User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    How much respect does the head of a pseudo country set up by a dictator who's currently linked to cases of abuse and has offended multiple sections of the international community deserve? I'm sorry but fancy robes and mythology aside he's got little to recommend him and to top it off he's visiting the country which rejected the religion years ago.

It's not exactly the recipe one would choose for a respectful visit.

Next time send us the Dali Lama. He's funny as hell.
    Hmm, yeah, you could respect the institution if not the man as I do presently or you could simply practice the golden rule and treat others as you would have them treat you rather than as others have treated you.

To be honest its nothing to do with fancy robes and mythology, neither is it anything to do with the country's historic rejection of the RCC, so far as the issue of the origin of the state which the Pope is a figure head of which dictator do you mean? Perhaps you mean the kings and principalities of Europe, including the UK?

So far as the issue of child abuse and its links to the RCC church, out of respect for the victims I'm no longer engaging with the secularists who seek to exploit, capitalise and use their suffering to advance their goals of attacking enduring institutions of value which make up the RCC.

In the end up when people use occasions such as this one to attack the RCC and its represenatives as undeserving of respect they are forgetting that this behaviour says more about they themselves than anything else.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    teat others
    Let's not turn this into yet another boob thread.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Hmm, yeah, you could respect the institution if not the man
    I respect neither. Why should we respect an institution we fought so hard to be rid of for so long? I'm not going to go around burning effigies of the guy, but I certainly am not going to forced into respecting him just because millions of others think he's God's representative on earth. I think they're deluded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    I respect neither. Why should we respect an institution we fought so hard to be rid of for so long? I'm not going to go around burning effigies of the guy, but I certainly am not going to forced into respecting him just because millions of others think he's God's representative on earth. I think they're deluded.
    I think the millions of Chinese nationals who have to answer to Hu Juntao are also deluded, but if he were to come to the US to visit I would still expect that he would be treated with the diplomatic courtesy normally granted a foreign head of state.

Remember, that's what the OP was about...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Hmm, yeah, you could respect the institution if not the man as I do presently or you could simply practice the golden rule and teat others as you would have them treat you rather than as others have treated you.
    Sorry the institution promotes and coddles institutionalised thinking which is anathema to me.
    To be honest its nothing to do with fancy robes and mythology, neither is it anything to do with the country's historic rejection of the RCC, so far as the issue of the origin of the state which the Pope is a figure head of which dictator do you mean? Perhaps you mean the kings and principalities of Europe, including the UK?
    Sorry Dictator was the wrong word. I was referring to Benito Mussolini.
    So far as the issue of child abuse and its links to the RCC church, out of respect for the victims I'm no longer engaging with the secularists who seek to exploit, capitalise and use their suffering to advance their goals of attacking enduring institutions of value which make up the RCC.
    I'm sorry is it an institution, a group of people or each individual personally or the embodiment of God? There's evidence linking it to institutionalised abuse, it should be held to account for it, doubly so considering it's position of responsibility and trust.
    In the end up when people use occasions such as this one to attack the RCC and its represenatives as undeserving of respect they are forgetting that this behaviour says more about they themselves than anything else.
    I am respectful of all I meet, I however have no respect for those who rest upon the laurels moisturised by others sweat. I'm funny that way.

Hence I have respect for those of faith but none for any church or religion.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Retuning to the OP

Shouldn't we be call this the PayPal visit by now?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Sorry the institution promotes and coddles institutionalised thinking which is anathema to me.

Sorry Dictator was the wrong word. I was referring to Benito Mussolini.

I'm sorry is it an institution, a group of people or each individual personally or the embodiment of God? There's evidence linking it to institutionalised abuse, it should be held to account for it, doubly so considering it's position of responsibility and trust.

I am respectful of all I meet, I however have no respect for those who rest upon the laurels moisturised by others sweat. I'm funny that way.

Hence I have respect for those of faith but none for any church or religion.
    I can tell you that as a consequence of your posts in this thread I have NO respect for you whatsoever. Think on this.

You're a stranger to me and generally I'm neutral about strangers. You earned your current status. Well done.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I can tell you that as a consequence of your posts in this thread I have NO respect for you whatsoever. Think on this.

You're a stranger to me and generally I'm neutral about strangers. You earned your current status. Well done.
    So you came around to my way of thinking... interesting.

Either one of us could be a screaming moron or a deity of modern thought... who decides and how can we tell over the internet?

Your judgements are your own. That's my response to the thinking time.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

How much respect does the head of a pseudo country set up by a dictator who's currently linked to cases of abuse and has offended multiple sections of the international community deserve? I'm sorry but fancy robes and mythology aside he's got little to recommend him and to top it off he's visiting the country which rejected the religion years ago.

It's not exactly the recipe one would choose for a respectful visit.

Next time send us the Dali Lama. He's funny as hell.
    Interesting notion you have there of "respect" equating to "figure of fun". I don't think many people would see it in those terms though.

Incidentally, in your generalisation of the country itself having rejected the faith, you seem remarkably dismissive of the beliefs of the minority who did not, and the struggle they endured for equality and freedom from majority persecution for their beliefs in the centuries following. With some of the dismissive attitudes being expressed in this thread, I'm not so sure that struggle is entirely over. Mocking the Papacy and Catholic ritual to target Catholics themselves in Protestant majority countries is nothing new, it just seems now to be wearing a secular guise in place of the religious one it did for so long. This does not make it any less truimphalist or distasteful.

Even acknowledging the Pope's status as a world leader, why should he be exempt from the personal scrutiny other world leaders are subject to? This pope is different from the last pope and is likely to issue different edicts based on those differences.
    Was anyone (including the practicing Catholics posting) actually arguing that he shouldn't be subject to scrutiny? I haven't seen that said.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    So does that mean you have no respect for Catholics themselves either, just to be clear? I also refer you to my earlier point about their long-standing status as a persecuted minority in the UK.

Hmm, yeah, you could respect the institution if not the man as I do presently or you could simply practice the golden rule and teat others as you would have them treat you rather than as others have treated you.
    Transference is more fun than obejective philosophical detachment though.

I suspect that only the most dogmatic or simple-minded Catholics are entirely free from the conviction that the church and its institutions currently need to put their own house in order over some of the recent events. They haven't done so yet in my view and have shown themselves reluctant to make the kind of changes that will lay justified criticism to rest, but I believe that actual Catholics themselves are in a better position to decide what form this change ought to take. The use of these issues to target the church, its believers, and its institutions as a whole seems like a mixture of opportunism and prejudice to me.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I think the millions of Chinese nationals who have to answer to Hu Juntao are also deluded, but if he were to come to the US to visit I would still expect that he would be treated with the diplomatic courtesy normally granted a foreign head of state.

Remember, that's what the OP was about...
    No. It's about who ought to pay. If 80% of the population say no, that should count in a (so-called) democracy.
    Retuning to the OP

Shouldn't we be call this the PayPal visit by now?
    *groan*
    IYou're a stranger to me and generally I'm neutral about strangers. You earned your current status. Well done.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it - Lark has everyone else in the thread on ignore. Pretty soon he'll have to start talking to himself.
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.