User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 13

  1. #1
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default School Bans Social Media for 1 Week

    HARRISBURG, Pa. – A central Pennsylvania technological college with fewer students than many Facebook users have friends is blacking out social media for a week.

    The bold experiment at Harrisburg University of Science and Technology — which has drawn praise, criticism and even a jab on late-night TV — means students and staff can't access Facebook, Twitter or a host of other ubiquitous social networks while on campus.

    Provost Eric Darr said the exercise that began Monday is not a punishment for the school's 800 students, nor a precursor to a ban, but a way for people to think critically about the prevalence of social media....

    A week without Facebook? Pa. college tries it out - Yahoo! News
    It caught my eye more because I lived really close to the school for two years (so I know exactly where it is), but it's intriguing to see the responses in any case.

    One complaint has been that students do use social media to set up real-life connection/communication (as part of staying in touch for projects for example), so banning it can disrupt actual efficiencies and productivity.

    A complaint from the other side is that social media becomes controlling; if you stop investing, you "disappear" socially. (Which is very intriguing, although I'm not sure that this doesn't happen in real-life socializing too. FB is essentially in part a socializing platform for introverts without much investment in RL social gatherings.)

    Thoughts? Feelings? Springboards?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  2. #2
    Senior Member ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    7,233

    Default

    Awesome! I support this possibly illegal infringement on students' rights!

  3. #3
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    I think they should step it up next week and collect mobile phones too. Week after that, curfew.

    I am personally somewhat against facebook, but this ban is ridiculous... I don't remember mobile phones getting so negative feedback from the authorities.

  4. #4
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,025

    Default

    Observations:
    • Funny that a University of Science and Technology is banning websites.
    • I would support it. The worst offender of social networking is Twitter. Too much information about too little that matters.
    • And yet, bans like this bother me since personal rights shouldn't be restricted if at all possible.

    But this too was funny:
    The university has created course work around the ban, and some students will write essays about their experience. Comedian Jimmy Fallon joked in Monday's late-night monologue that he knows the title of those essays: "We All Have Smart Phones, Dumbass."

  5. #5
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    The problem with banning Facebook is that 1% of the stuff people do on it is actually productive, so they'll complain about not being allowed to do that 1%, but it's the other 99% that they really care about.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  6. #6
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The problem with banning Facebook is that 1% of the stuff people do on it is actually productive, so they'll complain about not being allowed to do that 1%, but it's the other 99% that they really care about.
    sort of like the "you can make rope out of it" argument for legalizing pot?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  7. #7
    Senior Member ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    7,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    sort of like the "you can make rope out of it" argument for legalizing pot?
    Exactly. Preposterous. Have you ever tried smoking a rope? It's nearly impossible.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    sort of like the "you can make rope out of it" argument for legalizing pot?
    That's a pretty good comparison, except I think you can actually make a stronger argument in favor of legalizing pot than Facebook.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  9. #9
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    That's a pretty good comparison, except I think you can actually make a stronger argument in favor of legalizing pot than Facebook.
    I'm in favor of legalizing pot but not because "you can make rope out of it." I sort of think Facebook has no place in school. Call me old fashioned- they're not banning it at home, right? This doesn't seem too radical to me.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  10. #10
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Oh- I somehow missed that this is a technical college. I was thinking it was a high school. I guess that makes a tiny bit of difference. But still, not being able to Facebook on campus doesn't seem like much of a hardship.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 61
    Last Post: 07-07-2016, 09:27 AM
  2. Personality Types and Social Media
    By Outlaw No. 451 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-24-2011, 10:46 AM
  3. Social Media Flash Mobs Becoming Flash Robs Across The U.S.
    By iwakar in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-19-2011, 02:48 AM
  4. I'm gone for three weeks...
    By Matthew_Z in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-17-2010, 06:23 AM
  5. Oregon gov. tries foodstamps for a week
    By rivercrow in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-11-2007, 10:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO