User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

It's a unifying experience to have a 2 Minute Hate all together.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Abiding by law many times does not help execute proper justice.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    justice.
    iz relative.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Abiding by law many times does not help execute proper justice.
    I made no mention of the law. I'm talking about ethics.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Let's turn this into a discussion.

These stories give me a sort of heavy feeling. They don't make me thirst for revenge, though.

I get a bit annoyed by these threads actually, because I don't know what purpose they serve. There doesn't seem to be any intellectual value to these things. They almost invariably turn into a vengeance fest, where everyone vents their anger and talk about what horrible things to do to this criminal. It's a tad mindless.
    For me, I'm just amazed that people actually do things like this. My reaction was "Wow", kind of like the reaction you get by watching someone eat something really disgusting.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    iz relative.
    Rather, the justice system used is more limited therefore does not go further a certain limit. The man might as well have done what he did for 3 months and would probably face the same sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I made no mention of the law. I'm talking about ethics.
    I am but only making a comparison to the justice of the law and the justice of our ethical values. We cannot enforce our ethics to reality because of the barrier of the law.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    For me, I'm just amazed that people actually do things like this. My reaction was "Wow", kind of like the reaction you get by watching someone eat something really disgusting.
    It is astonishing, though I wonder how many times one can read about this kind of thing before it starts to lose it's shock-value. No less horrible, but less shocking.

Whatever the reason for creating the thread, the response is usually something like a torch mob.

I don't know, it brings me to some mix of and :rolli:

Anyhow, if you're amazed, check this guy out: David Parker Ray.

Also this guy:Dr. H. H. Holmes. He didn't do as nasty stuff to his victims (if, at this level, such degrees of difference are relevant), but I'm just amazed this man built a sort of mansion for torturing and terrorizing people and used it as a hotel. It sounds like bullshit, but apparently it's real.

Some people just have their wires all wrong.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    He should be raped, tortured and shot in the face.
    Agreed.

Rather, the justice system used is more limited therefore does not go further a certain limit. The man might as well have done what he did for 3 months and would probably face the same sentence.

I am but only making a comparison to the justice of the law and the justice of our ethical values. We cannot enforce our ethics to reality because of the barrier of the law.
    I agree justice system has its limitations. But like TG pointed out, I hope all the other prisoners know what this guy is in for and will treat him accordingly. Justice is not limited to the legal system. There is a natural justice in the works. A karma, if you will... or at least, I like to think so.

As MP said, let's put this whole revenge thought aside and think about how this can be prevented in the future.

Here's an idea.

Next time someone does something like this - the state executes you and puts the three people you care about most in prison doing hard time for life. It seems punishing just the one perpetrator isn't enough of an incentive to stop people from doing this sort of shit. I know it's not fair because it hurts innocent people, but wouldn't this be the incentive for fuckers like this to NOT do these terrible things? How's that for moving away from unproductive vengeful thoughts and thinking about improving things for the better?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Your saying that actions must be paid in equal proportion(Justice)? What type of sentence would fit Hitler?

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBest View Post
    Next time someone does something like this - the state executes you and puts the three people you care about most in prison doing hard time for life. It seems punishing just the one perpetrator isn't enough of an incentive to stop people from doing this sort of shit. I know it's not fair because it hurts innocent people, but wouldn't this be the incentive for fuckers like this to NOT do these terrible things? How's that for moving away from unproductive vengeful thoughts and thinking about improving things for the better?
    It gets an F. The harm done to those innocents would, in many cases, outweigh the damage it's suposed to prevent, if it prevented it... but realistically the kind of person that does this sort of crap is not going to be deterred by any such thing as they probably don't care about anyone. So the idea gets struck down twice.

And, I guess it's worth mentioning that it does not remedy or compensate anything, (and if fact creates more things that need to be remedied for compensated no less), so if it fails to prevent, it fails to do anything.
    Go to sleep, iguana.