User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 64

  1. #11
    Senior Member htb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    I thought my way out of leftism.

  2. #12
    / booyalab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    I thought my way out of leftism.



    I suppose my politics have something to do with my parents. They've never been very partisan or group-oriented people. They're both right-leaning because they think government can be delegated responsibility for a select few things, like infrastructure and the rule of law, and government expansion in most areas is doomed from the get go. But, unlike me (and my brother, come to think of it), their morals would never allow them to associate much with libertarians. Prostitution is evil to them and so is drug-use. I don't like either thing myself but I tend to call myself libertarian when people ask because I think it clarifies to others the views that are most important to me. On the other hand, I disagree with a lot of libertarians on foreign policy and apparently there are a few libertarians that want to amend the constitution.
    I don't wanna!

  3. #13
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    I was brought up with freedom of thought. My parents voted differently to one another, and my older sister differently again.

    We have discussions, as a family but I was encouraged to make my own mind up.

    I keep drifting between right and left, as each government seems middle ground and as bad as the last.

    I actually took the rather novel approach, at the last election, of comparing the parties without any preconceptions... totted up the good and bad points and voted for the one that best fit. So much better than the "fanboy/girl" approach preferred by most, who would never switch political allegiance just because of policies (odd, when you think about it, isnt it?)

    -Geoff

  4. #14
    only bites when provoked
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Radical libertarian, in spite of the perpetual forcing of authoritarian socialist ideals down my throat in college (they would even test you to see if you held authoritarian socialist ideals so they could give lower grades to people that are not...I just did what they wanted to hear) and the fact my parents have been republicans most of my life.

    It seems that it's most common for people that work in my industry to be Republicans, followed by Libertarians, and I have noticed that the less accepting of authority, the more likely they are to be Libertarian and better at what they do...

  5. #15
    Senior Member htb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    [I] tend to call myself libertarian when people ask because I think it clarifies to others the views that are most important to me. On the other hand, I disagree with a lot of libertarians on foreign policy and apparently there are a few libertarians that want to amend the constitution.
    There are libertarians who mean to be so scrupulous that their positions are doctrinaire and, in circumstances that would require moderation, often counteractive to classical liberalism. Those are to be found at Reason and in the Cato Institute. Other libertarians -- several leading rightist bloggers and, say, columnists like Deroy Murdock -- aren't as theoretically inconsistent as they are less comprehensive, so mostly common-sense with a few individualist/objectivist crotchets.

  6. #16

    Default

    My politics got overhauled when I became an atheist.

    I went from laissaize-faire capitalism and social conservatism (anti-drug, anti-gay, etc.) to a 'traditional' reform-liberal. Free market with social safety net, along with social/civil liberties.

    I am less about ideology than I am about finding ways to alleviate social problems. I can break rules here - drug safe houses, legalized prostitution, tattoo clinics in prison - if the greater crisis can be averted.

    People are fuckups, and it's time we learn to live with it.

  7. #17
    Senior Member meshou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    I thought my way out of leftism.
    That's funny, I thought my way out of rightism.
    Let's do this thing.

  8. #18
    / booyalab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meshou View Post
    That's funny, I thought my way out of rightism.
    usually people feel their way out of rightism
    I don't wanna!

  9. #19
    Senior Member meshou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    usually people feel their way out of rightism
    Yeah, statements like that just reek of the spirit of philosophic inquiry.
    Let's do this thing.

  10. #20
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    usually people feel their way out of rightism
    I know I moved out of rightism around the time I starting learning about externalities in economics. It also talked me out of libertarianism - the more I learn about people, the less I follow the right or liberatariansim, just as the more I learn about group behaviour, the less I follow leftism. Kinda leaves me in the middle.

    Either way, it is more than possible to think their way out of rightism the right is every bit as "feely" in terms of ethnocentric bias and social order views. The right tough guy persona is the same as the left touchy feely persona and both appeal to the same level of instinct in people.

Similar Threads

  1. How did you get your job?
    By Crescent Fresh in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-28-2011, 12:36 PM
  2. [INFP] How did you find the person of your dreams?
    By elementaltale in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 10:28 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 11:23 PM
  4. How did you find out your type?
    By Economica in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-15-2007, 03:14 PM
  5. How did you find out about MBTI?
    By Economica in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-08-2007, 06:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO