User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, I believe it's quite common in the equatorial countries in Asia to prefer fairer skin. Some parts of it can be traced back to the colonial days I guess where being fair meant a woman of good birth who stayed indoors and didn't need to labour out in the sun.
    Lots of skin lightening and whitening product advertisements over here.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INTP

This is my understanding:

Thousands of years ago (and several times thereafter) light-skinned nomads from the Asian steppes invaded and conquered India, blending cultures with the dark-skinned natives and instituting/reinforcing the caste system to maintain their dominance in the new Hindu society.

Of course, the Dravidian Indian states also have a culturally entrenched caste system, so that explanation might be even more simplistic than it sounds.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    This is my understanding:

Thousands of years ago (and several times thereafter) light-skinned nomads from the Asian steppes invaded and conquered India, blending cultures with the dark-skinned natives and instituting/reinforcing the caste system to maintain their dominance in the new Hindu society.

Of course, the Dravidian Indian states also have a culturally entrenched caste system, so that explanation might be even more simplistic than it sounds.
    Those light skinned nomads were the original Arayans from the Caucas mountains.

Brazil, India, Mexico Africa, the US- everyone has been skin lightening and "passing" (if they could) forever. Dark skin is just not cool. Few peoples celebrate it.
    George Bernard Shaw in cartoon form.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

That's dumb. Dark skin stays looking much nicer than old crinkled up white skin.

figsfiggyfigs

It's really common on the other side of the world.

for example, I'm pretty fair skinned. When ever I visit family in the middle east,*6 months before* they always comment on how fair and feminine I look because I'm so pale ;P . This summer, I tanned in Sweden before I left to visit.
    I believe I was only 3 shades darker, still pretty fair; I got bashed for being hideously "dark" and ugly. LOL.

It's insane how important ones skin colour can be to an individual's, or in this case, mass's opinion.

we're given what looks good on us.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by You'reWrongI'mRight View Post
    It's really common on the other side of the world.

for example, I'm pretty fair skinned. When ever I visit family in the middle east,*6 months before* they always comment on how fair and feminine I look because I'm so pale ;P . This summer, I tanned in Sweden before I left to visit.
    I believe I was only 3 shades darker, still pretty fair; I got bashed for being hideously "dark" and ugly. LOL.

It's insane how important ones skin colour can be to an individual's, or in this case, mass's opinion.

we're given what looks good on us.
    Surely it's the content of our character rather than the colour of our skin?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Light skin has always been considered beautiful in a lot of cultures. Even the word "fair", which once was synonymous with pretty also implies light-skinned. Some suggest that this is because it was indicative that the woman did not need to work outside and was able to keep her light complexion. In the United States, it used to be that women took care to wear hats, carry parasols, or wear bonnets to protect them from the sun.

In Japan, Korea, Thailand and China for sure, I know that light skin is still considered more attractive. My ESL students used to be very surprised to see women actually tanning on purpose on our university campus. They would have preferred to carry around umbrellas, but felt self-conscious doing so when no one here did. I've heard that many people travelling by mo-peds over there have gloves, scarves etc to protect them from the sun.

My Indian friends have said that skin lightening isn't uncommon over there and that the lighter the skin, the better, in most people's eyes. It seems to be connected in part to caste and therefore marriageability and career success.

Funny, as I always grew up wishing for darker skin, which most of my family considered more attractive. Now that I'm getting older, also find pale skin crinkles up a lot worse, despite my best attempts at staying out of the sun and wearing sunscreen and caring for my skin.
    Fair, in the sense of beautiful, does not imply light-skinned. It is a homonym of the other word. It means firm.
    Root verb: Indo-European PAK. Meaning to bind, to put together.

the industry term is used to describe the particular shade is "pinkish white" ....
    and the best selling products are usually from the west ie pond's, olay, nivea
    (procter, gamble and unilever, etc.,)

adding on top of that most beauty campaigns in asia use most spokesmodels
    that are hapa/eurasian mix... this really started because of regional ad campaigns,
    looking for someone that has a 'pan asian' look...

so it's fueled with multi million dollar ad spend through mass communications ...
    and these fmcg products that keep on being pumped out based on 'insights'...

ahh viva la advertising.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Surely it's the content of our character rather than the colour of our skin?
    Of course. But people are blinded by physical beauty, That shouldnt be a shocker to you Victor.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by You'reWrongI'mRight View Post
    Of course. But people are blinded by physical beauty, That shouldnt be a shocker to you Victor.
    Beauty makes promises it can't keep.