User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should sex offenders be treated humanely (in prison)?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

50 73.53%
  • No.

13 19.12%
  • Unsure.

5 7.35%
First 41213141516 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Hmm, I think you're confusing sex and violence, rape is an act of violence and without a penis a male rapist is just going to find another way to violate their target.

The castration solution wont work on the female offenders and a lot of male adult sex offences against children are bizarre, frequently involving their own trauma, crisis or psycho-sexual disorders, its not all genital.

Basically the whole gummit of fetishism, sado-machoism and perversion which was once pathologised when it went on between conscenting adults but which no one cares about any longer really shows up in the abuse of children and vulnerable persons.

Sometimes that's the whole point. Remove the element of deviance and some offenders will have to some how find it again, often escalating to worse and worse obscene or abnormal behaviour to do so.
    Yes. Agree. I forgot to finish my thought. I meant to say that castration would make it worse, that's why I mentioned execution as the better choice between the two. Except for the accuracy part.

Regardless of what the punishment is, if there is a failure rate within the justice system then that failure needs to be addressed. Reducing punishment isn't the solution here.
    Yes. But we still have to be careful about the ethical lines we choose to cross.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    Yes. But we still have to be careful about the ethical lines we choose to cross.
    That's another matter entirely. On that point, I would think that draconian punishment for draconian crimes is only fitting. Wouldn't you say?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

Can't drum up any sympathy for sex offenders.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    That's another matter entirely. On that point, I would think that draconian punishment for draconian crimes is only fitting. Wouldn't you say?
    Perhaps... but if you let that be your leading principle you can justify any abuse. You can have a gulag, or killing fields, or a Holy Inquisition. You can be Vlad Tepes if you like.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Vlad the Impaler was awesome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    My gut instinct is to support this you know, to say hang 'em high, flog 'em, beat 'em, maul 'em but I've been in positions where I've been the one administering sanctions and punishments and I've made observations.

Entirely different scenario and with some harder cases I think there's no point taking a softer approach. However, I would say that administering punishments can change people, especially if they arent that self-aware to begin with. I'm unsure that I would put the corruption label on it but it definitely does have an impact and shape your personality.

You dont want to kill the humanity in yourself because you have to deal with some human turned animal you know?

I remember stories about the holocaust about how the Nazi's knew about the impact upon soldiers who where enlisted in the death camps and witnessed mass killings, they would rotate them so that none of them was unable to kill on command, traumatised individuals where sent off to die on the Eastern front. It was an argument I got familiar with in debates between Ghandi supporters and physical force politicos.
    Not that I've ever personally been in the position, as you have, of issuing punishments, but I can imagine that yes, it's not easy, to say the least. I don't know what the best solution is but I think that those issues are still not enough to outweigh the danger that hard-core child molesters and rapists pose to society. Plus that I think it's absurd to make the victims and victims' families contribute to their maintenance (through taxes).
    the shoheen ho of the wind of the west and the lulla lo of the soft sea billow - Alfred Graves

MBTI
    INFJ

I dont approve of what is happening to him, but do I think he had it coming... well... thats another story. Maybe instead of locking up sex offenders specifically pedophiles who molest and abuse children we could just give them a frontal lobotomy or something. Make them meek enough that tey can still be a greeter at walmart, but dumb enough that they cant put together a cognitive thought about abusing someone.

or something like this?

Ground control to Major Tom

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    I dont approve of what is happening to him...

...but do I think he had it coming...
    Which? It can't be both.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Castration? Lobotomy? Really? I though an advanced civilzation like ours was beyond draconic punishments like these. People some words of advice; don't let your personal hatred and predjudice against criminals cloud your judgment on how to effectively deal with them; regardless of how one feels we must as a society construct a fair system of inprisonment and punishment, one where all are punished in an manner according to their crimes committed. In the case of a pedophile who has sexually abused a child the most human and fair punishment would be execution, for there are little methods to rid the criminal of his psychological condition. A simple excecution negates the need for suffereing by replacing with a simple disposing of the criminal, through quick/painless means. this is the only ethical punishment that I see fit for what the man did, and in doing so we not only ensure the safety of those in society, but we also show that we are byond cruelty towards others, regardless of what they have done.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

^ Execution is pretty damn cruel. I think the Europeans are against the death penalty and think themselves less barbaric.