User Tag List

Default Asteroid passing close to Earth today

(another one already did)

At 5:12 PM EDT, an asteroid will come closer to Earth than 1/4 the distance to the moon.

I wonder how much confidence they have in their calculations that it won't hit Earth.

Asteroid buzzes Earth; another one coming - CNN.com

From Two Small Asteroids to Pass Close by Earth on September 8, 2010

NASA/JPL Near-Earth Object Program Office
    September 7, 2010

Two asteroids, several meters in diameter and in unrelated orbits, will pass within the Moon's distance of Earth on Wednesday, September 8th. The Catalina Sky Survey near Tucson Arizona discovered both objects on the morning of September 5 during their routine monitoring of the skies. The Minor Planet Center in Cambridge Massachusetts first received the observations Sunday morning, determined preliminary orbits and concluded that both objects would pass within the distance of the Moon about three days after their discovery.

Near Earth asteroid 2010 RX30 is estimated to be 10 to 20 meters in size and will pass within 0.6 lunar distances of Earth (about 248,000 km) at 9:51 Greenwich standard time (5:51 am EDT) Wednesday.

The second object, 2010 RF12, estimated to be 6 to 14 meters in size will pass within 0.2 lunar distances (79,000 km) a few hours later at 21:12 Greenwich standard time (5:12 pm EDT).

Both objects should be observable near closest approach with moderate sized amateur telescopes. Although neither of these object has a chance of hitting Earth, a ten meter-sized near-Earth asteroid from the undiscovered population of about 50 million would be expected to pass almost daily within a lunar distance, and one might strike Earth's atmosphere about every ten years on average.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Although neither of these object has a chance of hitting Earth, a ten meter-sized near-Earth asteroid from the undiscovered population of about 50 million would be expected to pass almost daily within a lunar distance, and one might strike Earth's atmosphere about every ten years on average.
    Even if it does hit earth, I am pretty sure that Cockroaches wouldn't give a shit.

*Laughs at my own joke*

Ps- Thanks for the info.

Oh cool. Will it look like it's moving fast or will it just go about the same speed as the moon goes? Which direction should you look to see it?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

I'm bummed the article says you can't see it with the naked eye... And I don't wanna go spend tons of money on a telescope.... Wonder if my high school BFF's dad still has his bad ass telescope.....