User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Probably the whole thing with being intoxicated and writing stuff about conspiracy theories and the Illuminati made him look mentally unstable and possibly dangerous. It's usually the delusional people that actually make attempts on famous people and occasionally succeed.

I can't remember the details, but I think a guy in my husband's tiny Kansas hometown was shooting his mouth off in a local bar years ago about killing the president and ended up getting a visit from the Secret Service. He must have ticked somebody off enough to report it, but they take virtually every threat made against the president seriously from what I've heard.

No sense of humor, those guys.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    No sense of humor, those guys.
    Well the pope gets a bomb proof car and he's like favoured by God. Imagine how naked the president feels, half his "subjects" aren't that convinced about him!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Shouting bomb in an airport doesn't get you shot. Oddly it will get you arrested but only if people believe you... Which is weird.

But to ban someone, to restrict their movement based on calling someone a prick? That's just massaging an ego with power. Very lame, very weak.
    Actually we have no idea what's in the letter. Every news story I've seen on the matter says that the kid only remembers calling Obama a prick, but that he was too drunk to remember the rest, and the US government isn't releasing the letter. Really, anything could have been in it, from "I'm going to fucking kill you prick" or "You're a prick and I want to pick daisies with you".

Not having the actual letter here to look at makes it very difficult to analyze the situation.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Actually we have no idea what's in the letter. Every news story I've seen on the matter says that the kid only remembers calling Obama a prick, but that he was too drunk to remember the rest, and the US government isn't releasing the letter. Really, anything could have been in it, from "I'm going to fucking kill you prick" or "You're a prick and I want to pick daisies with you".

Not having the actual letter here to look at makes it very difficult to analyze the situation.
    The letter was from a young guy in the UK with no prior and no reason to take seriously. Hence the police have done nothing. It's another knee jerk over reaction.

MBTI
    ENFJ

The letter was from a young guy in the UK with no prior and no reason to take seriously. Hence the police have done nothing. It's another knee jerk over reaction.
    All sorts of shit has to be done for people who make stupid threats in the US. It might be preemptive action so he does not waste their time and resources. Save the taxpayer a little money.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    All sorts of shit has to be done for people who make stupid threats in the US. It might be preemptive action so he does not waste their time and resources. Save the taxpayer a little money.
    I'm sure the correct term there would be 'is chosen'. No one is making them check they took it upon themselves to prevent the one in probably five thousand. However at first glance at the report they'd have on who sent it should have told them to halt the process right there.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

he's a black, democratic president with a muslim name
    all threats should be taken seriously
    i doubt 'prick' is the only insult in the letter
    though, banning him forever is a bit much

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its not the same.
    That's my point.

No. You couldnt.
    Couldn't put them in prison or couldn't -- what kind of lazy reply is this? A litlle more effort, please.

Yes. What would rudimentary parental training involve re:sending obscene images to foreign heads of state?
    I'm not sure what you're asking. A parent would restrict the child's speech, which is why this is a free speech issue, not just one of "consequences." Your dichotomy doesn't make any sense.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by INA View Post
    yes.

Was he deported?
    I have no clue, but I assumed he was.

Do you know what exactly he said?
    Something about Obama being terrible at free throws. (No clue.)

There is freedom of speech and there is freedom from all consequences of any kind of speech. I should hope most realize there is no such thing as absolute freedom of speech as in freedom from all consequence of speech.
    Of course.

But you can't have responded to my logic, since I haven't given one. I asked an as yet unanswered question about an assertion that was based on some information I'm yet to see.
    You were making the point that his freedom of speech hasn't been restricted since he's still able to speak, just from somewhere else. Amirite? Whether or not it happened, you're making a point and using some logic. Unless I'm misunderstanding, but I don't think I am.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I think it's more CYA behavior. Nobody wants to be the one who didn't take a serious threat seriously and have something bad happen on their watch.

It's why our schools are locked down like prisons with 'zero tolerance' policies.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers