User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should sex offenders be treated humanely (in prison)?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

50 73.53%
  • No.

13 19.12%
  • Unsure.

5 7.35%
First 10181920

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Violence towards insane people solves nothing. There is no thinking power devoted to analyzing the problem (the fact that some percentage of people are insane in this way).

The government's job should be to solve the problem; that's all. The short-term solution is to remove their ability to harm again (put them away). The long-term solution is to study the nature of the people with this sort of thinking. What else would actually help if the goal is to minimize the damage this kind of insanity causes?

The death penalty (or cruel treatment in prison) is really just a mechanism for revenge. Bad things happen to good people, so make bad things happen to bad people too! Unfortunately, this just means there are more bad things overall. Not to mention the fact that SOMEONE has to actually commit the act against the wrongdoer, making them a wrongdoer as well.

It seems to me that the pro-causing-pain-or-killing side really just wants to be able to get revenge on someone that hurts them. They just want the government to do it so it seems more objective or something.

I think everyone should minimize the damage they do. If bad shit happens, it's a sunk cost (as in, doing something after the fact can't change the fact). I think we can all agree that getting revenge (not for the sake of setting precedents) makes situations worse. So why do we allow it when the state does it? When prison workers don't stop it? When inmates do it to each other?

Solving violence with violence just seems so obviously inefficient.
    One round in the head, they're out of circulation permanently. It's not like we're lacking for people at the end of the day.

Unless you're saying that perhaps one of these people will one day cure cancer I fail to see the point of preserving them beyond some religious conviction regarding the sanctity of human life.

The question is, how much is enough? At what point does a person lose their "right" to another chance?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    One round in the head, they're out of circulation permanently. It's not like we're lacking for people at the end of the day.
    Like I said, that too has moral consequences that society takes the brunt of.

Unless you're saying that perhaps one of these people will one day cure cancer I fail to see the point of preserving them beyond some religious conviction regarding the sanctity of human life.
    It's a precedent thing. If the social goal is to decrease violence, using violence to get there is less than optimal. (Did you read my post?)

The question is, how much is enough? At what point does a person lose their "right" to another chance?
    Life in prison isn't much of another chance. But we should do the best we can for people, even people we don't like.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

The death penalty (or cruel treatment in prison) is really just a mechanism for revenge.
    If I want revenge extracted upon someone, killing them is the last thing I'd want to do. I'd like violent offenders to get the death penalty because I think it's the best option. Obviously there are going to be some problems with this method, but I really think this would be a lot better than the current handling of things. The other idea is to exile them to an inescapable island, which would almost guarantee their deaths.

I know I'm going off a bit, but it's much bigger than revenge and I just really think there are much better ways to spend sixty billion.
    The United States incarcerates more people than any other country on earth, with almost 2.4 million persons behind bars on any given day. That figure, though, actually understates the number of people being locked up; the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS), a division of the US Department of Justice, estimates that more than 13 million people pass through the nation's jails in a single year.

Of course being the world's leading prison nation comes with a price tag. The average annual operating cost for a prison bed -- the amount it costs to incarcerate one person for one year -- is about $24,000; in some states, it's more than $40,000. All told, the United States spends about $60 billion a year on locking people up.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Like I said, that too has moral consequences that society takes the brunt of.
    As does everything. Putting one moral higher than another is personal choice.
    It's a precedent thing. If the social goal is to decrease violence, using violence to get there is less than optimal. (Did you read my post?)
    Yup.

Several comments come to mind.

If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
    You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.
    Decreasing violence does not equal a total cessation.
    Life in prison isn't much of another chance. But we should do the best we can for people, even people we don't like.
    So we should do the best for people we don't like, putting the ones we do like at increased risk?

We should incarcerate people because we're fine defining that from now until their death they nay never go outside again and we're going to dictate like 90% of their life but we don't have the confidence to actually remove them because that would be mean.

Yeah what a one sided myopic view of life. Given the choice between say 30 years incarceration and death... death is the easy option but fortunately also less costly and more secure. Escaping prison is one thing but you'd have to Melvin Death to escape!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    We should incarcerate people because we're fine defining that from now until their death they nay never go outside again and we're going to dictate like 90% of their life but we don't have the confidence to actually remove them because that would be mean.
    I think this is a good point.
    the shoheen ho of the wind of the west and the lulla lo of the soft sea billow - Alfred Graves

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Certain things are wrong, regardless of who they are being done to.

Being that the judge did not prescribe rape from inmates in the sentence, it is not just to allow that to happen.

Besides that, you can never truly know that the person in prison has actually committed the crime, unless you have video evidence. Allowing an even greater punishment than what they were sentenced to is incredibly wrong.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window