User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should sex offenders be treated humanely (in prison)?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

50 73.53%
  • No.

13 19.12%
  • Unsure.

5 7.35%
First 1234513 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    "The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons." - Fyodor Dostoevsky
    Now did he mean the style of imprisonment or the sort of offender which was there would be the indicator?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I think this thread could benefit from a poll. Make it anonymous so people can vote as they please regardless of the general consensus reached in-thread. Personally I believe they should be treated humanely, for much the same reason I oppose the death penalty. What if the person is innocent of the charges? That's not the only reason, but surely it's sufficiently compelling?
    Perhaps there are innocent casualties of any system, is it that easy to innocently fall foul of it? Its not like we're talking about Guildford Four or Birmingham Six or other politicised example.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

My money is on the first. This is the basic idea behind Amnesty Intenational.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    My money is on the first. This is the basic idea behind Amnesty Intenational.
    Perhaps but I believe the later interpretation is more indicative of the standard of civilisation in any country, you could have prisons which are essentially excellent accomodation, like a five star hotel, but if they are full of the most loathesome individuals who prey upon the innocent, weak, law abidding, then civilisation hasnt really taken root. Perhaps it is a society which is simply terrified of the animals in its midst?

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Ah now, seriously? Who approves of rape, institutionalised cruelty and beatings? I think this is just one of those dumb things which gets repeated as fact.

Two things I want to say about this. First, I believe its a myth that people support violence against child sex offenders, people are not naturally inclined to approve of cruelty and violence, definitely not rape, and in fact this is the very reason why they have such a low opinion of child sex offenders in the first place.
    It's not a myth and apparently you didn't take the time to read through the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    its astonishing you even have to ask this question....
    What's so astonishing? I didn't have to ask anything, I simply wanted to see what Typology members thought about the situation.

It's the irony of the phrase "treated humanely", if this means be given the same treatment as the jews in WWII or the hundreds of thousands people that were/is tourtured and massacred in African civil wars, the answer would be yes.
    Doesn't matter what word I would have used, someone would have bitched about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I'd prefer to have them executed.

(1) They can never be a repeat offender, and these type of criminals have a high recedeivisim rate.

(2) They do not have to risk inhumane treatment in prison, because they are dead.

(3) I am sick of taxpayers paying $45,000 per year to keep criminals incarcerated. The bigger side of this problem is that there are too many NON-VIOLENT (aka drug) offenders serving long sentences. What is a side effect of this? VIOLENT criminals are let out early because the jails are crowded. I'd prefer to spend the money used to jail people with substance abuse problems on rehabilitation programs, because they can be rehabilitated, and to permanently eliminate the sick fucks who think it is OK to sexually assault women and children.
    This could be a good solution and it's not only because of the things you've listed. If they're assaulted like Pinto was, they'll come out even more deranged and then the problem escalates.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would support this behavior by people in the prison system. If you believe sentences for sex offenders are not strong enough, lobby for stronger sentences. I doubt you'll find many people willing to oppose you.

We cannot allow people in positions of authority to abuse their authority in this way, ever, regardless of how much we might detest the "victim". It's unacceptable.
    Because some people can't read an article and realize it's a civil rights issue and an abuse of power.
    Those are the same people who would scream the loudest if their own rights were violated.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Perhaps but I believe the later interpretation is more indicative of the standard of civilisation in any country, you could have prisons which are essentially excellent accomodation, like a five star hotel, but if they are full of the most loathesome individuals who prey upon the innocent, weak, law abidding, then civilisation hasnt really taken root. Perhaps it is a society which is simply terrified of the animals in its midst?
    I have yet to see a five star hotel style orison. The animal within will always exist, meaning individual violence will always exist. Civilization is about restraining that impulse on a collective level and finding less archaic, more rational and humane ways of solving problems.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

There are issues of mental and emotional illness for many sex offenders. Who would choose such a thing if they had full comprehension of health? There is nothing justified in allowing or acting on cruel and punishing behaviors. There needs to be more research and understanding of cause and effect for this type of violator so that the behavior can be understood and rehabilitated and/or prevented.

With this level of terror heaped on this sort of sex offender - who is ever going to seek help for fear of being imprisoned? Such a person is alone with their illness. How is that going to minimize the violating behavior? It won't. It is ineffective and perpetuates violation to respond in cruelty.

What has occurred is that on encountering a violator, the guards and fellow prisoners felt justified to violate and have become mirrors of violence. They have amplified the original source and perpetuated it in the context of whatever violation they are personal capable of committing. The world is now an amplified version of the original suffering. Nothing is fixed. Nothing is better.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    Yes, sex offenders should be treated humanely in prison (as should every inmate and criminal) because human rights apply equally to everyone. Yes his acts were disgusting but so are the acts committed by the prison guards and other inmates
    Yes, my thoughts exactly.

And yes, a lot of people do approve of such treatment, including prison rape, of child molesters. In fact, prison rape has become the subject of a fair number of jokes in the US, which makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. Yes, these people are criminals, but I don't find rape humorous under any circumstance. Maybe I'm a serious, oversensitive INFJ, but so be it.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

From my vantage point all violators have more in common than different. They are all people who have reacted to their lives with a sense of entitlement to violate. The specific nature of the violation only speaks to the specific nature of whatever personally caused that inclination in them in the first place. In that way a prisoner willing to rape a child molester is (hypothetically) also the person willing to violate a child when their personal life experiences and mental problems justify that application of the behavior. The willingness to violate is in principle the same, but it's application is varied based on specific circumstances within the individual life. One form of violation does not derive its justification from another. The rapist is not superior to the molester. He is the molester placed in a different life context. One form of violation is triggered by another in much the same way a disease spreads.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)