User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default Long Island man arrested for defending his home with AK-47 rifle

News story

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (CBS 2) — He was arrested for protecting his property and family.

But it’s how the Long Island man did it that police say crossed the line.

He got an AK-47 assault rifle, pulled the trigger and he ended up in jail, reports CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman.

George Grier said he had to use his rifle on Sunday night to stop what he thought was going to be an invasion of his Uniondale home by a gang he thought might have been the vicious “MS-13.” He said the whole deal happened as he was about to drive his cousin home.

“I went around and went into the house, ran upstairs and told my wife to call the police. I get the gun and I go outside and I come into the doorway and now, by this time, they are in the driveway, back here near the house. I tell them, you know, ‘Can you please leave?’ Grier said.

Grier said the five men dared him to use the gun; and that their shouts brought another larger group of gang members in front of his house.

“He starts threatening my family, my life. ‘Oh you’re dead. I’m gonna kill your family and your babies. You’re dead.’ So when he says that, 20 others guys come rushing around the corner. And so I fired four warning shots into the grass,” Grier said.

Grier was later arrested. John Lewis is Grier’s attorney.

“What he’s initially charged with – A D felony reckless endangerment — requires a depraved indifference to human life, creating a risk that someone’s going to die. Shooting into a lawn doesn’t create a risk of anybody dying,” Lewis said.

Grier said he knew Nassau County Police employ the hi-tech “ShotSpotter” technology in his area and that the shooting would bring police in minutes. Cops told Guzman he was very cooperative.

Grier also said he was afraid the gang outside his house was the dreaded MS-13. And Nassau County Police Lt. Andrew Mulraine, head of the gang unit, said MS-13 has 2,000 members in the county.

“They’re probably the most organized. They almost have a military hierarchy within the gang, so they are the most organized gang we encounter on a daily basis,” Mulraine said.

You may think a person has the right to defend their home. But the law says you can only use physical force to deter physical force. Grier said he never saw anyone pull out a gun, so a court would have to decide on firing the gun.

Police determined Grier had the gun legally. He has no criminal record. And so he was not charged for the weapon.

That ShotSpotter technology pinpoints where a gun has been fired within 35 feet. Police said it also detected two other shootings in nearby Roosevelt that night.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

It's legal to have a Kalashnikov?!?! Whew... I don't think that any private person should have the right to have those, but nevertheless, if it is ok to have one, then yes it is ok to shoot warning shots at that many gang members on your lawn. The law is supposed to be about defending with equal force (fist against fist, knife against knife), at least that's how it goes here. I think one man with a Kalashnikov is just about equal force to twenty gang members.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

That man had every right to use that fire arm in the manner that he did, and in no way should he be punished for doing so. That AK-47 very well saved the life of himself and his family, without good protection like that horrific consequences could have ensured. Perhaps instead of arresting the guy the police should spend more of their time hunting down vicious gang members that are a threat to innocent people.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Grier also said he was afraid the gang outside his house was the dreaded MS-13. And Nassau County Police Lt. Andrew Mulraine, head of the gang unit, said MS-13 has 2,000 members in the county.

“They’re probably the most organized. They almost have a military hierarchy within the gang, so they are the most organized gang we encounter on a daily basis,” Mulraine said.
    I think... he should move.

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    That man had every right to use that fire arm in the manner that he did, and in no way should he be punished for doing so. That AK-47 very well saved the life of himself and his family, without good protection like that horrific consequences could have ensured. Perhaps instead of arresting the guy the police should spend more of their time hunting down vicious gang members that are a threat to innocent people.
    +1. Agreed. Grier did nothing wrong. Period.

MBTI
    INTj

I wonder why the "gang" was at his house?

Too bad he didn't launch an ICBM at them. That would have been hot!
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    It's legal to have a Kalashnikov?!?! Whew...
    You can here in Tennessee at least... and just about any other gun you so desire.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Isn't it hypocritical to let people have weapons they are not allowed to use? Maybe the lawmen are having second thoughts and now want to make this guy an example?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    I think... he should move.
    INDEED.

As I have observed, the law punishes the victim more and more.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

MS-13 is pretty big in a lot of areas on Long Island.
    Grier had legitimate fears.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx