User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should sex offenders be treated humanely (in prison)?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

50 73.53%
  • No.

13 19.12%
  • Unsure.

5 7.35%
First 51314151617 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Are sex offenders lobotomized or castrated in any European countries?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    ^ Execution is pretty damn cruel. I think the Europeans are against the death penalty and think themselves less barbaric.
    I agree... they do think that.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Regardless of what the punishment is, if there is a failure rate within the justice system then that failure needs to be addressed. Reducing punishment isn't the solution here.
    So rapes in prison should be encouraged and condoned? LOL, that's funny coming from people who want to castrate rapists.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    Castration? Lobotomy? Really? I though an advanced civilzation like ours was beyond draconic punishments like these. People some words of advice; don't let your personal hatred and predjudice against criminals cloud your judgment on how to effectively deal with them; regardless of how one feels we must as a society construct a fair system of inprisonment and punishment, one where all are punished in an manner according to their crimes committed. In the case of a pedophile who has sexually abused a child the most human and fair punishment would be execution, for there are little methods to rid the criminal of his psychological condition. A simple excecution negates the need for suffereing by replacing with a simple disposing of the criminal, through quick/painless means. this is the only ethical punishment that I see fit for what the man did, and in doing so we not only ensure the safety of those in society, but we also show that we are byond cruelty towards others, regardless of what they have done.
    +500.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    ^ Execution is pretty damn cruel. I think the Europeans are against the death penalty and think themselves less barbaric.
    What do the Europeans have to do with the USA's justice system? Execution isn't nearly as cruel as cutting someone's dick off. And what would you suggest with female sex offenders? Cut their breasts off? Sew up their vaginas? Lmao...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    LOL, then they'd have to be in mental institutes for the rest of their lives and I don't like that idea.

On another note, I can't believe this thread is still going.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Which? It can't be both.
    Actually it can be both. I don't think its right on a strictly moral (moral based on whats best for the whole of society, not my feelings) basis because society should be better then that, but on a strictly personal level I think he should just accept his fate, its what he deserves.
    Ground control to Major Tom

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Rebe
    Execution is pretty damn cruel. I think the Europeans are against the death penalty and think themselves less barbaric.
    How is a quick, painless execution any more cruel than removing ones genetalia or brain matter, or letting them suffer the hostile environment of prison?

Oberon

The funny part about Billy's reply with the image from A Clockwork Orange is that Anthony Burgess wrote it as a dystopian morality play... a picture of a place we don't want to go. He portrayed the conditioning described in the picture as a kind of hell, and now Billy's all for heading there at top speed.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by 5231311252 View Post
    So rapes in prison should be encouraged and condoned? LOL, that's funny coming from people who want to castrate rapists.

+500.

What do the Europeans have to do with the USA's justice system? Execution isn't nearly as cruel as cutting someone's dick off. And what would you suggest with female sex offenders? Cut their breasts off? Sew up their vaginas? Lmao...

LOL, then they'd have to be in mental institutes for the rest of their lives and I don't like that idea.

On another note, I can't believe this thread is still going.
    Well in accordance to the movie, they werent in mental facilities for life, they were released in a fortnight after they were "cured" of thier violent impulses.

TBH

It didnt work so well on the main character in the film because he was just a violent youth and that was the point, he grew out of it in the 21st chapter.

Certain sickos cannot be reformed though, pedophiles who rape children for example, that impulse is always going to be there, maybe locking them up and physically harming them is just a waste of time, maybe they should just be "cured" like in the film.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    The funny part about Billy's reply with the image from A Clockwork Orange is that Anthony Burgess wrote it as a dystopian morality play... a picture of a place we don't want to go. He portrayed the conditioning described in the picture as a kind of hell, and now Billy's all for heading there at top speed.
    Yeah well Burgess wasnt talking about pedophiles who rape children. He was talking about youths who grow out of violence as they age. Which is why Alex the protagonist rejects violence and rape in the 21st chapter numerologically speaking 21 being the age of maturity.

If you are saying that pedophiles who rape children will grow out of that, then yeah I guess I am just a big jerkface. The reality outside of the novel though is that they don't. ANd we either have to lock them up or fix them. I would see locking them up for life as much more cruel. But you probably just want to lower the age of consent to 11 or 12 right?

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Are sex offenders lobotomized or castrated in any European countries?
    The Czech Republic allows castrations. Poland has a new chemical castration law and there's probably more. Also Belarus still has the death penalty and some other European countries use the death penalty for special circumstances.

If you are saying that pedophiles who rape children will grow out of that, then yeah I guess I am just a big jerkface. The reality outside of the novel though is that they don't. ANd we either have to lock them up or fix them. I would see locking them up for life as much more cruel. But you probably just want to lower the age of consent to 11 or 12 right?
    There is a man who raped and murdered a boy who was voluntarily castrated:

avel remembers the violent night sweats two days before the murder. He went to see a family doctor, who said they would go away. But after viewing a Bruce Lee martial arts film, he said, he felt uncontrollable sexual desires. He invited a 12-year-old neighbor home. Then he stabbed the boy repeatedly.

His psychiatrist says Pavel derived his sexual pleasure from the violence.

More than 20 years have passed. Pavel, then 18, spent seven years in prison and five years in a psychiatric institution. During his last year in prison, he asked to be surgically castrated. Having his testicles removed, he said, was like draining the gasoline from a car hard-wired to crash. A large, dough-faced man, he is sterile and has forsaken marriage, romantic relationships and sex, he said. His life revolves around a Catholic charity, where he is a gardener.

“I can finally live knowing that I am no harm to anybody,” he said during an interview at a McDonald’s here, as children played loudly nearby. “I am living a productive life. I want to tell people that there is help.”

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Actually it can be both. I don't think its right on a strictly moral (moral based on whats best for the whole of society, not my feelings) basis because society should be better then that, but on a strictly personal level I think he should just accept his fate, its what he deserves.
    This is a use of the term "deserves" that I've never seen before. I think you've got some discord between what you think and what you feel.

If abuse is what the criminal truly deserves, then there's no reason why society should withhold it from him. On the other hand, if society really should be better than that, then it is truly right and just that the criminal be spared. The two premises are incompatable, they cannot be simultaneously true.