User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should sex offenders be treated humanely (in prison)?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

50 73.53%
  • No.

13 19.12%
  • Unsure.

5 7.35%
First 67891018 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I, too, have a very close family member who was hideously and repeatedly violated. It was the boyfriend of one of my sisters. He broke a table with her back (yes that's what I said) while she was five months pregnant with my nephew. He also knocked my other sister unconscious, who coincidentally also preganant - with twins - and she miscarried. The sister who still remained conscious stabbed her boyfriend and he died.

I think she did the right thing. She probably wouldn't be here if she hadn't done so, and my nephew definitely wouldn't be.

I've also known more than my fair share of women who were molested. Perhaps it was the profession I was in, because it attracts those who are unlikely to remain stable in other jobs, and I know from being around those women that IT FUCKS THEM UP PERMANENTLY FOR LIFE...being molested as a child seems to be an actual cause of mental illness, not just sexual issues or something very mild that could easily be recovered from.

That's why I don't take a kind or forgiving view to a certain type of violator. I think they deserve zero compassion for the problems in society that they perpetuate, and creating a culture that attempts to "nurture" them I think possibly only will result in their thinking that what they do is sort of okay and acceptable, when it is extremely, extremely permanently damaging to the victims. I think too many child molesters get away with what they do to begin with.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I think she did the right thing. She probably wouldn't be here if she hadn't done so, and my nephew definitely wouldn't be.
    Self-defense is rather different from subjecting a subdued and captured person to prolonged torture, which is essentially what this molester experienced.

In self-defense your life is on the line and the correct thing must be done in a very short amount of time. Your assailent is giving you little choice and to some extend the harming of innocents can even be forgiven (though not appreciated) in the panic.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Honestly, yes, I would actually. Why? Because if I were wrongly convicted of a sex crime the odds I would get my conviction overturned VS. getting raped and beaten in prison for year after year are next to none. Furthermore, I'm not putting myself in any situations where I could potentially be charged with such crimes. I'm a good man living a quiet and simple life, my risk of being wrongfully convicted is so low, that I'd be willing to implement a much more harsh criminal justice system for the sake of deterrence, suppression, and economic efficiency.

What is the number of people wrongly convicted for sex crimes? I'm just curious. Are we talking 1%? 2%? 5% 43%? Does anyone know? "Better to let 10 guilty men go free than send 1 innocent man to jail" is the age old expression, right? Well, I'll place a wager that there are more guilty sex offenders in jail than innocent. Would it be a tragedy to euthanize a man wrongly convicted for being a sex offender? Sure it would, but it would spare him from being beaten and raped and tortured for several years like the man in the O.P. wouldn't it?

Societal resources are limited. I would rather see the money we spend on preserving the rights of violent criminals, jailing them, paying for their court costs, etc. spent on education and an efficient and effective health care system.

The (criminal justice) system has been around for "the long term" and has been extremely self critical, and quite frankly, the (criminal justice) system sucks.
    Got to say that I totally agree with all this, it seems like a kind of thought experiment or abstraction to suggest that its easy to be accidentially imprisoned as a sex offender, where's the evidence to suggest that's even likely? What is the likelihood vs. the likelihood of sex offenders remaining free to become repeat offenders is a very legitimate question.

I do think that the criminal justice system in most developed world nations is self-appraising to a fault, it as a result provides a lot of law without much satisfaction and, realistically, I dont believe provides for a great sense of or actuality of safety.

I wish there was a much of a growth in consequential thinking and conscience as there is anxiety or hostility towards the authorities in any of their perceived failings. The reality is that most of the time you're not comparing like with like when you compare sex offenders to other members of the population, it is like comparing stoats and rabbits, both animals but...

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I have yet to see a five star hotel style orison. The animal within will always exist, meaning individual violence will always exist. Civilization is about restraining that impulse on a collective level and finding less archaic, more rational and humane ways of solving problems.
    Yeah, I dont follow at all, you're making moral arguments about instinct and civilisation which wont make sense to an amoral individual, ie a criminal.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I dont think people approve of rape, I really do think its a myth that people approve of violence against sex offenders.

Its only made plausible because peoples revulsion against such behaviour is that great that it can provoke a lot of hot headed talk but in all seriousness if everyone who talked about it made good on it there would be a seriously diminished population of offenders or prison rapes and abuse would be so common place as not to warrant a note at all. You dont get people wildly raving about the fact that the sun rises each morning because it happens everyday and it would be pretty special if it didnt.

What do I owe a sex offender? Which is really what this is about. Hmm, I would say very little, certainly not my sympathies or empathy and to be frank I could care less about them.

The hard luck stories of strangers dont often move me to much of a reaction anyway, with sex offenders or other categories of amoral individual or those without conscience its only more so. Oft times hard luck stories are a whine focused on high expectations of others, ommitting personal responsibility for circumstances or context.

Now, another question which isnt being asked, is this individual believeable? I dont see a lot in their personal history to recommend them as an honest, trustworthy and reliable source.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

He's comatose. I think it's beyond "is he telling the truth?" at this point.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Now, another question which isnt being asked, is this individual believeable? I dont see a lot in their personal history to recommend them as an honest, trustworthy and reliable source.
    I thought about that as well, but then multiple other people (including a priest) stepped forward to attest his claim. Not only that, the prison itself has a shady history:

Whatever the reason, the prison is certainly no stranger to scandal. Several years ago, the former warden and other officials were accused of using inmates as free labor at their homes. Guards have been previously criminally charged with abusing prisoners, and in 2007 an inmate who arrived at the prison six months' pregnant gave birth, alone, inside her cell, after prison staff ignored her pleas to be taken to the hospital. Several federal lawsuits have alleged a toxic environment of physical abuse and intimidation.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Moonstone3 View Post
    Lark, Halla 74 and Marmalade Sunrise +10
    Think of this, if you can, How well does America know that this 'inhumanity' goes on in prisons? It seems by this thread and all the online BS that it is well known. Did that stop all this convicted molesters from doing their selfish, consequential actions? Hell no.
    Do you also condone the rape of thieves in prison? What about drug addicts? These people also commit their crimes knowing that they could get raped in prison.

Sorry, I just don't buy this argument. People should not be getting raped in prison, period. We should never condone it. What we should do is properly punish people under the law. If you don't like the law, get it changed.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would support this behavior by people in the prison system. If you believe sentences for sex offenders are not strong enough, lobby for stronger sentences. I doubt you'll find many people willing to oppose you.

We cannot allow people in positions of authority to abuse their authority in this way, ever, regardless of how much we might detest the "victim". It's unacceptable.
    This pretty well says it all, and I agree. Though my emotions would probably dictate otherwise if it happened to a child or other relative of mine.

Do I wish that perpetrators of crimes like these, and the one where the lady got acid thrown in her face, could experience firsthand the pain they caused? Yeah, honestly. It's pretty unfair that in many cases, the punishment seems tame compared to the harm they caused. But we shouldn't allow our penal system to become a free-for-all of sanctioned torture and even murder.

I do remember reading somewhere that child rapists and molesters are targets in prison most often because so many inmates were victims of child molesters themselves.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    He's comatose. I think it's beyond "is he telling the truth?" at this point.
    I'm unsure what you're trying to say but your sympathy is obvious, is that all you wanted to do with that post?