User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    So does that mean you have no respect for Catholics themselves either, just to be clear? I also refer you to my earlier point about their long-standing status as a persecuted minority in the UK.
    Just to be clear. No it doesn't.
    I can have zero respect for someone's religious/political/other beliefs and still respect their rights as individuals.
    I'm awesome like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Just to be clear. No it doesn't.
    I can have zero respect for someone's religious/political/other beliefs and still respect their rights as individuals.
    I'm awesome like that.
    /equivocal
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Was anyone (including the practicing Catholics posting) actually arguing that he shouldn't be subject to scrutiny? I haven't seen that said.
    Perhaps I misunderstood Peguy's remarks about how Magic was wrong in making distinctions between the current pope and former popes, because they're all in the succession of popes following Peter.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Oberon

No. It's about who ought to pay. If 80% of the population say no, that should count in a (so-called) democracy.
    Doesn't "normal diplomatic courtesy" include not presenting a bill for room and board? Why is it even a question?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

/equivocal
    /disingenuous

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Interesting notion you have there of "respect" equating to "figure of fun". I don't think many people would see it in those terms though.
    From what I recall the guy has a good sense of humour. You interpret me with prejudice and call me on the same. I'm just currently coming at this with the idea that perfect behaviour is unattainable. I can only therefore recommend a thicker skin.... or beer. Beer usually works.
    Incidentally, in your generalisation of the country itself having rejected the faith, you seem remarkably dismissive of the beliefs of the minority who did not, and the struggle they endured for equality and freedom from majority persecution for their beliefs in the centuries following. With some of the dismissive attitudes being expressed in this thread, I'm not so sure that struggle is entirely over. Mocking the Papacy and Catholic ritual to target Catholics themselves in Protestant majority countries is nothing new, it just seems now to be wearing a secular guise in place of the religious one it did for so long. This does not make it any less truimphalist or distasteful.
    Boring. You're trying to use a decision to be in one camp or another as a meal ticket. There's no meal ticket for roleplayers and we're a minority. Quit whining.
    Was anyone (including the practicing Catholics posting) actually arguing that he shouldn't be subject to scrutiny? I haven't seen that said.
    Yes. The lawyers in priestly robes are arguing some form of diplomatic immunity which is afforded to all leaders of state.
    Transference is more fun than obejective philosophical detachment though.
    Yeah yeah and projection is nine tenths of the law, that route holds no answers just name calling.
    I suspect that only the most dogmatic or simple-minded Catholics are entirely free from the conviction that the church and its institutions currently need to put their own house in order over some of the recent events. They haven't done so yet in my view and have shown themselves reluctant to make the kind of changes that will lay justified criticism to rest, but I believe that actual Catholics themselves are in a better position to decide what form this change ought to take. The use of these issues to target the church, its believers, and its institutions as a whole seems like a mixture of opportunism and prejudice to me.
    I'm sorry, you're constituent members of that organisation (I'm guessing you are but the public universal you too, yeah you at the back in the hoodie). If you do not take action then are you not complicit?

Oh and as a note I don't hate religion, I'm agnostic. I think your beliefs are irrelevant and hence I'm not grouping people on which religion they have.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    So you came around to my way of thinking... interesting.

Either one of us could be a screaming moron or a deity of modern thought... who decides and how can we tell over the internet?

Your judgements are your own. That's my response to the thinking time.
    This is just bizarre, equally I could only conclude that I'd come around to your way of thinking if I saw some evidence of thinking. All I can see someone trying very hard to be humourous and so far failing.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This is just bizarre, equally I could only conclude that I'd come around to your way of thinking if I saw some evidence of thinking. All I can see someone trying very hard to be humourous and so far failing.
    Offending you was not the intention but if you don't wish to engage with the thinking I posted then don't.

Oh and you try cracking a joke with this crowd. It's hard!!!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Doesn't "normal diplomatic courtesy" include not presenting a bill for room and board? Why is it even a question?
    Because he supports pedophiles and holocaust deniers (amongst other things like lying about the efficacy of prophylactics and their use in preventing AIDS) which most people in this country hold to be contemptible.

Call us puritanical...

Not to register dissent would represent implicit acceptance of those values.

Actually, a lot of people complained when Dubbya visited too, IIRC...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Because he supports pedophiles and holocaust deniers (amongst other things like lying about the efficacy of prophylactics and their use in preventing AIDS) which most people in this country hold to be contemptible.

Call us puritanical...

Not to register dissent would represent implicit acceptance of those values.

Actually, a lot of people complained when Dubbya visited too, IIRC...
    A lot of us over on this side of the pond complained when he visited Washington for 8 years, too.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii