User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    O RLY? I bet those folks who were on the plane knew they were going to die for an hour or so before they crashed. Also, there were people who died within the building through being crushed and suffocated, so I'm sure their deaths weren't as quick as you're trying to make it out to be. Flying an airplane into a building is just as pre-meditated as sending people to a gas chamber, just on a smaller scale. It's also "inefficient."
    To me, that's the worst part about the entire thing. These people, just waiting to die...Horrific.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    To be honest I think that it says more about the prevailence of feeling functions and personal and personalised narratives in the present day contra ideological/religious/political messages or thinking-judging.

The same things happened in the UK surrounding the death of Diana and Doddy Alfiad (spelling)
    well that's part of what i wanted to explore: I'd imagine that, at least in the case of financial gain from the event, there has to be a desire and a market for material items that we can connect to feelings/emotions. Is that what you meant re: personal(ised) narratives?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

I only read the first seven pages of this, so I may have missed a great portion of the topic -- but it was angering me too much to continue on.

I agree with what a lot of people are saying -- I was eleven at the time and I didn't really connect with what was going on at the time. I didn't understand that my country had been attacked nor that thousands of people had died. Perhaps this was because I was so young, but most probably because I had been sheltered before then. I had seen death, yes, but never before had I even thought that the US could be attacked. It may seem silly to people who don't live in the States, but I didn't even comprehend the consequences of the attack until much later.

People can go on an on about saying that it was just one event and that other countries become enraged that we Americans are ignorant to the hardships of other countries. I will agree with you there, most of our youth (including myself at that age) have no idea what is going on in the world, and sadly enough, with our own troops until it effects them personally. My little sister is nine this year and she has no idea about 9/11 other than the horrifying videos she watches in class. She sees only what the media tells her -- and that's seeing thousands of people dying.

I don't care what country you live in or what you think of the United States, a human life is a human life. No one deserves to die the way those people did on that day. No one deserves to die over in other countries either when tragedies occur. I'm not one for feeling a bunch of pride for my country, but...still, don't cheapen those peoples deaths. :\

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    when people die unexpectedly they suffer less. therefore airplane to a big building > gas chamber. im not saying that we should cut down people with airplanes, im just saying that its better than gas chamber.
    Why is suffering less so important here? Especially if the people being killed are themselves causing such horrendous suffering to the enviroment and other people? And isn't suffering a mere subjective variable anyways? It's like the one dark comedy; where a wife hires a hitman to kill her husband, but stresses that while she wants him dead, she doesn't want him hurt.

and like i told earlier, there are better ways to save the planet than killing people like this.
    I certainly agree with you. However, unlike you, I don't make rationalizations opting for the quick fix to complex issues. And I definately note there are certain paths one should never take in solving such issues. I have a conscience after all.

This reminds me of an incident that occured in a village in Lithuania, where a disease was spreading that was mostly fatal but not always. A common symptom of the disease was the victim lasping into a deathlike coma. So there was the risk of burying people alive, and the villagers tried to figure out how to solve this problem. Two solutions were devised(supposedly).

The first solution was to install air vents into coffins, just in case if the person happened to be alive. This was expensive to do, but many determined it was worth the price(they were dealing with the lives of their relatives and neighbors here). The second was far less expensive. This was to install a 12inch stake into the coffin, so there would be no more uncertainity.

Both sides were concerned about the same issue, but has chosen different means of addressing it - based upon two different sets of priorities.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Hmm, pretty NTJ of you there Peguy
    I'm simply addressing him on his own ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I'm simply addressing him on his own ground.

Sniffles

Yes indeed.

MBTI
    ENFJ

We also need to consider that New Yorkers, because of their proximity to each other and use of public transit, use LESS resources than the average American, and by bombing New York, you're discouraging people to live there in that way, because it makes them think they're sitting ducks.

If you really want to do some eco-terrorism, go to L.A., where in some places they have more cars than people.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ----

why doesn't INTP man-up and become a proper eco-terrorist? recruit some other naive undergraduates. tell them they'll get to shag virgins in heaven if they sacrifice themselves to the noble cause. print some fliers with earthy motifs on recycled paper. shit like that.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    why doesn't INTP man-up and become a proper eco-terrorist? recruit some other naive undergraduates. tell them they'll get to shag virgins in heaven if they sacrifice themselves to the noble cause. print some fliers with earthy motifs on recycled paper. shit like that.
    Why do people want to shag virgins so much anyway?