User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 221

  1. #11
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil Flamingo View Post
    This is correct.
    I think that's pretty heartless for an NF to say. Even when I see things happening in Haiti or Japan or Russia, I don't laugh about it or think no one cares.

  2. #12
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I think that's pretty heartless for an NF to say. Even when I see things happening in Haiti or Japan or Russia, I don't laugh about it or think no one cares.
    NFs are just as heartless as anyone else.

  3. #13
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Alot of those events in Asia, Haiti, etc got plenty of attention within American media, and plenty of aid was organized to help victims. To claim that nobody cared is simply not true.

  4. #14
    Kultainen Kuningas Devil Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    LOL
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Well, as an ENFP, I feel that I have but two options when it comes to caring about others:

    1) detach yourself from people who aren't family/friends/loved ones and/or you don't know, and resign yourself to the fact you can't do anything to help these people, so ignore their misery, or laugh it off (better than cry it off)

    2) accept that if you don't forcefully detach yourself, you're will basically care about everyone in the world, even though there's billions of people, and you only have one heart. Next step is become wandering do-gooder, start in Canada and work your way down to Chile and Argentina. Then cross the ocean and go to South Africa, and work your way up till you reach Egypt, then cross it, get in the Middle East, and work your way East all the way to Indonesia. And in every place you go, do good to others and care about them. Essentially, become Father Guillermo of Santiago.

    Must it be so extreme? Yes. Either care about a few, or care about everyone. There is no middle ground. There is no in-between. It's all or nothing as far as I'm concerned, and obviously I have given this much thought. In the end, however, I chose the path of least resistance - #1. It hurts too much to care about everyone, so the idea is to care about as few people as you can manage, not the other way around. So, no, I am far from heartless, but I have to force myself to be, because the other option is worse, I think (feel?).
    4w3 sx/so ·· ISFP (?) ·· rcu|E|n
    gryffindor-ravenclaw ·· chaotic neutral
    leo sun ·· scorpius moon ·· earth dragon


    metsän ukko halliparta, metsän kultainen kuningas,
    ava nyt aittasi avara, luinen lukko lonkahuta!

  5. #15
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonkavision View Post
    The "objective, logical" approach to these kinds of issues (the 9/11 attacks, overpopulation, etc.) makes me fucking vomit.

    Seriously, I just don't get how people can be so crass.
    There is always the possibility there are some with personality disorders - sociopaths and, yes, even psychopaths.

    Sociopathic.net - Anti-Social Behaviour (Socio vs. Psychopath)

  6. #16
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    There is always the possibility there are some with personality disorders - sociopaths and, yes, even psychopaths.

    Sociopathic.net - Anti-Social Behaviour (Socio vs. Psychopath)
    I doubt he's a sociopath.

    All he's saying is that if someone is going to die, it might as well be someone who uses more resources than average. Which I agree with.

    The fact that it totally misses the point does not make him a sociopath.

  7. #17
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil Flamingo View Post
    Well, as ENFP, I have two options:

    1) detach yourself from people who aren't family/friends/loved ones and/or you don't know, and resign yourself to the fact you can't do anything to help these people, so ignore their misery, or laugh it off (better than cry it off)

    2) accept that if you don't detach yourself, you're basically forced to care about everyone in the world, even though there's billions of people, and you only have one heart. Next step is become wandering do-gooder, start in Canada and work your way down to Chile and Argentina. Then cross the ocean and go to South Africa, and work your way up till you reach Egypt, then cross it, get in the Middle East, and work your way East all the way to Indonesia. And in every place you go, do good to others and care about them. Essentially, become Father Guillermo of Santiago de Cuba.

    Must it be so extreme? Yes. Either care about a few, or care about everyone. There is no middle ground. There is no in-between. It's all or nothing as far as I'm concerned, and obviously I have given this much thought. In the end, however, I chose the path of least resistance - #1. It hurts too much to care about everyone, so the idea is to care about as few people as you can manage, not the other way around.
    I disagree. It doesn't have to be so extreme. I was disturbed by the pictures I saw after the earthquake in Haiti. When I saw that people were dropping like flies in Moscow this summer because of the combination of fires and high temperatures, and that like 1/3 of their crops were destroyed, I stopped and thought about it. I think about the world all of the time. There is a way to have reverence and concern for people without it being so dramatic that you have a nervous breakdown.

    I have compassion for human suffering no matter what nation it happens in, and I don't think it's a situation where you obsessively cry over starving children in Africa or harden your heart to everyone in the world except your family members. There is something in between. It's called "disinterested love."

  8. #18
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil Flamingo View Post
    Must it be so extreme? Yes. Either care about a few, or care about everyone. There is no middle ground.
    Or you could take the approach of Edmund Burke:
    "We begin our public affections in families. No cold relation is the zealous citizen. We pass on to our neighborhoods and our provincial connections. These are our inns and resting places. Such division of our country as have been formed by habit and not by sudden jerk of authority are so many little images of the great country in which the heart is found something it could fill. The love to the whole is not extinguished by this subordinate partiality...To love the little platoon we belong to in society is the first principle of public affections. It is the first link in the series by which we proceed towards a love to our country and to mankind."
    Love for family and love for mankind are not mutually exclusive; rather one is the proper foundation for the latter.

  9. #19
    Kultainen Kuningas Devil Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    LOL
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Hey, I never said the method to my madness was the right method. I merely stated that there is a method. XD One that I doubt I'll change, but you never know...
    4w3 sx/so ·· ISFP (?) ·· rcu|E|n
    gryffindor-ravenclaw ·· chaotic neutral
    leo sun ·· scorpius moon ·· earth dragon


    metsän ukko halliparta, metsän kultainen kuningas,
    ava nyt aittasi avara, luinen lukko lonkahuta!

  10. #20
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I doubt he's a sociopath.

    All he's saying is that if someone is going to die, it might as well be someone who uses more resources than average. Which I agree with.

    The fact that it totally misses the point does not make him a sociopath.
    Who are you talking about and why are you involving me in it?
    My post was to Wonka about certain types of abnormally functioning human beings, in general.
    If people can't feel empathy for their fellow man, yes, they have a pretty big problem on their hands.

Similar Threads

  1. How tall would 16 buildings need to be to house the world's population? (split)
    By EcK in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 08-11-2015, 05:38 PM
  2. What is truth (split from post poll)
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-27-2013, 09:47 AM
  3. Sept. 11, 2001
    By BRMC117 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 09-14-2010, 03:49 AM
  4. Iran's Ahmadinejad: Sept. 11 attacks a 'big lie'
    By Scott N Denver in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 03-12-2010, 04:38 PM
  5. Locus of Control
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 12:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO