User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

While I would have no problem with the dad making a stern speech or something...this could have been handled much better, and doesn't change the fact that he seems like a hotheaded idiot. Hell, all he had to do was get their names and get a conference with the kids and the principal. I have no patience with adults who act off-the-cuff like this, nor do I have patience with bullies. If you're gonna act like either the dad or these kids, you shouldn't be trusted with something like a kid with special needs, and deserve to have charges coming your way. That being said, as a disabled guy with a bit of a temper, I can understand the sensitivity of the situation and think the guy should get community service and a small fine, while the bullies should be charged with harassment.

MBTI
    ENTJ

This is why parents who want their kids to learn discipline should take them to the nearest Krav Maga clinic as soon as possible. Teaches them discipline, *and* self defense--more important that second part, just so the kid can dispatch bullies with ease.

Or heck, if the kid's outnumbered, the parent should follow him or her to school one day, track down the bullies, those little prepubescent punks, and personally wallop a few of them, whether verbally or physically, to set an example.

Things that happen to kids generally tend to leave lasting memories. If a prepubescent punk would get smashed in the head once, that'd probably teach them the best lesson for a long time.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Unfortunately, teachers are swayed by popularity too..

Or they close ranks and just lie. It happened to my son, who was being discriminated against BY THE TEACHERS. They quick fast got a solicitor who then went on to state that my son was the only witness and had an unreliable memory of what happened due to his dyslexia-shocking!
    Yes i could have taken it really far, yes i could have gone to the press, yes i could have done a lot of things.
    What i did do....
    I created a co-op of parents who were unhappy with the school and wrote a group letter of complaint addressing all the issues (there were many) and sent it to the board of govenors, head of individual progress, ofstead, head of education etc etc etc.
    It's a complicated story but i had to take my son out of the school, last i heard it was closing down.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I don't really know what I would have done in the situation, I guess. Probably just move.

Then again, that doesn't really fix the problem.

No idea.
    I think he did the right thing actually. Yes. I'm betting that the girl is not being bullied anymore and i highly doubt any of those kids are scarred for life. Was probably a good lesson for them all.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Kultainen Kuningas Devil Flamingo's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    LOL

BEST FUCKING FATHER OF ALL TIME

I approve of this; he didn't lose his cool, he got his cool on. There's a fucking difference. I'm no parent (and don't plan to be) but anyone messes with my little sister (she's 8 years old <3) and I'm gonna fucking waltz in that school with all the gayness of a pissed-off flamingo and I will fucking vociferate left and right until the fucker (girl or boy) stops harassing her and/or the fucking school does something about it, and any parents of bullies come at me and I'll fuck them up too.

I once was a bully (I prefer the term "troll" but I think some of the stuff I did would be considered bullying anyway, even though I wasn't terribly "active" as far as bullies go), and all I have to say to all you parents out there: DO LIKE THIS MAN AND LET THE FUCKERS KNOW THEY GONNA GET SOME IF THEY MESS WITH YOUR KID. I used to harass this one girl (who was actually my friend, but I took the teasing too far over the course of our friendship) and one day her grandma came up to me and told me my shit straight and since then I stopped harassing her and needless to say, attempting to become friends again was a nicht-nicht.

Trust me, you WANT to set the example for your kid; a lot of times, it is not enough for your kid to stand him or herself up, because bullies (or trolls, for that matter... honestly I wasn't the kind to shove kids into lockers; I just teased a lot... LIKE A FUCKING LOT, and I played a lot of pranks, and I was friends with actual bullies) can be relentless, and many a teacher are either blissfully unaware or don't care enough to do shit about it. And teachers themselves can be bullies; my brother was verbally abused by this one T.A. bitch during this one year, and eventually my mom and dad went to the school and told her shit up and made enough of a ruckus that the school almost fired her, but my parents were benevolent enough to allow them to relocate her to a different classroom provided that she'd not verbally abuse other kids or such.

So if the school is not doing their job, then make sure at least you are.

tl;dr When it comes to bullying, the best defense is a highly aggressive offense. Don't fight fire with fire; fight fire with muddy water.
    4w3 sx/so ·· ISFP (?) ·· rcu|E|n
    gryffindor-ravenclaw ·· chaotic neutral
    leo sun ·· scorpius moon ·· earth dragon

metsän ukko halliparta, metsän kultainen kuningas,
    ava nyt aittasi avara, luinen lukko lonkahuta!

MBTI
    INTP

It might have actually been a good thing he went kinda batshit, though, when I think about it. The bullies will probably be convinced he actually would mess them up if they tried anything again. They are probably not going to be calling anyone's bluff.

He may have scared a few of the other kids in the process, but I think if I were one of them, I'd just be glad someone was finally doing something about the bullies on the bus I was riding. Since the bus driver wasn't going to stop it.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    I think he did the right thing actually. Yes. I'm betting that the girl is not being bullied anymore and i highly doubt any of those kids are scarred for life. Was probably a good lesson for them all.
    Did his actions really achieve the optimal consequences? Seems like we can't really know this. Maybe the bullies now say "haha your daddy had to come save you because you're so pathetic". Or maybe not. Maybe the other kids on the bus are having nightmares about an adult losing it. I just think we really can't know exactly what the consequences of his actions were.

If you compare all the possible strategies he could have used, do you really think he picked the one with the highest EV? I don't think it's as easy to say as a lot of people here seem to think.

I may have done the same thing. I'm not judging the dad -- I really have no idea what I would do if I had a disabled child being bullied (it would be fucking horrible, I'm sure). I just don't know if this is how we want people in our society to solve problems.

It's at least up for question.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

"We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Yeah...I wouldn't agree with the message or the tactics. Much better ways to handle this kind of thing. The most likely outcome for this 11-year-old is that she's going to be bullied more and reminded of the time her dad went nuts and boarded a school bus and made an ass out of himself. He could have easily found out the names of the alleged bullies, called their parents and talked to them about it. Probably would've been more effective.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    Yeah...I wouldn't agree with the message or the tactics. Much better ways to handle this kind of thing. The most likely outcome for this 11-year-old is that she's going to be bullied more and reminded of the time her dad went nuts and boarded a school bus and made an ass out of himself. He could have easily found out the names of the alleged bullies, called their parents and talked to them about it. Probably would've been more effective.
    Or better still, bully the bullies' parents.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

I'd lose my cool too if someone bullied my special needs child in such a way over and over again on a bus school which is supposed to be sufficiently supervised. I bet those kids will reconsider their behavior now more than a 'sitting down' with their parents about playing nice.