User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    If I had a kid who was being bullied on the bus, I'd take them to school myself. Especially under those circumstances. If there were condoms being thrown around, those kids would already have heard language worse than that, I guarantee it.
    You think using words they haven't heard is the reason screaming at 12 year olds isn't cool?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    If that was the only way to prevent your kid's suicide, I'd agree with you.

In fact, if you thought about it for a sec, doesn't this make the girl more likely to get shit at school -- "you're so pathetic you had to have your daddy fight some 12 year olds!"
    My experiece tells me it ain't so. Kids would probably be too scared.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    My experiece tells me it ain't so. Kids would probably be too scared.
    Just because it gets the desired effect doesn't mean it was a good action to take.

This is like results-based-thinking in poker. "I was totally right to call that guy's AA with my 27, see!!!! I hit trip 2s!!!!!"

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Just because it gets the desired effect doesn't mean it was a good action to take.

This is like results-based-thinking in poker. "I was totally right to call that guy's AA with my 27, see!!!! I hit trip 2s!!!!!"
    It's probably the only action the father saw to take that would actually work.

Sure, give him community service or something.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Being one that's worked in the American school systems, and having a father that drives a school bus, we're all limited to the point where we cannot stop, prevent, or control bullying. We. Can. Not. It costs us our jobs, every. single. time. It's why I stopped substituting, and why I cannot and never will be a teacher. I cannot control my morals when it comes to that. I cannot stand idle and watch something like that.

The schools don't do shit about this, tie our hands behind our backs, and then wonder why parents try to take matters into their own hands.

I've gotten onto a bus before to yell at children as well on behalf of my baby sister.. but I didn't threaten them. I asked for their names, and their parent's names and numbers, and I said that I was not leaving until I had those things because I was scared for my baby sister's life. The fiasco diffused when the bus driver allowed me to ride to the school and go with him to talk to the faculty, but nothing was ever really done about it.

I don't blame him at all. I don't think his choice of words were inappropriate at all.

If you fuck with someone's daughter, especially someone disabled, you're going to get your shit wrecked one way or another. My father never would have thought twice about going to jail to protect my ass... and I don't think twice about it either.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Right on, I completely support the actions of the father, he is a truely noble man for defending his daughter. And even though his methods seemed brutish and aggresive, I think that's perfectly ok, for if I had a kid who was being taunted by bullies I would have done the same thing as the father did. In no way should this hero be punished with "disorderly conduct", he was doing what any passionate human would.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't think that you can reason with bullies. Especially the type whose parents clearly aren't doling out any punishments at home. The only way to knock a bully down a few pegs is to give the same back to him. Not PC, but there you have it. The father shouldn't have used the language he did, but I certainly don't blame him for losing his cool on behalf of his disabled daughter. Clearly no one else was going to stop the bullying. Not the school, not the bus driver, and not the bullies' parents.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

It's not the best way to deal with it by any means. However, sometimes the school just won't address the issue. I've had kids in public school for six years and I don't think my kids have gone through too much of that stuff, but I know of other kids who do go through it for years.

There is a girl on my fifth grader's bus that has been getting teased for years. My son told me they were saying she had Amber Germs and that she had head lice and that she washes her hair with dog shampoo. He came home upset about how she was being bullied. When I called the school about it, they brushed me off and tried to blame the girl for it.

Then the school wants to say they can't control what happens on the bus. We have compulsory education enforced by the state so I think they have a responsibility to keep my kids safe while they are in their care. What ends up happening is that the good kids are bullied off the bus and nothing happens to the bad kids. If a kid is bullying other kids, that is the child that should lose their bus privileges, not their victims. Their parents are the ones that should be going out of their way to get their kid to school -- maybe then they'd make the kid act right.

Also, if the girl in the news story has cerebral palsy, she should have been provided alternative transportation (the short bus), but sometimes the school doesn't provide information to parents about the services their children qualify for.

I would take my kids to school myself if they were having those kinds of problems, but not every family has the means to do that and they have a *right* to be on that bus unharassed as part of their right to an education.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

I fully approve of what this man did (with the exception of threatening the bus driver) and I also fully approve of him being punished. It's the cost of doing business to take care of your family in a world full of evil, punk-ass kids. Screw them and screw that myopic mother.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    If I had a kid who was being bullied on the bus, I'd take them to school myself. Especially under those circumstances. If there were condoms being thrown around, those kids would already have heard language worse than that, I guarantee it.
    I think the point is that the girl hasnt done anything wrong, and yet it's the parents that are stuck with the extra duties while bullies go unaddressed. Taking her to school everyday won't stop the bullying in school itself either. The bus is just one piece. So what then? You'd take your kid out of school entirely??
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge