User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Default Errm what about freedom of speech?

FOXNews.com - British Teen Banned From U.S. for Life After Sending Obscene E-Mail to Obama

What were we saying about Islamics having to take the rough with the smooth? Shouldn't the big pres be doing likewise?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP

Something something not a citizen something something. But I can totally see Obama hearing about this and apologizing to this kid for such rash actions by the FBI.

MBTI
    intp

Where is his freedom to speak restricted?
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by INA View Post
    Where is his freedom to speak restricted?
    By that logic, putting people in jail wouldn't restrict their ability to speak either. If the public is taught that expressing certain opinions will have a drastic effect on their civic freedom, you can expect that people won't be expressing those opinions readily, the so called "chilling effect" on speech.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    By that logic, putting people in jail wouldn't restrict their ability to speak either.
    By what logic?

If the public is taught that expressing certain opinions will have a drastic effect on their civic freedom, you can expect that people won't be expressing those opinions readily, the so called "chilling effect" on speech.
    The public is not taught this already?
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Freedom of Speech is more or less a government privlege at times, where you can say want you want until you say something offensive concerning the government your punished for excersing your right to say want you want. Honestly it disgusts me to no end when governments abuse their power over trivial insults that only a child would become angry over; in no way shape or form should that teen be banned from the U.S., it is a cruel and authoritarian like punishment.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by INA View Post
    By what logic?

The public is not taught this already?
    Faulty logic.

I hate this sort of shrill, screaming freedom of speech talk, its not really about freedom, its about trying to suspend or abolish consequences and will indeed appeal the most to the age group which has yet to develop consequential thinking.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

The government always has, and always will be, arbitrary and wishy-washy on their opinion on the freedom of speech. The various supreme court cases that directly conflict one another on this matter will probably never be solved.

But like the post above described, the freedom of speech is in the constitution only because people should be able to express themselves in America without punishment or the fear of retaliation. That's the entire point of it being there.

I get what the other post was implying though. Freedom of speech isn't a catch-all thing. You cannot display racism and hate in the workplace, whether you harbor these things or not. You cannot call a bomb threat or a fire threat in a theater full of people. It's a difficult thing to balance the right to speak with other people's rights to exist and be in America as well, so outside of extreme situations like the ones posted above, it's gray and foggy what the government's stance is. There's just too many variables.

As far as the OP itself.. A lot of people have said worse, over the internet, on the television, and in person, about the president. People are very open about this disapproval of him, and the range of insults is wide. To ban everyone that insults the president.... I think the boy is within his rights as to the policies of our country, absolutely and without a doubt. This article made me want to email the president out of curiosity to see if I, too, would be permanently banned from America for calling him a prick.

To even think "well he's not a citizen.." is a dangerous road. Why even honor the Geneva convention then? None of those other country people are Americans, so why bother giving them the basic rights we are promised? It's a ridiculous mentality.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    Freedom of Speech is more or less a government privlege at times, where you can say want you want until you say something offensive concerning the government your punished for excersing your right to say want you want. Honestly it disgusts me to no end when governments abuse their power over trivial insults that only a child would become angry over; in no way shape or form should that teen be banned from the U.S., it is a cruel and authoritarian like punishment.
    You are kidding me!

Listen, if someone was e-mailing me obscene images I would consider a non-molestation order or exclusion order, in the US you might call it a restraining order and I see this as being just the equivalent of that action.

I think that it could be a very good lesson that speech may be free but still not without consequences, his freedom of speech is totally uneffected, he is not being prevented from exercising it but if he does he can expect it to have consequences and it has.

This really shouldnt be difficult, it shouldnt be the stuff of politics either, it should be rudimentary parenting, perhaps manners at the very most but its not a freedom of speech issue.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Why do 17 year olds in the UK have such drinking problems?