User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should sex offenders be treated humanely (in prison)?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    50 73.53%
  • No.

    13 19.12%
  • Unsure.

    5 7.35%
First 5678917 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 196

  1. #61
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5231311252 View Post
    There were no indications he did it for any other reason other than personal enjoyment.

    Your use of the words "personal enjoyment" make my teeth hurt, because it drives home the point of how he was objectifying the children...in fact, that is my response to MP as well...to compare what he was doing to adult consensual sex or the extreme of being celibate is ridiculous. He was photographing them bound and gagged in bondage positions? Even better. I think I'd like to beat the living fuck out of this person myself. Gimme a tire iron.


    Violent offenders are most likely to commit these prison rapes and they don't commit them solely based on the victim being convicted of a sex crime. It's about getting the easiest target and since there are people like yourself running the prison systems or people in general who see it as just, sex offenders are most often the easiest targets. By condoning it, you are making prisons seem like heaven to prison rapists and even encouraging them to develop more violent behaviors. They get free food, free television, free health care and they can run around raping, beating the shit out of and murdering anyone on a whim.
    Cuz lord knows prison should be a safe haven, akin to a kindergarten or a battered women's shelter. Prison should be a place you DON'T wanna go. And yeah, I'm totally okay with that.



    What bothers me isn't necessarily the way he was treated, but the way it's justified and even encouraged by the supposedly civilized. Aren't US prisons suppose to reform the prisoners? Well if the behaviors that got them sent to prison are being allowed and even encouraged, who is getting reformed? No one. As I said before, the situation escalates and now there are five more problems to deal with. It is all preventable and in the end it would be more beneficial to do so.
    Is it all preventable? Let me know how that works out for you.

  2. #62
    DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    Hype
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I think we should treat all prisoners humanely--even child molesters--not because of who they are, but because of who we are.
    yeah i'd too like to reiterate how important this is.

    The entire basis of criminals being behind bars and us being out here in the free world is that there is something IMPORTANT that separates us from them. They do not have a moral code or some kind of behavioral compass from which to determine right and wrong, or they ignore it as they please - we do and pay attention to what is civil and thus can behave better than them.

    Whenever this kind of shit happens described in this story, it blurs all of what I just said above, and it no longer looks like the free citizens are any better behaved than those that are locked behind those bars. We begin to look like miniature versions of the monsters that we keep behind bars. Condoning rape for some and punishing others for it destroys all reason and logical basis for criminal justice.


    If we throw away the premise that we ought to be BETTER than what they are, then the whole logic of separating these criminals from the rest of us breaks down, and we have become hypocrites and administrators of piecemeal justice.

  3. #63
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    yeah i'd too like to reiterate how important this is.

    The entire basis of criminals being behind bars and us being out here in the free world is that there is something IMPORTANT that separates us from them. They do not have a moral code or compass from which to determine right and wrong- we do and thusly can behave better than them.
    And what is "right" and "wrong" seems to vary from generation to generation and from culture to culture. One hundred years ago it was perfectly fine and good to go witness a public hanging.

    I wouldn't go as far as to say that all of the people in prison have no moral code, either. I think that many people in prison don't belong there because they should be rehabilitated instead.

    Whenever this kind of shit happens described in this story, it blurs all of what I just said above, and it no longer looks like the free citizens aren't any better behaved than those that are locked behind those bars. We begin to look like miniature versions of the monsters that we keep behind bars.
    You seem to suffer from black and white thinking. Motive and intention are everything. For example, going to war to protect your country is not the same as randomly steering a plane into the world trade center. Humans are capable of rational violence. In reality, I probably wouldn't beat the man in the OP myself (unless it was my nephew or neice he abducted quietly in the night to tie up in electrical tape) but I have no objection to someone humanely executing him.

    If we throw away the premise that we ought to be BETTER than what they are, then the whole logic of separating criminals from the rest of us breaks down, and we have become hypocrites.
    I don't think it's that simple.

  4. #64
    DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    Hype
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    w/e, not even reading that crap. You know the point is valid.

  5. #65
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    w/e, not even reading that crap. You know the point is valid.
    Oh that's a mature and well-thought out response, I can really see how you're a "better" person.

  6. #66
    XES 5231311252's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Your use of the words "personal enjoyment" make my teeth hurt, because it drives home the point of how he was objectifying the children...in fact, that is my response to MP as well...to compare what he was doing to adult consensual sex or the extreme of being celibate is ridiculous. He was photographing them bound and gagged in bondage positions? Even better. I think I'd like to beat the living fuck out of this person myself. Gimme a tire iron.


    Cuz lord knows prison should be a safe haven, akin to a kindergarten or a battered women's shelter. Prison should be a place you DON'T wanna go. And yeah, I'm totally okay with that.
    Where did anyone say that? Oh right, that's you being overly dramatic. It's always going to be a place that the majority won't want to be sent to. Yet despite knowing about rapes, beatings and murder in prison, people keep ending up there and the number of new prisoners keeps growing. Prison doesn't even faze some of these people anymore and these are the ones committing most of the atrocities. I'd much rather see them executed than to keep wasting money on shit that isn't working and shit that escalates the problem.

