User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Either way around a completely unnecessary weapon for defending one's property...
    Thank you for quoting for us from the English zietgeist.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    You know what? You gotta smart mouse.

Besides... an army style rifle? Please. No logical argument will validate that kind of level no matter what the feelings of the arguer.

What would be next? I mean the perfect home defence weapon is an automatic shotgun!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Oberon

You know what? You gotta smart mouse.
    Why, thank you!

Besides... an army style rifle? Please. No logical argument will validate that kind of level no matter what the feelings of the arguer.
    Or in other words, rationality cannot alter your position, because your position is not based on rationality.

What would be next? I mean the perfect home defence weapon is an automatic shotgun!
    The question at the heart of the matter is whether potentially lethal force can be legitimate for home defense. It either is, or it isn't.

If it isn't, it doesn't matter how innocent the weapon looks... and if it is, it doesn't matter how evil the weapon looks. It makes no difference to the home invader whether he's stopped with a single-barrelled .22 gallery rifle or a crew-served machine gun.

However, if you really prefer, I could recommend one of these for home defense:

It's a vintage design that dates back to 1894... you will find references to it under "1894 Winchester." It is a lever-action carbine. It holds seven shots, and fires ammunition that has ballistics comparable to the 7.62x39 cartridge of the AK-47 (what it gives up in velocity it makes up for in bullet weight). Though it is a repeater, it is not a semi-auto, and it doesn't have the evil pistol grip, evil box magazine, or evil bayonet lug of the AK series.

Though it cannot be reloaded as quickly as the AK, in the hands of a practiced rifleman it's every bit as effective.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Why, thank you!
    Well may as well be polite before the eye scratching right?

Or in other words, rationality cannot alter your position, because your position is not based on rationality.
    Lol. Depends upon your paradigm. No firearm is logical to a brit realistically but that's illogical to a yank. Just face it, you're culturally wrong!
    The question at the heart of the matter is whether potentially lethal force can be legitimate for home defense. It either is, or it isn't.
    Whoa... no it isn't the whole story. If that was it then why the limitation on automatic weapons? Why no flamethrowers? Why are hollowpoints not used by the military?
    If it isn't, it doesn't matter how innocent the weapon looks... and if it is, it doesn't matter how evil the weapon looks. It makes no difference to the home invader whether he's stopped with a single-barrelled .22 gallery rifle or a crew-served machine gun.
    Speaking as someone with an interest in psychology, yes it does but go ahead.
    However, if you really prefer, I could recommend one of these for home defense:

It's a vintage design that dates back to 1894... you will find references to it under "1894 Winchester." It is a lever-action carbine. It holds seven shots, and fires ammunition that has ballistics comparable to the 7.62x39 cartridge of the AK-47 (what it gives up in velocity it makes up for in bullet weight). Though it is a repeater, it is not a semi-auto, and it doesn't have the evil pistol grip, evil box magazine, or evil bayonet lug of the AK series.
    Looks a bit long for a carbine but whatever I see no reason it can't be fired from horseback.
    Though it cannot be reloaded as quickly as the AK, in the hands of a practiced rifleman it's every bit as effective.
    Surely a practised rifleman would not need a better weapon then? Good. Scratch him off the list of people who logically need an AK.

Now unpractised riflemen... do we really want to give them the option of firing so many poorly aimed shots per minute? I wouldn't have thought that was a good idea with a weapon not chosen by swat teams in many urban environments because of over-penetration and ricochets surely you'd want to limit the collateral damage at risk. Sure if he protects his home then yeehah but if he kills 20 bystanders and misses all of the gang members then we persecute him as irresponsible?

I guess that's a real free society. But then why is there a restriction on automatic weapons (and burst fire if I remember correctly) but no form of restriction on how fast a semi auto you're allowed?

Trying to apply logic here but couldn't there be a system of if a weapon is over a certain calibre then only bolt action or similarly slow rate of fire weapons are allowed thereby giving practised shooters a big gun if they really want but limiting the spray and pray crowd to a less potentially genocidal weapon?

If that doesn't impinge too much on people's need to be in control of their own means of playing army of course.

Oberon

Lol. Depends upon your paradigm. No firearm is logical to a brit realistically but that's illogical to a yank.
    That's the heart of the issue right there. You don't want weapons in the hands of the citizenry at all, not even so much as a sharp stick, and anyone who uses such should be locked away.

Am I right?

And if that's the case, all the discussion about the various capabilities of various weapons is really so much pointless fluff.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

That's the heart of the issue right there. You don't want weapons in the hands of the citizenry at all, not even so much as a sharp stick, and anyone who uses such should be locked away.

Am I right?

And if that's the case, all the discussion about the various capabilities of various weapons is really so much pointless fluff.
    As I've said previously, I'm all for me having firearms at home and being able to defend my home, land and stuff with them. Great. That's a perfect idea.

Looking around me though, I'm struggling to think of someone else I'd want to have the same kinds of firepower. I'm guessing that's what leads to the arms race in the states. We just never really started it over here.

Hell anything weapon like you'll now get confiscated unless you've got it on your for a particular job and you're travelling to or from there.

Anyhow, when speaking of the states you can't really disarm the populace. It'd cause too many problems and it's a psychological crutch that many would lose the last strand of sanity over, so I discuss types of weapons.

That and I'm a gun nut. I may not be allowed them by nanny in charge but that can't stop me appreciating them or having quite expansive knowledge of them.

So if you're inferring that I think they are the devices of satan then I'm afraid you are incorrect.

Oberon

As I've said previously, I'm all for me having firearms at home and being able to defend my home, land and stuff with them. Great. That's a perfect idea.

Looking around me though, I'm struggling to think of someone else I'd want to have the same kinds of firepower. I'm guessing that's what leads to the arms race in the states. We just never really started it over here.

Hell anything weapon like you'll now get confiscated unless you've got it on your for a particular job and you're travelling to or from there.
    Well, then, that more or less brings us 'round to my original comment:

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Well, then, that more or less brings us 'round to my original comment:

Yup. Nobody understands you cause you're unique...blah blah... no one in the world...

How could an outside perspective mean anything in this situation?
    How could someone who's not brought up on the same values have any insight?

How long have you been defending that position? Seriously there's no one about to take you're precious. Relax. You've live longer.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Arms race?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Arms race?
    I thought that half of the theory was that people had guns cause criminals did?

Or is that just an argument used?