User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Why do people want to shag virgins so much anyway?
    For the same reason people always want to blurt out "FIRST!!11!" on Youtube video comments and other similar things.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Well this thread is thoroughly derailed.

Even if it is technically on topic it has been derailed from it's original purpose.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Sniffles

Not to sound cynical, but do threads here ever stay on topic?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Well this thread is thoroughly derailed.

Even if it is technically on topic it has been derailed from it's original purpose.
    Let's continue or veer back onto the original purpose. Talking about mass genocide and measuring human life as if we're weighing ingredients, currency, or some other commodity is depressing as hell. It literally makes me sick.

Those who enjoy that approach aren't just utilitarians but are also strict materialists. They can't even think out of their concrete box long enough to see the abstract implications of human life. For instance, ideas contributed by a human being to society as a whole are often positively impactful, not to mention an infinite number of other qualities that transcend "amount consumed". Creating such a narrow standard for evaluating human life is just as narrow as any nationalistic standard.

The abundant attention given to the 9/11 victims isn't given because their lives are supposedly worth more.

I think those who wish to "save the planet" by extinguishing human life should be the first to give up their own. Sounds like a fair deal to me.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Not to sound cynical, but do threads here ever stay on topic?
    Most threads on this forum stay on purpose even if they don't stay on topic. Threads in the political forum talk about politics. Threads in the philosophy forum talk about philosophy and religion, etc.... This thread's purpose was for each person to discuss their own experience or memory of 9/11.

If we wanted to discuss the political implications of 9/11 then I'd think the thread belongs in the political forum. However it started in the Bonfire, because it had more to do with sharing our experiences rather than discussing the political aspects. Remembering 9/11 is different from debating about 9/11.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

For me, it was just one more incredibly bad thing in a very long string of incredibly bad things, starting when I was a child sitting in my child sized rocking chair watching tv, seeing JFK get shot in the head and hearing the President is dead, I mean, that came completely out of nowhere and we were all so happy with him and Jackie ... and Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy and Malcolm X for that matter, and Kent State and Birmingham, and the Viet Nam war on tv all day every day, and the outrageous gas prices and the dependence on foreign oil that we need to get rid of -- but this was in 1973 and yet nothing's changed, if anything, it's worse ... it's another in a long line of wtf, now it's not Viet Nam, it's Afghanistan et al, but meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Sniffles

Unfortunately any discussion about lost of life that is reported in the media is soon followed by at least one smart-ass making the comment of how does this really matter since people die everyday or making crocodile tears about starving kids in the Third World.

I remember somebody doing this in one discussion about the death of the Pope years ago, and even posted a phoney name he made(or at best got it out of the obituary) and claimed "why are we paying attention to the Pope but not him" and all that. We also heard this in the thread concerning the death of one of the last surviving WWI vets and why he got so much attention. Also on occasion of the recent death of the Polish president and much of the government many here tried to turn it into one big Polack joke.

I'm not defending this, but simply stating that unfortunately these kinds of people do exist.

Thumbs down The Will of Allah

The Islamic destruction of the Twin Towers had the effect of bringing Australia and America closer together.

We are reminded of this every day with the sharing of Intelligence at the highest levels.

And I am reminded of this every day by the low reinforced concrete walls surrounding Government buildings in Canberra.

And I am reminded of this by the intransigence of groups of muslim men brought before our Criminal Courts - they truly and deeply believe they are doing the will of Allah.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Split from here.