User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I don't see why this guy shouldn't be charged with a crime. You can't just shoot your gun whenever and wherever you feel like it.

You don't pull the trigger unless you're going to shoot someone in self-defense. We don't need a bunch of dumbasses firing "warning shots" into the ground/air everywhere.
    The moment a shot was fired it was inevitable that someone would be charged with a crime, so a judge and jury could sort it all out. That's just the way it works.

Whether the man in question was a "dumbass" who fired shots into the ground because he "felt like it" really remains to be seen.

I will say that I hope I'm never in the position he's in.

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't see why this guy shouldn't be charged with a crime. You can't just shoot your gun whenever and wherever you feel like it.

You don't pull the trigger unless you're going to shoot someone in self-defense. We don't need a bunch of dumbasses firing "warning shots" into the ground/air everywhere.
    This is a legitimate point. It's really not surprising that they charged him, but it will suck if he gets convicted and hit with serious penalties. It's too bad none of them did pull a gun so he could have wasted them. Either way, moving is really his only option, because whatever happens he's going to continue having to deal with them.

Quote Originally Posted by 5231311252 View Post
    Texas.
    Yeah, someone in my neighborhood took out some guys breaking into his neighbor's house and basically became a city hero.

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Whew... I don't think that any private person should have the right to have those
    This really isn't much different than having any other .308 rifle except for the magazine capacity and the fact that it looks scarier to people. Oberon's right on the money here...

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    The media is prone to call any rifle built on the Kalashnikov action an AK-47, but the vast majority of these in the US are semi-autos, and the remainder are legal only with a Class III Federal Firearms License.

He was almost certainly using one of the semi-auto variants.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

The moment a shot was fired it was inevitable that someone would be charged with a crime, so a judge and jury could sort it all out. That's just the way it works.

Whether the man in question was a "dumbass" who fired shots into the ground because he "felt like it" really remains to be seen.

I will say that I hope I'm never in the position he's in.
    I don't think he's a dumbass, but allowing him to shoot his weapon in such a manner without charging him will lead to dumbassery by others.

Oberon

I don't think he's a dumbass, but allowing him to shoot his weapon in such a manner without charging him will lead to dumbassery by others.
    I personally am of the opinion that you never shoot unless you mean to stop an attack, and the most efficient way to do this is to aim for center of mass and pull the trigger until the attack stops or the gun runs dry.

So, yeah, I don't think he should have done what he did. Fortunately the court will have a chance to sort it out. I would send the wife and kids to grandma's in the meantime.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

This really isn't much different than having any other .308 rifle except for the magazine capacity and the fact that it looks scarier to people. Oberon's right on the money here...
    Hate to nit pick, but the AK (and most of its variants) fires the 7.62x39mm round. .308 is of similar diameter, but is 51mm long giving it a much greater punch and range of effectiveness than 7.62x39.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Hate to nit pick, but the AK (and most of its variants) fires the 7.62x39mm round. .308 is the same diameter, but is 51mm long giving it a much greater punch and range of effectiveness than 7.62x39.
    ...hate to nit pick, but the 7.62x39 round fires a bullet of .311 inches in diameter, while the 7.62x51 (7.62 NATO, or .308 Winchester more or less) fires a bullet of .308 inches in diameter.

I thought I'd just add that, while we're nit-picking.

If he had used an SKS, it would have looked much less scary to the press, but the basic functionality would have been identical. Here's the SKS (it fires the same cartridge as the AK series):

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Hate to nit pick, but the AK (and most of its variants) fires the 7.62x39mm round. .308 is the same diameter, but is 51mm long giving it a much greater punch and range of effectiveness than 7.62x39.
    Close. The 47 is 7.62 russian calibre the 74 (a later updated version) is a 5.45mm.

Either way around a completely unnecessary weapon for defending one's property and completely uncalled for unless said group of teens is actually armed with anything other than a smart mouth. Otherwise you face the decision of whether to shoot an unarmed man to prove you mean it or give the impression you're bluffing. At least with something less lethal you have the whole inflict pain option first.

Besides, good example of an arms race but no the guy shouldn't be pursued too much by the law. The greatest surprise of that whole story was that he only shot his front lawn!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

If he had used an SKS, it would have looked much less scary to the press, but the basic functionality would have been identical. Here's the SKS (it fires the same cartridge as the AK series):
    The bayonet would have been useful to scare them too....
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Close. The 47 is 7.62 russian calibre the 74 (a later updated version) is a 5.45mm.

Either way around a completely unnecessary weapon for defending one's property and completely uncalled for unless said group of teens is actually armed with anything other than a smart mouth. Otherwise you face the decision of whether to shoot an unarmed man to prove you mean it or give the impression you're bluffing. At least with something less lethal you have the whole inflict pain option first.

Besides, good example of an arms race but no the guy shouldn't be pursued too much by the law. The greatest surprise of that whole story was that he only shot his front lawn!
    Oh, I didn't realize it specified what model of AK (or variant) it was. Sorry for the mix up. That being said, had it been a 47 I would have been right.

Either way, the .308 wasn't involved in the situation.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Hate to nit pick, but the AK (and most of its variants) fires the 7.62x39mm round. .308 is of similar diameter, but is 51mm long giving it a much greater punch and range of effectiveness than 7.62x39.
    Fixed.