  7. #67
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5231311252 View Post
    Oh I suppose you're above such impulses. Tell me - if someone was attacking you or your family, would you be able to defend yourself if there were no police around for miles? We have these violent instincts for a very, very good reason.


    Where did anyone say that? Oh right, that's you being overly dramatic. It's always going to be a place that the majority won't want to be sent to. Yet despite knowing about rapes, beatings and murder in prison, people keep ending up there and the number of new prisoners keeps growing. If this mess couldn't reach me, I most likely wouldn't even think about it.
    I think you changed your post. Didn't you say that some people want to go there? You know, once upon a time, NO ONE wanted to go to prison, because it was that bad.

    Maybe it should be that bad again, and maybe it should only be for serious offenders, and we'll just put all of the drug addicts and petty theives in psychiatric hospitals instead.

    As an aside, I've heard that streets in Singapore are really clean.

  8. #68
    XES 5231311252's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Oh I suppose you're above such impulses. Tell me - if someone was attacking you or your family, would you be able to defend yourself if there were no police around for miles? We have these violent instincts for a very, very good reason.
    There's a difference in defending yourself from an attack and beating someone who has already been arraigned to death.

    Maybe it should only be for serious offenders, and we'll just put all of the drug addicts and petty theives in psychiatric hospitals instead.
    That's a much better proposal than the current situation.

  9. #69
    Senior Member Moonstone3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9, 5
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Lark, Halla 74 and Marmalade Sunrise +10
    Think of this, if you can, How well does America know that this 'inhumanity' goes on in prisons? It seems by this thread and all the online BS that it is well known. Did that stop all this convicted molesters from doing their selfish, consequential actions? Hell no.
    And yes, it does scar you forever. FOREVER.
    I would gladly own my mistakes. I would sit in prison for something that I had done to change someone's life, behavior, anxiety, thought processes and daily routines for as long as my sentence. I know people like that get raped in jail, so that is also on my list of why I will never do anything like that. Every consequence has an action. I learned that when I was 5. But these poor offenders must've missed that memo, huh?
    I sit with criminal charges FOREVER from a man who tried to rape me and pressed retaliatory charges. I sat in court on a jury trail for 11 hours, to see him walk free and the women on the jury walk by him and smile. I was not the first complaint.
    As for these people striking again. Sure. They are mad they got caught. Most of them went into these actions thinking they couldn't get caught. Now that they're caught, what do they have to lose? Back a man in a corner, take away his 'assumed reputation', his wife, his home, his money, and his guns, and see what he does next.
    This perpetrator of mine is not sorry. He prosecuted me right back, and filed charges an hour after leaving prison. I feared for my life. Everyone who wants to sit here and say, 'well if it was you, you'd think differently about the cruel punishment in jail...' Well, if it WAS you sitting on the defendant side, you'd think differently too.
    As for the rapists in jail, they should have their peckers chopped off, too. But hey, we're not putting these offenders in with Sunday school teachers. They are going to live with arsonists, murderers, and the like, so it's not going to be peaches and cream.
    So, why is all this such a big shocker?
    As for false accusation? I laugh out loud. Those are less than 5-7% nationwide. Nationwide. It is hard to get someone registered as an offender.
    Speaking of sex offenders, I see a regular pawn customer twice a week that is registered for sodomy on a 4 year old. The perverse monstrosities that come out of his mouth to me and also delving into his personal sexual life are nauseating to say the least. Do I wait on him humanely? Hells no I don't. I don't go near him, because I know somewhere inside him his eyes have seen my nightmares, and his mind has made a choice to subject someone else to suffering. He may well have been in his victim's shoes in jail, and so be it.
    My son was recently abused on the school bus, during his very first week of school, by 3 8 year olds. I am a mother, and since it happened to me, it is my worst nightmare for it to happen to my children. Yes, they were 8, and they need to feel the natural order of cause and effect. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. If nothing less, maybe these offenders can look into a mirror when getting it back in return. Everyone likes their reflection, right? If they don't, maybe they would be more inclined to change it. Every adult makes their own reality, and sometimes, unfortunately the reality of surrounding children. I think it's rather important to get back what we give out, so we can see a true image of what we are doing!
    We're all talking about placing yourself in someone's shoes, right? Think back to when you were 5, what if someone you trusted violated your very being? Yes, I would pull the trigger. Hand it to me.
    What is normal to one, is incomprehensible to another.

    ALL anger in this world stems from a lack of control.


    All of reality bows to the illusion of life and death.

  10. #70
    Senior Member Moonstone3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9, 5
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Throw a rock in a pond, and watch the ripples.
    What is normal to one, is incomprehensible to another.

    ALL anger in this world stems from a lack of control.


    All of reality bows to the illusion of life and death.

Similar Threads

  1. Obama says marijuana should be treated like ‘cigarettes or alcohol’
    By Beargryllz in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-25-2016, 06:38 PM
  2. Should access to the internet be a human right?
    By EcK in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-28-2012, 02:03 PM
  3. Supreme Court: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely
    By Lateralus in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 05-18-2010, 06:37 PM
  4. How literally should the Bible be interpreted?
    By Kiddo in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: 02-02-2008, 07:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO