies will have a charge that is effectively neutral. That bit about a negatively charged asteroid causing havoc with our magnetosphere is completely baseless.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    After a little research, my hunch was confirmed. Large celestial bodies will have a charge that is effectively neutral. That bit about a negatively charged asteroid causing havoc with our magnetosphere is completely baseless.
    But that's because negatively charged celestial bodies theoretically don't exist?

What if the theory is wrong? Then there is a chance of life coming to an end as we know it?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Wow, I hope it hits.

Um...Mars...not us.
    I call my lawyer.

MBTI
    INXP

So, did anyone notice anything exciting involving asteroid TU24 at 8:30ish GMT this morning?