User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Kephalos View Post
    I think the language used in the first post is misleading. On an individual level a man could be considered part of the minority for some purposes and a majority for others: a Black man can be a member of a minoritary racial group, but he may belong to a majoritarian political group like the Democratic Party and finally be part of a minority for having studied at X University. So where does that leave him? Minority or Majority? Suppose that the Democratic Party imposes a tax on graduates of X University: have his rights been trumped or has he exercised his majority power, or both, or neither?
    Its not misleading, in each of the instances you've mentioned there are minority-majority relations in play or at work.

Individuals live a life in groups and as members of groups and accordingly will experience minority-majority relations because they are at one time able to identify with a majority and at another a minority does not invalidate the point that they experience minority-majority relations.

Perhaps if consciousness of being at one time a minority and at another a majority informs their expectations of both minorities and majorities in their relations with one another is could be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by angell_m View Post
    I just read the thread title, and I'm saying right now, I'm a part of the minority! Now, let's go back and read what this thread is all about.

Edited: I'm too stupid to understand what this thread is about, I'm leaving.
    Why did you want to be part of the minority? Why did you want to state you where part of the minority before you had any greater an understanding of the topic of the thread?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What obligations to minorities owe to majorities? Is it as important as the obligations which majorities may owe minorities by virtue of the power disparity between them based upon numbers? Do members of majority groups feel a need to identify or defend minorities purely by virtue of a minorities numbers and hence vulnerability or is it something else?

I've been thinking about this lately because I've been thinking about democracy and also social conscience, a lot of what I consider key political questions relate to minority-majority relations and the power relations which are consequent.
    Minorities do not owe to majorities.
    Majorities owe to minorities.
    Balance is an even hand.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Minorities do not owe to majorities.
    Majorities owe to minorities.
    Balance is an even hand.
    Why is this so?

MBTI
    INTP

Why is this so?
    Jewels are all stones. Not all stones are jewels.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Jewels are all stones. Not all stones are jewels.
    All minorities are jewels and all majorities stones?

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

All minorities are jewels and all majorities stones?
    Not really. Consider this: If the word was made of solid gemstone, and a few rocks were embedded in the gemstone, which should we then treasure, rock or gemstone? And how should we know what to call them?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INFP

the most important minority, the individual.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Well the second part was what I was thinking about, although I do think that often majorities get alienated from their rights or identity and instead identify with a minority, sometimes a minority which doesnt reflect well what they imagine they are identifying with.

There's passages in Orwell about this and his disillusionment, in direct dealings, with the down and outs he professed an abstract and political affinity with. That's something I've experienced too.

The degeneration of democracies into tyrannies of majority I think says something about the failings of democracy or its curtailment and how prepared people are to engage with political democracy (or any other sort) anyway.

Its funny that in democracies majorities often support legislation or candidates which mean they are actually voting directly against their interest, sometimes the candidates are very clear about too but they still win the votes.
    Depends on what you mean by "interest." Who is more in your personal interest: a politician whose policies would benefit you economically or socially in some way, or a politician whose ideology dovetails with your own and will enact laws that will make the city/state/country government closer to your personal vision of what it should be? I would say the latter. That is why an argument I hear from the left (usually) is fallacious; "the working class in America votes against their interests!" Really? Because another party promises more entitlements/lower tax burden/economic redistribution to the working class? Did you ever stop to think that maybe these people don't WANT that, and that is why they vote elsewhere?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    the most important minority, the individual.
    I know a lot of worthless individuals.