User Tag List

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Default ACTA-The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement

Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    What does this all mean?
    Anyone heard of this?

I overheard some people talking about and they were saying it would bring the end of the internet. And that criminal charges can and would be held against you for mere suspicions. Censorship much?

Also, my gut tells me crime and violence would SKYROCKET as a result.

Youtube would go down. So would all other forms of internet entertainment. Assuming the bill takes its full effect, that is.

But I don't know a whole lot on the issue... what'chyall think?
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Based on the comments I've read about it, I don't know how it could possibly be constitutional.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Well, this is a load of crap. If it can go through as it is, it sounds like a nice step toward dystopia. I hope that it doesn't make through, or that if it does, it goes over as well as prohibition.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Yeah, I can't even begin to believe that today's politicians would let this go through. Seems like just a bunch of conservative corporate businessmen that are suffering from the recession.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic View Post
    Yeah, I can't even begin to believe that today's politicians would let this go through. Seems like just a bunch of conservative corporate businessmen that are suffering from the recession.
    Yeah... those people happen to have more leverage on politicians than possibly anyone, including voters. It would be a hard sell, and probably more trouble than it's worth, but do not doubt the stupidity things politicans will do on the strings of business interests.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

they wont do this. all this will do is create such a staunch demand for servers/hosts outside of the countries of agreement that they'd basically be shooting themselves in the foot. Why not just hold up a big sign saying "Hey russians/Ukrainians, go make some fucking money off of this because we dont want to anymore, we wanna be whiny ass int. property holders.". Edgar and his family back home will be sitting dirty on massive servers feeding us our youtube videos and free mp3s, and raking in the big money, because itll all be illegal but yet available.

then again, the politicians dont even understand the economics behind the drug war and why it cant be won, and wonder why in the hell drug dealers make so much fucking money. so maybe they cant understand or see the potential market in countries that dont sign this agreement. /shrug

I agree its stupidity, but you guys are exaggerating what kind of stupid it is. its not gonna be "the end of the internet" or a dystopia, its going to be us shooting ourselves in the foot. whatever happened to adam smith as our guiding light for economic decisions? exchange => wealth, and right now unregulated internet traffic of content/media is making us more wealthy than ever before(at least in entertainment and what not). restricting it will make us and even our business leaders LESS wealthy, not more.

Its another one of those things which will have been dreamt up by free marketeers, for free marketeers but which doesnt involve actual freedom from controls other than market forces and free exchange but instead monopolies and private central planning.

All this is going to lead to a command economy with all the problems associated with that, when that happens we'll be told its the best of all possible worlds and any alternative is either impossible or a lot worse, as we've always been told but people didnt used to always believe when they where told it.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    I agree its stupidity, but you guys are exaggerating what kind of stupid it is. its not gonna be "the end of the internet" or a dystopia...
    I said it was a step toward it. And the the main thing that counter-acts it is merely the fact that there will be countries that aren't going to do it. If every country did (not that I'm saying there's risk of that happening) it would be a pretty sucky step in the wrong direction for society, no?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

yeah I totally agree it would be, and would def be a step towards corporatocracy or w/e its called as well. the only way to make this worldwide effective is if every country in the world signed on (fat chance as you suggest) and implemented stops and controls ala china's way of enforcing the net. As Lat said, totally unconstitutional to enforce by law, so even if the lawmakers pass this, all it will do is shift the servers and hosts to overseas, because they cant legally block us from getting a 4MB file from some host in Romania.