User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default Fair Skin in India

A whiter shade of pale - 101 East - Al Jazeera English

If your Indian or know about the culture i'd love for you to comment on this. I don't know a lot about Indian culture and would love to learn

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

5 Celebrity Careers Launched by Ethnic Makeovers | Cracked.com

The power dynamics and issues of value and beauty are interesting and depressing to study in depth.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP

Simple jewelry and trinkets, reminders of wealth to all who gaze upon them. Yesterday they could stay indoors and stave off the harsh sun, today they can adorn themselves with whitening ointments. Both require a certain investment of labor (or lack of labor) or money to achieve, and the results can be spectacular! Status, image, self-satisfaction, all of these are empowering and serve to add detail to the social interactions they will engage in.

Some people take this activity full circle, their lives so devoid of interest or danger that they instead pursue an artificial image of the exalted laborer, tanned and well-muscled. The intentions remain the same, they project an image, their own choice self-portrait to present to the world.

I know nothing about India though, sorry. Big population I hear.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I didn't realize it was a big deal there until this thread. But apparently it is. I would have expected this to be part of the fallout of being a former English colony, but it looks like it is a vestige of the caste system.

Global voices: Skin-lightening products promote caste system - thestar.com

What I find really interesting from that article is that the company selling one of the more successful skin lightening products in India is also the parent company of Dove here in the US, which is supposedly all about "natural beauty."

Edit: another article about it: Indian Women Whiten Their Skin, Fight The Patriarchy
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

Fair & Lovely
    Menz Active Cream

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlbfNx5X9Fo&feature=fvw"]John Abraham endorses Garnier Mens fairness cream[/YOUTUBE]
    The answer must be in the attempt
    avy url : natgeocreative Photo

MBTI
    INFP

[YOUTUBE="KIUQ5hbRHXk"]WTF?[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

Kind of interesting to think about, but I don't really see how it's very different from say, tanning, in the Western world.
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Light skin has always been considered beautiful in a lot of cultures. Even the word "fair", which once was synonymous with pretty also implies light-skinned. Some suggest that this is because it was indicative that the woman did not need to work outside and was able to keep her light complexion. In the United States, it used to be that women took care to wear hats, carry parasols, or wear bonnets to protect them from the sun.

In Japan, Korea, Thailand and China for sure, I know that light skin is still considered more attractive. My ESL students used to be very surprised to see women actually tanning on purpose on our university campus. They would have preferred to carry around umbrellas, but felt self-conscious doing so when no one here did. I've heard that many people travelling by mo-peds over there have gloves, scarves etc to protect them from the sun.

My Indian friends have said that skin lightening isn't uncommon over there and that the lighter the skin, the better, in most people's eyes. It seems to be connected in part to caste and therefore marriageability and career success.

Funny, as I always grew up wishing for darker skin, which most of my family considered more attractive. Now that I'm getting older, also find pale skin crinkles up a lot worse, despite my best attempts at staying out of the sun and wearing sunscreen and caring for my skin.

Unhappy Skin Colour and Nukes

India is like the United States. Both speak English but have a different culture from us.

Only the United States belongs to the same civilization as us, while India is a different civilization.

As I write we are moving closer to India and I see Indian students around me wherever I go. And they are charming and intelligent and naturally speak excellent English. So one can very easily forget we both come from different civilizations - even though we play each other cricket.

But every now and then our differences can blow up into a misunderstanding. We have misunderstandings with Americans all the time and take it for granted, but we seem to be caught off guard with the Indians.

It is hard to believe that one billion people belong to a different civilization with a different language, a different history and different values. Americans of course make this mistake all the time, and now we are making the same mistake.

They say East is East and West is West and ne'er the twain shall meet.

And yet we are meeting and so far we are maintaining the balance of power. India has a large enough army to control Australia but no means of getting here. And we could get to India but our army is so small we could do nothing.

And of course we maintain exactly the same balance of power with Indonesia. And so we remain at peace with our nearest Eastern neighbour, Indonesia, and one of our largest Eastern neighbours, India.

Unfortunately the United States is planning to arm Indonesia against China and so inadvertently give Indonesia the power to get here. And so disrupt the peace and the balance of power between Indonesia and Australia.

Of course the United States gave one whole country, West Papua, to the then Islamic dictatorship of Indonesia against the will of the West Papuans, and against the very strong advice of Australia. So we know the United States will completely ignore our advice not to arm Indonesia and so compromise our peace.

And we notice that countries armed with nuclear weapons are not invaded. So naturally we will be forced to arm ourselves with nuclear weapons, to keep the peace.

It kinda puts skin colour into perspective.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Unfortunately the United States is planning to arm Indonesia against China and so inadvertently give Indonesia the power to get here. And so disrupt the peace and the balance of power between Indonesia and Australia.

Source?