User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Then the school wants to say they can't control what happens on the bus. We have compulsory education enforced by the state so I think they have a responsibility to keep my kids safe while they are in their care. What ends up happening is that the good kids are bullied off the bus and nothing happens to the bad kids. If a kid is bullying other kids, that is the child that should lose their bus privileges, not their victims. Their parents are the ones that should be going out of their way to get their kid to school -- maybe then they'd make the kid act right.
    Absolutely right. Too often, parents of bullies are not going to give a crap what their kid does until it directly affects them.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    screw that myopic mother.
    The mother really got to me. Of course, I wouldn't want anyone talking to my kid that way. But if you raise of piece of shit that'll pick on a disabled kid, they're gonna get yelled at at some point in time.

Maybe if she did yell at her kid like that, he wouldn't be such a sack of shit.

If I ever found out my baby sister had picked on a disabled kid, her life would have ended as she knew it from that moment on. it's disgusting, and to think of it as anything less just because you're defensive about the way your kid was talked to...

She's defensive and her kid isn't even disabled or the one being picked on. you'd think she'd be able to empathize with the father just a little.. but it's all about me, myself, and I.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I don't think that you can reason with bullies. Especially the type whose parents clearly aren't doling out any punishments at home. The only way to knock a bully down a few pegs is to give the same back to him. Not PC, but there you have it. The father shouldn't have used the language he did, but I certainly don't blame him for losing his cool on behalf of his disabled daughter. Clearly no one else was going to stop the bullying. Not the school, not the bus driver, and not the bullies' parents.
    The bully is lucky to live in our society. He is protected and was only subjected to verbal abuse. If this had happened in a different time or place, one where he didn't have the same protections, he might have been subjected to a beating (or worse).
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    The mother really got to me. Of course, I wouldn't want anyone talking to my kid that way. But if you raise of piece of shit that'll pick on a disabled kid, they're gonna get yelled at at some point in time.

Maybe if she did yell at her kid like that, he wouldn't be such a sack of shit.

If I ever found out my baby sister had picked on a disabled kid, her life would have ended as she knew it from that moment on. it's disgusting, and to think of it as anything less just because you're defensive about the way your kid was talked to...

She's defensive and her kid isn't even disabled or the one being picked on. you'd think she'd be able to empathize with the father just a little.. but it's all about me, myself, and I.
    I have found that bullies often learn they behaivour from their parents or environment. Frequently it's the parents (not always obviously) that are to blame, especially in cases of discrimination. Judging by her apparent lack of empathy for the bullied girl, i'd say the mother needs to be dealt with/educated.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The bully is lucky to live in our society. He is protected and was only subjected to verbal abuse. If this had happened in a different time or place, he might have been subjected to a beating (or worse).
    He knew how to pick his victim. If this girl had an older sibling, I'd bet he wouldn't go near her.

And that's the entire issue with bullying. These kids aren't just randomly picking someone to bully, they know who to do it too. They are taught at home by bullies and they come to school behaving as if this is normal. No amount of talking by school officials or grown ups to the kid bullies or the parents will ever work. They need real consequences -- ban them from the bus, make their parents pay for a babysitter in the classroom to keep Johnny in line. Have them pay fines for every hit/physical touch meant to harm. Make it HARD for parents to raise a bully.

The second day of school this year my daughter was hit by some little 6 year old on the playground. I have since watched this kid hit the teacher, teachers aides and other kids when I go into volunteer. No one can do anything b/c under school guidelines there has to be an injury before they can enforce punishments. So everyone just has to wait and take hits, kicks and scratches from him just because. Public school officials have to tolerate abuse b/c his parents think they are entitled to make everyone put up with this brats behavior.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

It's not like the "authorities" would have done anything. I saw bullying in action, and sometimes I was also apart of the bullying. Some of it was downright nasty and the "authorities" did nothing about it. I don't agree with the way he went about it, but I highly doubt those kids are traumatized. I even heard a few of them laughing in the background.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Cool. Sometimes you just have to take things into your own hands.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I'm okay with this. The only thing I'd hold against his actions are the possibility that he can't control the repercussions. Some people just respond to this kind of thing with escalation, and you can hope those bullies don't, especially since the school probably won't do anything.

It so happens that I observed just yesterday that behavior in school is treated in a curiously exceptional way. Perhaps because it centers on kids or at least minors, it often seems to me like the law simply doesn't apply. It's rather disgusting what bullies get away with. In many cases they are things that wouldn't be so easy from one adult to another.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

I feel really sad for this girl, especially since she's handicapped. It's kind of touching that her father stuck up for her. The only problem is that he chose a way that only escalates this type of behaviour. And the innocent children who had to experience his behaviour, didn't deserve it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Just because it gets the desired effect doesn't mean it was a good action to take.
    Well...I'm sorry but I generally do reason this way. Of course "desired effect" includes "not harming any other kid" etc.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp