User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Default How did you get the politics you did

This is in terms of childhood, major life experiences, someone offering you $1,000,000 if you became a christian democrat, etc.

For me: I was raised U.S. style liberal, and that has stuck around.

I have sort of a "libertarian" personailty, in that I don't trust authority easily, generally hate being controlled and will push and fight against it, and tend to live life relatively individualisticly, some of this undoubtedly seeps into politics.

I have always tended to be a math/science/technology person in terms of learning, so tend to view solutions to political issues as being solvable with enough information. They also should be tested before being used, and will most likely involve a mixture of ideas for running a country.

I tend to not spend much money, so it is quite annoying to see large amounts of budget deficits in the U.S.

I tend to ignore ceremonies, holidays, and such (unless these got me off of school and/or involved presents.) Ideas for running countries based off of traditions and such also have little effect. Similarily, I feel little loyalty to things like schools and cities just because I happened to be associated with them, so things such as "preserving national culture" tend to seem quite strange to me.

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

My political views are different than that of my family, and of the house I was raised in. I think age and information have helped me come to the most informative decisions. I also spend a fair bit of time on some political boards. Mostly US based but still. You take the good with the bad stir them together and come up with something workable.
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    INTj

. . . through my parents beliefs, the tenants of my religious upbringing, and the University of California indoctrination process (to which I'm a big fan, by the way).

MBTI
    ENFJ

I got my political stances from my dad.

...He's not a fan of the Republican party.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    INFP

my parents never instilled religious or political beliefs upon me. if ever i labeled myself in front of my dad, he would discourage it. he greatly encouraged autonomy and free-thinking. i thank him for that. now i'm reather uninterested in politics themselves. issues, i have my views. but i don't really have a desire to make an impact.. however selfish that sounds. i just stick to my own code of ethics and teach by example. *shrug*

MBTI
    INTP

I learned in high school American history class about the robber barons and the trusts of the late 1800s and early 1900s. The mischief caused by their gaming the system made it necessary to regulate them through the Interstate Commerce Commission, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Food and Drug Administration, the Federal Trade Commission, and other agencies. That's what made me a believer in well-regulated capitalism. Those who didn't learn the same lesson are now learning it through the experience of Enron, the S&Ls of the 1980s, etc.

The Republicans, who dominated government in the decades after the Civil War, allowed big business to game the system to the detriment of almost everyone else. The GOP, which was founded to fight for the poor farmers against the Eastern money establishment, had sold out to the money men within 10 years of Lincoln's death. Teddy Roosevelt fought the good fight to clean up the GOP, but it reverted to form. Whatever the Republicans say, if you are not rich, they don't represent you. That's why I vote Democratic.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I was indoctrinated by the religious right as a teen, but when we got out on our own and tried to make it, the odds seem so stacked against us and I eventually realized it seemed that way because it was that way.

However, I was strongly pro-life and against gay marriage, so I continued to vote Republican. Then I couldn't figure out what was supposed to be so bad about gay marriage and realized that we need to do something different with domestic partnerships in general in order to afford non-marrieds some legal protection. I remembered how horrible it was not to be involved in the last part of my grandpa's life because he was not legally my family and how bad would it suck for that to happen to someone's lover, gay or straight?

And I came to believe that the republicans had no intention of ever trying to so much as reduce abortion because they do not want poor people to have babies. They hate paying taxes to help the poor.

I do not know if the Democrats will be any better but they would be hard pressed to be worse, so there you go.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    Whatever the Republicans say, if you are not rich, they don't represent you. That's why I vote Democratic.
    I should amend that a bit. If you're not rich the Republicans might coincidentally represent you. Just know that when push comes to shove, they side with the big money every time.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling
    How did you get the politics you did?
    Living on the edge of one of the largest council estates in Europe.

Reading books/essays by this person.

Margaret Thatcher's government nearly killing our economy.

Reading books by George Orwell.

Living in a city what has no conservatives, even if it is stereotype as a conservative heart land. But everyone knows poor people only live in the cities these days.

Coming from a one of the UK cities with the highest Green Party representation.

Living in a in the most anti-car city in the UK. What has probably the best public transport in the UK. And what is one of the few UK cities where unsubsidised competition in transport still exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INTP

I fall libertarian mostly because I always have, obviously, felt autonomy was important. Leave me alone, and everyone else, we'll all be fine. Recently though, I've started to realize that not everyone is created equal and maybe it's not so fair to expect stupid people to be as successful as smart ones. (I'm not successful either, so if you're not, I'm not calling you dumb.)

So basically, I don't know, its in morph mode at the moment.