User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

It is.

But I'm betting money that this drunk kid did more than call Obama a prick. Even beyond that, without a copy of what was said, it's kind of a moot point to even argue whether or not he shouldn't be welcome in the U.S.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I can't believe someone made me read FoxNews in order to post here. I need a shower.

They were quoting the Sun, a Brit tabloid/rag... so we're already veering into gray territory.
    But the Sun article says:

A Beds Police spokesman said: "The individual sent an email to the White House full of abusive and threatening language. We were informed by the Metropolitan Police and went to see him. He said, 'Oh dear, it was me'."
    Abusive and threatening mail to the President? Nice. Like Hap says, please don't joke about the word 'bomb' at the airport either, unless you're an idiot. That's not a "free speech" issue either.

Quoted there and in the Daily News (NY) article:

The U.S. Customs & Border Protection agency, which is part of the Department of Homeland Security and is in charge of enforcing immigration law, said it "would not discuss" specific cases. A spokeswoman, however, did tell the Daily News that "there are a variety of reasons why a person could be banned from entering the United States."

She noted that, through the Immigration and Naturalization Act, there are more than 60 reasons a person could be denied entry. Among them are health concerns, immigration violations, as well as security concerns.
    Lots of reasons for people to be banned. Considering all the potential threats to the President, and realizing you only have to eff' up once in order to get a dead President, I don't see it as unwarranted to lock down people who have expressed an actual threat. There are lots of ways someone could have utilized free speech that would not have resulted in this outcome; and there is some responsibility on the part of the teen here (who is practically legal at his age) to monitor his own behavior.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

A Beds Police spokesman said: "The individual sent an email to the White House full of abusive and threatening language. We were informed by the Metropolitan Police and went to see him. He said, 'Oh dear, it was me'."
    "Oh dear"?

Really?

MBTI
    INTJ

Has anyone thought that the kid might never have wanted to come to the US anyway?
    I'm sure he can live quite a happy life on his side of the Atlantic.

Of course, human nature being what it is...
    nothing makes you want something so much as being forbidden to have it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I can't believe someone made me read FoxNews in order to post here. I need a shower.

They were quoting the Sun, a Brit tabloid/rag... so we're already veering into gray territory.
    But the Sun article says:

Abusive and threatening mail to the President? Nice. Like Hap says, please don't joke about the word 'bomb' at the airport either, unless you're an idiot. That's not a "free speech" issue either.

Quoted there and in the Daily News (NY) article:

Lots of reasons for people to be banned. Considering all the potential threats to the President, and realizing you only have to eff' up once in order to get a dead President, I don't see it as unwarranted to lock down people who have expressed an actual threat. There are lots of ways someone could have utilized free speech that would not have resulted in this outcome; and there is some responsibility on the part of the teen here (who is practically legal at his age) to monitor his own behavior.
    I think you just made a case for a police state.

The security of a country does not come before freedom to speak your mind in most "developed" countries.

Even saying "bomb" in an airport is only perhaps a reason to be monitored closely. To then leap on the person and bear them away to be interrogated for hours is a knee jerk over-reaction. Why? Because what kind of idiot plans to bomb an aircraft or airport and is still planning it and discussing it when they get there? The probabilities just don't back up that kind of over reaction.

Let's face it, if you want to go down this route then you can never discuss any criminal activity anywhere... because you might be talking about doing it the police have the power to take you away for questioning just because you mentioned the word "steal". That IS a police state. Oh and it has nothing to do with what happens to you eventually, the whole jumping on you is enough. Anything after that is just reinforcing the point.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I think you just made a case for a police state.

The security of a country does not come before freedom to speak your mind in most "developed" countries.

Even saying "bomb" in an airport is only perhaps a reason to be monitored closely. To then leap on the person and bear them away to be interrogated for hours is a knee jerk over-reaction. Why? Because what kind of idiot plans to bomb an aircraft or airport and is still planning it and discussing it when they get there? The probabilities just don't back up that kind of over reaction.

Let's face it, if you want to go down this route then you can never discuss any criminal activity anywhere... because you might be talking about doing it the police have the power to take you away for questioning just because you mentioned the word "steal". That IS a police state. Oh and it has nothing to do with what happens to you eventually, the whole jumping on you is enough. Anything after that is just reinforcing the point.
    I can't wait to go to the U.K. and scream "FIRE!" in crowded theaters!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I can't wait to go to the U.K. and scream "FIRE!" in crowded theaters!
    Wouldn't work. You'll probably find a bunch of people looking at you like you'd just done the "Why did the chicken cross the road" joke like it was new or something.

You would probably be asked to leave but shout anything in a theatre and that's likely to happen. It's just not cricket!

MBTI
    ENFJ

I can't wait to go to a crowded theater in the UK an say I have a bomb under my seat
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I can't wait to go to a crowded theater in the UK an say I have a bomb under my seat
    The common response is "SHHH!!!".

We're just not the excitable types. You'd have to say the kettle didn't work or something to induce panic, cept we're British so we'd just boil the water in a pan or find some other means.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    The common response is "SHHH!!!".

We're just not the excitable types. You'd have to say the kettle didn't work or something to induce panic, cept we're British so we'd just boil the water in a pan or find some other means.
    Aww, I guess I'll just have to put a bomb under someone else's seat, then
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge